VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do either CF2SCSI adapters exist, or SCSI ethernet adapters?

I just got my Amiga 3000 running again after 8 years in the closet, and my first priority is replacing the SCSI drives with (bigger) CF drives.
I've seen SD card to SCSI... but I have a 32gb CF card that just won't work with my startech CF2IDE adapter for my retro PCs. I'd love to repurpose it for my Amiga.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source of SD2SCSI adapters, if there isn't a CF2SCSI to be had?

My 2nd priority is getting it on the network. I dunno, this is always a big deal for me with my retro computers.
I have a serial to wifi adapter.
I have a serial to bluetooth adapter.
I know there are parallel ethernet adapters out there for the Amiga.
But I have that lovely SCSI port sticking out the back of my A3000, and other than an external CD-ROM, I don't have a use for it.
So, does anyone know of a SCSI to ethernet adapter?

Then again, after the price of all this adds up, I might do just as well to buy an internal expansion card.
I *would* like to stick more memory in it, but that means getting zip chips. Need to price those, too.

Anyway, any advice or info on bringing my Amiga up to modern Amiga standards would be more than welcome!

Reply 1 of 7, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thought just occurred to me.
(bear in mind, I know nothing of SCSI anymore).
Would it be possible to connect an Arduino or Raspberry PI to my Amiga through the SCSI connector?
If so, I could install a Pi Zero W, for example, and use it as a proxy to access the internet.

Reply 2 of 7, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

32gb on amiga. 🤣.

i mean a 32gb sd card costs $6usd... and what FS would you run on an amiga with 32gb, I guess there is PFS and SFS..

sd2scsis v5 works fine on amiga, I dont know of any cf2scsi for amiga.

better off getting a zorro ethernet card like x-surf, there is the lower cost plipbox for parallel port.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3 of 7, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was indeed some ethernet to SCSI converters (such as the Asente EN/SC)... But here is the catch: they are EXTREMLY rare (therefore go for quite a premium) and were more made for Macintoshes, if by luck you find one, I doubt it would work on an Amiga.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 4 of 7, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there are scsi2cf devices, but they will likely be way more expensive than not particularly cheap, but still very affordable scsi2sd devices.

Similarly, SCSI ethernet adapters also do exist. But they are very rare and not particularly easy to deal with.

The scsi2sd is an amazing retro computer device. There are a few vendors of complete boards and since it is all open source you can even build it yourself.

SD cards are super cheap. Way cheaper than any SCSI interfacing device you will likely use it with. So it doesn't make sense to look for device just because you have a spare CF card. Just save it for something else and use SD.

CF2IDE is a different thing as CF interface is derived from the IDE. SCSI is a very different beast.

I'd be sceptical you could connect Arduino or Raspberry PI to SCSI through any of their slow interfaces. SCSI is a very complicated parallel bus and it is quite a task to emulate it in similar way the sd2scsi project does it. It could be certainly built with custom made micro-controller, but that would be quite a project.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 5 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hamby wrote:
Do either CF2SCSI adapters exist, or SCSI ethernet adapters? […]
Show full quote

Do either CF2SCSI adapters exist, or SCSI ethernet adapters?

I just got my Amiga 3000 running again after 8 years in the closet, and my first priority is replacing the SCSI drives with (bigger) CF drives.
I've seen SD card to SCSI... but I have a 32gb CF card that just won't work with my startech CF2IDE adapter for my retro PCs. I'd love to repurpose it for my Amiga.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source of SD2SCSI adapters, if there isn't a CF2SCSI to be had?

My 2nd priority is getting it on the network. I dunno, this is always a big deal for me with my retro computers.
I have a serial to wifi adapter.
I have a serial to bluetooth adapter.
I know there are parallel ethernet adapters out there for the Amiga.
But I have that lovely SCSI port sticking out the back of my A3000, and other than an external CD-ROM, I don't have a use for it.
So, does anyone know of a SCSI to ethernet adapter?

Then again, after the price of all this adds up, I might do just as well to buy an internal expansion card.
I *would* like to stick more memory in it, but that means getting zip chips. Need to price those, too.

Anyway, any advice or info on bringing my Amiga up to modern Amiga standards would be more than welcome!

Yes if thats what you want to do. Scsi Controller >>> Scsi to IDE >>>> Ide to CF Adapter
Or
Scsi to Micro SD
and no none of these setups are inexpensive.

Reply 7 of 7, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the advice and info!

I may get a SCSI2SD...
Did some research today, and there's a new board out called the ZZ9000...
And the Vampire V4 is coming...
I think I'm going to save up for one or both. Either of them would give me a lot of what I want.