VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to wire a on/off toggle switch onto a jumper (actually the address selector jumper on the PCMIDI card). I suppose it applies to any other jumper you want to be able to easily open/close.

I have attached a photo of an example switch.

There are three connectors obviously....do I connect 2 of them to the jumper wires, and the third to ground? Is it clear which is which?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    55.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know the model of that switch, but it looks like it is for supplying power to a switched load or has an illuminated surface. You won't need power, and definitely don't tie it to ground. You'll want to use a multimeter to test which leads have continuity when you switch it on and off. The switch you show can be used, but it would be much cheaper and easier just to use a simple toggle switch with two leads. Then wire them to the two jumper leads.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I used back in the day when I had a 486 DX2-66 as my only computer was a two wire case LED wire with connectors on both ends. Then I cut a tiny hole in the case and glued it there so it was flush with the case.

Then to jumper it, I had a piece of paper-clip that I bent into a U shape. Take it out when you want the jumper off and put it in when you want it jumpered.

Also had that little piece of paper-clip tied to the case with a string so I wouldn't lose it.

I have thought about making a toggle switch block for changing fsb and multiplier settings without having to open the case. Probably mount all the switches to a 5.25" drive bay cover.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 9, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote:

I want to wire a on/off toggle switch onto a jumper (actually the address selector jumper on the PCMIDI card). I suppose it applies to any other jumper you want to be able to easily open/close.

I have attached a photo of an example switch.

There are three connectors obviously....do I connect 2 of them to the jumper wires, and the third to ground? Is it clear which is which?

You first need to identify which of the three terminals is "common" - two methods here:
1) Look at the switch and look for a terminal marked "COM" or "C"
2) Use a continuity tester/buzzer/bleeper or a multimeter. Put one probe on the centre pin, and another on the left pin. If you don't get a beep, operate the switch. If you still don't get a beep, then the pin you weren't probing is common. If you do get a beep, operate the switch and move one of the probes to the other pin. If it beeps, the probe you didn't move is on the common pin.

Secondly, look at your jumper header.
If it has two pins (i.e. the jumper is "ON" or "OFF"), connect the common terminal on the switch to one pin, and one of the other terminals on the switch to the other pin. Leave the third pin on the switch unconnected (and put some insulating tape on it).

If the header has three pins, and has two positions (for example 3 pins labelled 1,2 and 3, and the link is set to 1-2 or 2-3), connect the common terminal on the switch to the central pin.
Connect the two other pins to the outer pins of the set of three (for example for 3 pins labelled 1,2 and 3, connect the common terminal to 2, and the other terminals to 1 and 3).

You might want to consider using pre-terminated jumper wires to connect to the PCB headers - search for "female jumper wires" or "male to female jumper wires".

The no-nos are:
a) Do not connect unused switch pins to ground.
b) Unless you know what you are doing, do not use a SPDT switch (with three terminals) to replace a two position jumper which uses four pins (for example, 4 pins labelled "Link 1 and Link 2" of which you fit one link, but not both, or 4 pins labelled 1,2,3,4 and you fit 1-2 or 3-4, but not both) (Hint: use a DPDT switch (six terminals), and wire each pole to a separate pair).

Reply 4 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These 3-pin switches all work the same. The center pin connects to either the left or right one, depending on the position of the switch. It's a toggle switch. When switching, one closes and one opens connection to the center pin.

So you connect the center pin and one of the other pins to the 2 pins of the jumper. That's it.

Reply 5 of 9, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@mdog69 thanks, I have no idea it would be this complicated. The jumper is just two pins, I.e. open close. I was hoping I could just find a simple toggle switch but they almost all have three connectors. It seem I underestimated the humble switch.

Reply 6 of 9, by T.J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote:

The jumper is just two pins, I.e. open close. I was hoping I could just find a simple toggle switch

Try looking for a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) switch, they are either open (off) or closed (on) with only have two terminals and are pretty much the switch equivalent to a jumper - if your in the UK something like would do the job.

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppw01075/sw … t=spst%20switch

Reply 7 of 9, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
T.J wrote:
kolderman wrote:

The jumper is just two pins, I.e. open close. I was hoping I could just find a simple toggle switch

Try looking for a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) switch, they are either open (off) or closed (on) with only have two terminals and are pretty much the switch equivalent to a jumper - if your in the UK something like would do the job.

Looks like the OP has already got a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch in a style they like, which will do the job just fine.

Reply 8 of 9, by T.J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mdog69 wrote:
T.J wrote:
kolderman wrote:

Looks like the OP has already got a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch in a style they like, which will do the job just fine.

Sorry, must have miss-read some of the op's posts - got the impression the rocker switch wad only an example and ideally they wanted one with two terminals rather than three for ease of installation.

Reply 9 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
T.J wrote:
mdog69 wrote:
T.J wrote:

Sorry, must have miss-read some of the op's posts - got the impression the rocker switch wad only an example and ideally they wanted one with two terminals rather than three for ease of installation.

Well, it's not harder to use the one pictured in the OP. Just use the common pin in the middle, and any of the other two. Leave the last one unconnected 😀