Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby RiP » 2019-9-10 @ 19:54

I've just noticed that the onboard IDE controller of ATC-1415 has poor speed:
https://i.imgur.com/1VtXEok.jpg

After plugging the VT6421A PCI IDE card:
https://i.imgur.com/y7ZjUsp.jpg

The BIOS version is 3.30 running Win98SE with 32MB of FPM RAM + AMD 5x86 :confused:
User avatar
RiP
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 2017-11-24 @ 09:05

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby derSammler » 2019-9-10 @ 19:59

Most likely because the on-board IDE is connected to the ISA bus.
derSammler
l33t
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby RiP » 2019-9-10 @ 20:35

Are you sure? If I remember, the IDE of SiS 486 was quite fast. I thought ISA bus speed should be about 8-16MB/s :confused:
I found this too:

https://i.imgur.com/zw4ixhS.jpg
User avatar
RiP
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 2017-11-24 @ 09:05

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby Deksor » 2019-9-10 @ 22:41

Have you enabled DMA mode in Windows 95 ? (you need OSR2+ to do that)

Also, I think the chipset can have a driver to improve speed a little bit, but I'm not sure it's compatible with 95 (only DOS and Windows 3.1).

But UMC's IDE implementation isn't as good as SiS' implementation on their late PCI 486 chipset.
SiS supports PIO4, UMC supports PIO3 at best. (And no it's not connected to the ISA bus as far as I know, thankfully)
Deksor
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: 2016-6-07 @ 14:37

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby derSammler » 2019-9-11 @ 07:36

RiP wrote:I thought ISA bus speed should be about 8-16MB/s :confused:

ISA is theoretically able to transfer 16.6 MB/s at most, but that's just a figure. IDE over ISA never reached speed even close to that.

RiP wrote:https://i.imgur.com/zw4ixhS.jpg

PCI-to-ISA-Bridge with IDE. That's quite unambiguous to me.
derSammler
l33t
 
Posts: 2196
Joined: 2017-4-14 @ 11:30
Location: Germany

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby RiP » 2019-9-11 @ 11:28

Deksor wrote:Have you enabled DMA mode in Windows 95 ? (you need OSR2+ to do that)

Also, I think the chipset can have a driver to improve speed a little bit, but I'm not sure it's compatible with 95 (only DOS and Windows 3.1).

But UMC's IDE implementation isn't as good as SiS' implementation on their late PCI 486 chipset.
SiS supports PIO4, UMC supports PIO3 at best. (And no it's not connected to the ISA bus as far as I know, thankfully)


I'm using Win98SE.
User avatar
RiP
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 2017-11-24 @ 09:05

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby Deksor » 2019-9-11 @ 12:08

Well it's the same, have you enabled dma mode in 98 ? You have to go in the device manager and go to the hdd's properties to enable it.
Deksor
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: 2016-6-07 @ 14:37

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby RiP » 2019-9-12 @ 07:31

Deksor wrote:Well it's the same, have you enabled dma mode in 98 ? You have to go in the device manager and go to the hdd's properties to enable it.


There's no DMA checkbox for it since the chipset doesn't support DMA at all.
User avatar
RiP
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 2017-11-24 @ 09:05

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby RiP » 2019-9-12 @ 18:02

Deksor wrote:SiS supports PIO4, UMC supports PIO3 at best. (And no it's not connected to the ISA bus as far as I know, thankfully)


It seems you're right:
Attachments
pci.jpg
User avatar
RiP
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 2017-11-24 @ 09:05

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby arteq » 2019-9-13 @ 12:38

sorry for off topic
could you please take a photo of motherboard (area with voltage regulator ) ? thank you in advance
arteq
Newbie
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 2015-11-16 @ 20:25

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby RiP » 2019-9-13 @ 18:31

This board can't overclock AMD 5x86 at all...

arteq wrote:sorry for off topic
could you please take a photo of motherboard (area with voltage regulator ) ? thank you in advance
Attachments
1415.jpg
User avatar
RiP
Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 2017-11-24 @ 09:05

Re: Problem with A-trend ATC-1415

Postby arteq » 2019-9-13 @ 19:30

@RiP
i am appreciated for your help :)
arteq
Newbie
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 2015-11-16 @ 20:25


Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dionb, Doornkaat, dr.ido, Google [Bot], HanJammer, hwh, Nemo1985, pan069, PTherapist and 20 guests