Rank

I have the following specs in a Win 98 PC:

P3 933 MHz
512MB RAM
Riva TNT 2
Voodoo 2 SLI
SoundBlaster AWE 64
64GB SD Card in SD to IDE converter

Normally I'm running 3D games via the Voodoo 2's at 1024x768. Under normal circumstances, everything works well (60+ FPS most of the time, except for the most taxing games), but when my NIC is enabled, I get frame rate drops (upwards of 15FPS in some cases, depending on the game geometry, texture fill, etc.). I've tried 3 different brands, and all 3 drop my frame rates in all games at that resolution. Of course, if I drop resolution, my performance remains above 60 FPS. I'm assuming that the CPU is being taxed heavily at 1024x768, but I thought at 933MHz, I'd have enough headway so as to not bottleneck the Voodoo cards if other background tasks are utilizing the CPU. The aforementioned NIC cards I've tried are a Realtek, Linksys, and 3Com. I specifically bought the 3Com to take advantage of its offload processing, and its ability to change configuration to a minimal CPU usage profile, but alas, the problem persists.

Of course, I can just disable the card in device manager when I'm not using it, and everything is fine. It's not like I need the PC on the network all the time. This issue is just an itch I have to scratch, and I thought I'd get an opinion here if this is normal behavior for the configuration I'm running. Is it normal for NIC cards in a PC of that era to be hitting the CPU hard enough to affect framerate at 1024x768 on a Voodoo 2 SLI config?

Reply 1 of 1, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you have an intel nic, uninstall the protools, and just use the driver, or just install the driver without the protools and additional software. the protools can be useful for adjusting the the cpu bandwidth the adpater uses however it uses cpu bandwidth as a resident service. so just dont use it. that being said 933mhz is more than fast enough and it shouldn't be a issue at all on that rig, its mainly only a issue on things slower than 500mhz in my opinion.

intel pro 100 without the protools and 3com nics use the least cpu.