VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I had a couple of floppy that died with this error all of the sudden.
One moment before they were working (and perfect no damaged sector or anything else) and then they stopped.
I did 2 things that may have cause problem to them:
1) I put them under my cellphon
2) I used them on a unstable system, socket 7 system with p233 mmx oc to 262 which also corrupted all the data on my hard drive.

I found a common way to recover them is to use imagedisk 1.18, despite my tryings they still gave me the same error as soon I tried to format them.
Then I tried with a neodymium magnets (took them from non working hard drives) and then one came back to life, while the other is still giving the same error.

I vaguely read that neodymium magnets are the last resort to bring them to a new life, but how should I precisely use it?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Reply 2 of 12, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DankEngihn wrote:

Neodymium magnets will mess up the data on the disks.

Does the floppy drive work? Try with a known working floppy drive

Yes it works, I tried 3 different floppy drives, the TDK floppy came back to life, while the verbatim still give me the same error.

Reply 3 of 12, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried to use the diskettes in another, more modern machine? My 286 won't read my DOS 6.22 diskette, but my Windows 10 PC with a USB floppy drive can read it fine. So can my 386 laptop. If it does work in a more modern machine, I'd suggest using WinImage to back up the diskette and rewrite it. Maybe it might even be able to correct it.

Reply 4 of 12, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still using 1,44MB floppies to move files from my Win10 PC to old systems and from time to time Win10 PC will kill them, but they are perfectly good after reformatting in old PC...

Other issues like that may be caused by strong magnetic/electromagnetic fields, unstable systems (like you mentioned), failing floppy drive (it may work fine most of the time but every once in a while it may dammage the logical structure on the floppy during write).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 12, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Have you tried to use the diskettes in another, more modern machine? My 286 won't read my DOS 6.22 diskette, but my Windows 10 PC with a USB floppy drive can read it fine. So can my 386 laptop. If it does work in a more modern machine, I'd suggest using WinImage to back up the diskette and rewrite it. Maybe it might even be able to correct it.

I will try, but I don't care what's inside I use floppy mainly as booting device or to update bios.
The problem is that when I try to format I get the track 0 error
How can a overclocked system permanently damage 2 floppy disks? 😲

Reply 6 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote:

How can a overclocked system permanently damage 2 floppy disks? 😲

They may be not physically damaged, just dos refuses to format them. I had good results formatting using a completely utility, like booting some linux.

Reply 7 of 12, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may try unconditional formatting:

format a: /u

It sometimes helps for disk with badsectors.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 9 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try a DOS software called resqfloppy.

Also check if the disks have deep circular marks, this could mean physical damage. If they do, clean your floppy drive.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 12, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Also check if the disks have deep circular marks, this could mean physical damage. If they do, clean your floppy drive.

Clean? I would say to just flat out replace it if it's causing physical damage to the diskettes. No reason to try and keep / repair it at that point, they're cheap enough.

Reply 11 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, it's not always the floppy drive to blame in case of damaged disks. Sometimes just junk on the head can turn drives into killers, and unless you buy them new, they're all susceptible to have this issue to some degree (of course many are still ok nowadays but it's still a bit of a gamble). And also sometimes it's the disk that's totally rotten in some way and is deteriorating itself against the heads of the drive, making it very dirty and thus requiring you to clean it.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative