VOGONS

First post, by Yart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EDIT: This thread is pointless as I've found out. The moral of the story is to make sure you're actually installing the correct drivers for your device. 🤣. Thanks Tiido!

You know what I love? When you set which IRQs and addresses are available in the BIOS of an IBM PC350 and then good ol' Windows 98 goes and resets everything you set despite telling the BIOS not to allow an OS to do just that.

You know what else I love? When you set up your AWE32 to use IRQ 5, DMA 1 and High DMA 5 in DOS, and then you start Windows 98 and it too is set up for those same settings, but then it tells your BIOS that those settings are reserved, so next time you boot the computer and DOS starts up the driver throws an error saying that those settings are not available and the driver doesn't load, forcing you to go back into the BIOS to change all the IRQs and address availability all over again.

😒 Anyone else experience the bug where "Set Device Node" set to "Disabled" does nothing in the "Plug and Play Control" option? Does anyone know of any secret fixed BIOSes floating around the web lost to time or somethin'? I've already updated the BIOS to the latest I could possibly find.

I'm tempted to try to write my own program that just resets all the IRQs back to available in the BIOS on DOS bootup before the drivers load, but I have no idea where to even start with that. It has to be a generic location in RAM or something though considering that it's Windows 98 that's doing it on me using what I presume is generic code. Anyone know where to start with learning how to write such a thing? Any book or document recommendations?

Other than that it's a pretty okay computer. 😜 Sorry for the whiney post! It had to come out after days of utter frustration.

Last edited by Yart on 2019-09-11, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Disable pnp OS in the bios.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 2, by Yart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sadly such a feature with that name does not exist. 🙁 It's a straight up IBM system with its own unique BIOS that is neither Award or AMI.

QrpDmBy.jpg

yW0s5Jl.jpg

The biggest lie I've ever known.
sO6tT0s.jpg
n1I7rwG.jpg

What the resource options look like:
Nz0t9tL.jpg
E8210u6.jpg
1dS6UyT.jpg

Specs I guess. Ridiculous amount of memory for a Socket 7. It can go up to 192MB apparently. Sadly it has a 8.4GB HDD limit but it can be overcome with OnTrack Disk Manager. (It's a very nice tool!!)
LmC9M0n.jpg

Seriously this thing would be amazing if it wasn't for that one issue. I want to try hacking the BIOS but I don't wanna brick this thing. 😖 I'd rather figure out how to reset the IRQs back to available at the start of every boot instead with the hopes of making someone else's life easier down the road.

Bonus cat. (In Paintbrush)
06kwyG1.jpg