VOGONS

First post, by Saperkus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a IBM ThinkPad 345C with IBM Credit Card Ethernet II Adapter (P/N: 42H4916). My goal is to get an access to my local FTP server. I had no issue with installing driver for the adapter and TCP/IP-32 v.3.11b for TCP/IP support. Device have original IBM preload installed (PC DOS 7.0 + WFWG 3.11) including PCMCIA management application (IBM PC Director), so I have no issues with the resources management. Also IBM test application reports no issues with adapter. When system BOOTs, driver automatically allocates resources for the device (it reports it) and status LEDs on switch starts to blink. However, once WFWG 3.11 will load, I have still no access to the network. Device is not able to get IP address from DHCP. Configuring static IP address also didn't help.
After some time I've found, that device doesn't get adapter's MAC address, however I have no idea what could cause such an issue. Novell NetWare (IPX) had no problem with getting MAC address. I also tested this adapter with Windows 95 and Windows 98SE (different device) and haven't experienced any issues.
The question is - how to debug such an issue? Maybe someone has experienced it in the past and know how to solve it?

Reply 1 of 1, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No DHCP address, No Mac, sounds like a driver/resource issue.
Win3x is pretty dumb and even though it reports no issues, the card could be configured for completely different resources or not even installed and windows things everything is fine.
I guess you could install Win95 just to ensure it works fine in that laptop.
Also have a mess around with the resources, Usually the driver disk should have a dos setup program that allows you to confirm what resources the card is using.

You could also try Mtcp and bypass Windows all together if you wanted?