VOGONS

First post, by aazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i just bought a Zotac Nvidia Geforce GT 520 PCI 1024mb from a local thrift shop, tested to work in a amd socket A system. would this work in a Biostar MB-8433uud socket 3 motherboard?

If anyone has tested this before or has both components, i'd like to combine with with my soundblaster awe with 28mb added ram, a tested working combo gigabit/2-port usb2.0 pci card and even 256mb edo ram (4 x 64mb simm's).
I can get a 83mhz pentium overdrive running at 40mhz x 2.5 (100mhz) for the CMPXCHG8B instruction/feature (i plan to disassemble do 4v mod, add "liquid metal" paste for cooling, as i have some, and replace cooler/fan with custom ones..i dont want it dying @ 100mhz)

i have the "UUD2014" modified bios files and am able to complete all mods to cpu/mobo for 4v cpu power, getting a full 1024KB of L2 cache and even pinning up the mighty ps/2 mouse port. I have a 80-pin ide cable and ide to sata converter to use with a unopened 2.5 inch sata 128GB samsung ssd.

My plan is to install windows 7?? on it, seeing as i can not use the sse required 2018 patches, nlite out the cpu speed/memory check and other stuff and CMPXCHG8B should be all i need.
i should get:
- a 100mhz P54C type cpu, very well cooled
- 256mb edo ram fully write thru cached
- atleast 1x 128gb ssd
- a gigabit ethernet plus 4x usb 2.0 (2x int/2x ext) port combo pci card
- a 1gb GT520 gpu, (failing that i'm fairly sure a pci 256mb fx5500 will work if i have done my homework on forum)
- (isa soundblaster awe32 with 28mb added ram but only for dos/win98se), an external usb sound "card" for running in windows 7.
- if i get an Adaptec 29160 ultra160 card i can have 4+ ssds @ theoretical 160mb/sec
- space for an non-vlb 4mb isa mach32/mach64 or isa et4000/et6000 (if the main gpu fails to work/work well for dos)

(but pci 2.0 bus is limited to 133mb/sec i think, but board might be pci rev 2.1)

is this possible??

EDIT: seems i cant use ISA cards in windows 7 (if i read correctly), but vista would support them...but no vista....SO
i will swap the awe32 isa card for a USB "external sound card" in windows 7, i should be able to leave isa awe32 card in place for windows 98se/msdos 7.10... seeing that i may get away with a "secondary" isa video card like a et4000/et6000 or mach32 for dos games if my main gpu sucks/isnt supported in dos

It is also suggested many places i get "ultra 160", for a theoretical 160mb/sec (i would think more hitting around ata133 speeds), or atleast a "ultra2" about 80mb/sec pci SCSI card with sata to ultra lvd160 (or ultra2) adapter (adaptec seems to have modles supporting dos to windows 7 & linux, like the Adaptec 29160 ultra160 card)

I have an 4 old "project gena" winpe1 discs, 2 made win xp, 2 made with win 2003..each has a load all to ram version & a load from cd version... i wonder if they would run on this

Last edited by aazard on 2019-09-21, 00:27. Edited 15 times in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I highly doubt that card will work in a socket 3 board. It's probably going to want a PCI 2.2 or 2.3 compliant motherboard.
I believe Win7 uses i686 instructions. I couldn't get it to run on my old 233MMX back in the day, even with 384MB of RAM installed on a Super 7 board. However, it worked just fine on a P2-400.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 2 of 8, by aazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I may be wrong but a AMD K5-PR120 was able to install windows 7, https://www.winhistory.de/more/386/winq.htm, and that cpu is "same instruction set and feature set as a 83mhz POD or any other P54C chip and is 100% a i586 cpu.

EDIT: also a video of a 90mhz pentium boohing windows 7 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGXERfhe-Oo
i quot " Directly installing Windows 7 on a P54C or P55C machine will give you a BSOD with STOP code 0x00000078, unless patched with SP1 (maybe just patching KB980358 would be enough)." so Windows 7 must be post SP1 install media or slipstreamed, (?? or the system must be installed on hdd, and moved for to P54C system for 1st boot, its unclear ??)
regardless it will run windows 7 it seems

Reply 3 of 8, by aazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

seems windows 7 may have no access to ISA bus (although vista does), i can use a "sb live" maybe or maybe scrap sound "card" under windows 7 for an external usb "soundcard" & try a wide ultra2 scsi pci controler (this "might" boost transfers to disk to 80MByte/sec) in my 3rd pci slot, I just cant give up the gigabit/usb 2.0 card for, well usability reasons.

either way ms-dos 7.10 stand alone and/or 98se's dos should still "see" the awe32 for use in dual boot, linux may also, will test.

Reply 4 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why ask people who can only guess when you have all the things needed to actually try? 😉
Tell us how it went! 😀

Edit: Does the BIOS support the SSD size you are planning to install?

Reply 5 of 8, by aazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if a GT520 wont post, maybe a FX5200 or FX5500? i have read that they post and boot 98se in a biostar mb-8433uud on this forum, i believe they are nv34 series 256mb ddr cards.
Really i only worry about the gpu handling: k-melon, abiword 2.9.x, office 2007 (word/excel/pp only), sumatra pdf, claw mail, photoFfiltre 7 and jpegview.
The only other apps ill try will be games like: dwarf fortress (omg plz work), cataclysm dark days ahead, nethack, dungeon crawl stone soup, brouge, drl (doom rouge like) & maybe tales of majeyal (if it can run it?). if any work with tiles over ascii i'd be impressed.

Last edited by aazard on 2019-09-20, 09:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 8, by aazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote:

Why ask people who can only guess when you have all the things needed to actually try? 😉
Tell us how it went! 😀

Edit: Does the BIOS support the SSD size you are planning to install?

Ontrack, AT THE WORST, should allow me to work with/format a drive upto 137gb, or is it 137gb partitions?...well fat32 support. it also can boot from cd, which is nice, even if only launch a "better" partitioning tool and too to install the 4 os's.

Past that i really want to use a newer partitioning tool as it will most likely be better than a DDO and: ideally this is the setup for ssd's on the ultra160 card
1st e: ssd: install windows 7 to its own, pre-formated, 128gb ntfs ssd (custom iso, no checks, trimmed heavily with ntlite, slipstream everything & see if it will run with the no sse bug unpatched, or if i need to avoid that particular kb# and its "descends/future kb#'s" that require it, apply massive amount of "tweaks" to win7)
2nd f: ssd: install linux (Tinycore or Gentoo or debian wheezy) on its own, pre-formated, ext4 64gb ssd (i hope setting up all hardware isnt a painful task)
3rd g: ssd: install windows 98se to its own, pre-formated, fat32 32gb ssd. (many "patches/fixes" needed to be run ie 98SE2ME, unoffical sp3.64, etc from http://www.mdgx.com/upd98me.php)
4th c: ssd: a 128gb ssd with an install of pure msdos 7.10 on its own, pre-formated, fat32 8gb partition (add "msdos starter pack" memory mode switcher, many addons & "tweaks"), a h: 2gb ntfs partition for win7 swap file, a i: 2gb ext4 partition for linux swap file, a j: 2gb fat32 partition for 98se swap file & the left over 114gb or so as a k: shared ntfs storage partition (ntfs drivers for dos/win98 will be needed but thats a given)
* setup boot manager like lilo or grub on c:
* all swap files will be "static" at 1600mb min / 1600mb max
so yes i can even if i'm stuck with DDO using fat32 partitions, i should be able to convert the file systems with a secondary tool in the worst case
rest of drives: a: goteck usb floppy drive b: real ibm 2.88mb floppy drive (i have 83 2.88mb maxell mf2ed floppies 🤣) c: "dos" ssd (on scsi card) d: ide dvd-dl rw drive (on boards ide port)

Last edited by aazard on 2019-09-20, 23:15. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by aazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.reddit.com/r/BSD/comments/3rgmv9/ … ing_openbsd_47/ found this: its a forum talking about bsd on a Biostar MB-8433UU system...
if you read the dmesg it seems to say: pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xf0000/0xc158

do i read that as not pci rev 2.0 but pci rev 2.1 on a Biostar MB-8433UU? ie not 33mhz but 66 MHz: 266 MB/s...test with an scsi ultra320 card for throughput?

ps... anyone know a good 1997 era 486 case with 1x 3.5 bays, 2 x 5.25 external bay and atleast 1x internal 3.5 or 5.25 bay?
I think case, its at, has 8x pci/isa rear slots, an at keyboard hole, 2 serial & 2 parallel "blankouts", 3x 3.5 (2x are ext) & 2x 5.25 external, power/reset/turbo buttons & mhz display ...(i should easily get 4x 2.5 ssd's in the 2x unused 3.5 bays)
I plan on using a 500w atx psu with atx to at power adapter converter (with -5V) unless i find a startec at psu replacement online... i hope the mhz display will work
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iRsAAOSwd7VddPYj/s-l1600.jpg

Reply 8 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dude I have to say I don't seem to completely understand what you are trying to build here or maybe what you're building it for so maybe I can't really be of any help. ^^; Also editing the OP with heaps of new info makes it even harder to keep up with what's new and what's already been discussed. Anyway, answering your last questions as good as I can:
-I don't know what PCI revision that board has but the slots are operating at 33MHz. PCI 2.1 allows for 66MHz by including specifications into the standard. That does not mean every PCI 2.1 chipset has to be able to operate at 66MHz bus speed. I don't think the UM8881F/UM8886BF combo supports 66MHz PCI. Why would it? Especially since the CPU is connected to the chipset at a lower bus speed. (Standard Def Steve suggested the card you're planning to use is going to expect a PCI 2.2 or 2.3 compliant board which I don't think since it's keyed for 3.3V/5V so it should at least support PCI 2.1.)
-The case you posted looks pretty cool but it's lacking the PS/2 mouse cutout next to the DIN keyboard connector. Also if you're planning on buying the one from the ebay listing keep in mind it's in pretty bad shape on the back.

More thoughts:
-If you're using an Adaptec 29160 ultra160 SCSI controller anyway you probably won't need DDO software because the card's BIOS already supports larger drives connected to it with booting. But SCSI-IDE converters are very expensive. Maybe you'd be better off with a PCI-IDE controller with built in BIOS and Win98-Win7 drivers plus some IDE-SATA adaptors? Or go with a four port PCI-SATA card with BIOS and Win98-Win7 drivers right away if you can find one? Don't worry about nominal drive speeds either. The PODP5V83 @100MHz will severely bottleneck modern HDDs let alone SSDs.
-Why do you want to use a 500W PSU though? A regular 486 shouldn't even draw 100W.
-Liquid metal won't really improve the system cooling in this case. The CPU already has such a low heat output regular thermal paste won't perform worse. The ceramic package is the biggest heat barrier here. Also keep in mind that liquid metal thermal "paste" includes gallium which creates an alloy with aluminium that is very brittle and bad at conducting heat. Liquid metal rules out aluminium heatsinks. You can resort to peltier elements to cool the complete CPU to below ambient temperatures but that adds another layer of complication.
-I don't think you need a 4V mod either considering the PODP5V83 has an onboard voltage regulator and should be able to run on 5V-3.3V always supplying its core with ~3.3V.

Again I'm really not sure I understand what you're planning on doing. From what I understand you're planning on creating a very imbalanced configuration and I don't really see what you'd want to do with it once you've built it.
Maybe it's best you just go ahead and build it and then show us what it is and what it does. 😀