VOGONS

First post, by ethanyq61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed a new heatsink + fan into my Pentium 200MMX pc, after the old one stopped working. After this, the computer would startup, showing a mem test of 640kb (I have 32mb installed). I went ahead and reinstalled the RAM and now it won't post, the screen is blank at startup. I tried reinstalling it a few times. Some of the thermal compound was smudged onto the surrounding metal on the top of the CPU, not the side with the pins. I cleaned it off with some tissue paper and it looks clean. Could some unseen residual paste be what's causing the problem?

I tried taking out the CMOS battery to reset BIOS values. I also removed everything from the motherboard and gradually built it back up again hoping it would work, but i've had no luck. I flick the power swich on and everything hums to life inside but there's nothing on the monitor.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 15, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you hear any beeps when you start the computer?

Try another RAM if you have any spares. Try another CPU or swap a VGA card. Is the connection from VGA cable to the monitor OK?

Disconnect floppy, HDD, CD/DVD ROM and start the computer If you haven't done that already.

Do you have Slot 1 computer or socket 7 computer? If it is Socket 1, then remove it again and clean the connectors with alcohol. If socket 7, remove the CPU and see if any pins are bend, and then install it again.

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 15, by ethanyq61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks fir the reply Turbo. I've switched out the RAM with some from my P3 machine (PC133 128mb) but had no luck, the socket 7 might not take that much RAM in its single 72 pin ram slot. The other slots are all 30 pin. What was more telling is that the 32mb PC 100 stick of RAM that was in the socket 7 machine, didn't work (black screen and no POST) when put in the P3 machine, I tried both ram slots. I believe PC 100 ram should work with the P3.
I have a new power supply coming this week and I will check the CPU pins again. I reseated everything on the motherboard including the CPU but i'm still getting a black screen at startup. I'll pick up another stick of 70 pin ram and 30 pin ram if possible. I'll let you know how that goes.

I'll put a pic of the motherboard below. The other problem is that I can't find a manual for this exact model (Luckystar 5V-2) online, on stason or any place.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply 3 of 15, by ethanyq61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a pic of the motherboard with the RAM and the faulty fan + heatsink. CPU (SL27J) is in its socket.

Attachments

• 20190915_133615.jpg
    Filename
    20190915_133615.jpg
    File size
    942.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 15, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the worst case scenario, you should consider that the motherboard has gone faulty. If you're "lucky", only the CPU is dead. However that is quite unlikely. The only way to determine what doesn't work anymore is to find similar RAM's, motherboard, CPU and test working components with suspicious ones.

Reply 5 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it possible that you slipped when removing the old heatsink or installing the new one?

Post very close up pics of the area surrounding the heatsink. Maybe you knocked something loose or bent a leg or leg on the chipset.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ethanyq61 wrote:

Here is a pic of the motherboard with the RAM and the faulty fan + heatsink. CPU (SL27J) is in its socket.

Could you please check the top most 72p SIMM slot (the one right below the black DIMM slot) at the red circle?
It could be some weird pixel or a spec of dust or something totally innocent but it could also be something with the ram slot connector.

20190915_133615.jpg
Filename
20190915_133615.jpg
File size
450.04 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 15, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ethanyq61 wrote:
Thanks fir the reply Turbo. I've switched out the RAM with some from my P3 machine (PC133 128mb) but had no luck, the socket 7 m […]
Show full quote

Thanks fir the reply Turbo. I've switched out the RAM with some from my P3 machine (PC133 128mb) but had no luck, the socket 7 might not take that much RAM in its single 72 pin ram slot. The other slots are all 30 pin. What was more telling is that the 32mb PC 100 stick of RAM that was in the socket 7 machine, didn't work (black screen and no POST) when put in the P3 machine, I tried both ram slots. I believe PC 100 ram should work with the P3.
I have a new power supply coming this week and I will check the CPU pins again. I reseated everything on the motherboard including the CPU but i'm still getting a black screen at startup. I'll pick up another stick of 70 pin ram and 30 pin ram if possible. I'll let you know how that goes.

I'll put a pic of the motherboard below. The other problem is that I can't find a manual for this exact model (Luckystar 5V-2) online, on stason or any place.

Thanks again for your help.

You mean, 168 Pin and 72 Pin.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 8 of 15, by ethanyq61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies all. It seems like i've accidentally knocked a capacitor, it's standing on one leg and is much easier to wobble than the others of the same type on the board. When its stood up it seems to make contact with where it was soldered to but I still get a black screen when the computer is started. I have a friend who makes electronics so i'll ask him if he can solder it back or get a new capacitor if need be (i'm a bit green here and not sure if that one can be salvaged). The black spec on the RAM slot looks like grease or mud, its only on that one plastic tooth which is interesting. I havn't got any of that kind of RAM to test the slot with though. Thanks again for the help all, i'll leave the board in the hands of the solderer and go from there, but i'm pretty certain that it's that capacitor that's the problem. I'll post some pics below of the RAM slot and capacitor.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 15, by ethanyq61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tetrium, the first pic I posted, that you circled the dark area on the RAM slot in, was taken before i'd used it. It was the ebay pic, it was a nicer pic than I could take so I used that. I've had the computer working since I recieved it, but i'll keep an eye on that slot in the future, it's something I hadn't noticed. Thanks 😀

Reply 11 of 15, by ethanyq61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. The capacitor has been soldered back and the computer is booting but I still have problems. When I move the power cable that runs from the PSU to the motherboard, the computer powers on. I also had to change the S3 Virge DX for a S3 Vision 868, the picture on the DX had lines through it and the computer booted once the Vision 868 was installed (picture is much better too). However when using the game 'Raptor' as a test it would suddenly quit out of game with an error message that covered the whole screen. It mentioned granular bytes, something to that affect but it was really distorted and in a weird res with a lot of numbers. So i'm still trying to get the PC to work
reliably. If anyone has any ideas regarding the power issue that'd be great. Thanks.

Specs:
Pentium 200MMX
S3 Vision 898 PCI
Es1689 audiodrive ISA
CF card IDE adaptor (8gb 200x 'Silicon Power' CF)
32MB Ram
Dos 6.22

Reply 12 of 15, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ethanyq61 wrote:

When I move the power cable that runs from the PSU to the motherboard, the computer powers on.

Such intermittent power supply fault might be caused by corroded AT power header contacts on the motherboard or contacts in the PSU's connectors, especially if the +5V rail contacts are affected. There's also a possibility that PG (power good) signal wire is broken or corresponding contacts are corroded.

Reply 13 of 15, by ethanyq61

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply, i'll have a look at the power header contacts. The AT to ATX power supply adaptor was really cheap so perhaps the quality isn't great. Just now, the computer boot up but didn't post and all I had to do was jiggle the cable and start it again and it posted, so yes the problem seems to have to do with the power. I hope its the ATX to AT adaptor, or the PSU, I know how to replace those. If it's corroded power header contacts on the motherboard then i've got no idea. Is there a way to fix corroded power headers?

Reply 14 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm.. could also be cracked solder connections on the motherboard power connection. Some flux and a bit of new solder should fix that right up if that is the case.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 15, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since you're using an ATX to AT adapter (and not a good quality one, as you say), there are more possibilities of a bad contact somewhere from power supply to the motherboard, via this adapter. Try to find an AT power supply that works and connect it with motherboard and see what it does.