VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking about this for a while since I have pair of Encore P-401 speakers,and they are "decent". 🤣

Soo what were the best speakers or studio monitors ?

Any info is hugely appreciated. 😊

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 16, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Always wanted a pair of B&W Nautilus from the early 90s:

Brochure Photo.png
Filename
Brochure Photo.png
File size
149.66 KiB
Views
File comment
Nautilus
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 16, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
j^aws wrote:

Always wanted a pair of B&W Nautilus from the early 90s:

Brochure Photo.png

Wow these look really awesome, how much were they ? 😕

Reply 3 of 16, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going from memory from the early 90s, I think they were in the 5 digit category, over £10,000. They seem to be going for around £50,000 these days. I'd pair one with a sound blaster for scientific purposes.

Reply 5 of 16, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

These are design speakers and probably not that good in terms of sound quality.

They were amazingly good in terms of sound quality for the time. Very clever design eliminating standing waves and internal reflections. They require an active crossover and four amplification channels per speaker, a proper system for a pair of these speakers should have eight high end monoblocks like Krell, Classe or something of this kind. And they need a big room to really shine. In other words, it's for people who can easily spend upwards of €100k on their audio system.

By the way, they're still available from B&W as a special order item.

Reply 6 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always favored 2.1 setups as opposed to just stereo speakers. personal preference, Cambridge SoundWorks stuff sounded pretty good for the price back then. As far as the best nobody could afford? How about hook your computer up to a real stearo system receiver and drive real speakers like 12 inch or 15s in surround so it shakes your house and the neighbors call the cops on you. Thats real sh*t.

Reply 7 of 16, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check out Wilson Audio - the WAMM model was launched in the early 1980's and by 1990 a set cost $88.000 according to this article:
https://www.stereophile.com/interviews/690wil/index.html
see also:
https://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/brochures/wil … o-full-line.pdf

Other high-end speakers of the 1980's were for example Infinity IRS and Levinson HQD - both in the upper range of $20.000-$30.000

Reply 9 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:

I've always favored 2.1 setups as opposed to just stereo speakers. personal preference, Cambridge SoundWorks stuff sounded pretty good for the price back then. As far as the best nobody could afford? How about hook your computer up to a real stearo system receiver and drive real speakers like 12 inch or 15s in surround so it shakes your house and the neighbors call the cops on you. Thats real sh*t.

That's exactly what I did in the 90's.

Panasonic radio/tape/amp with some 3-way speakers with 10" woofers.

I could literally not hear anything else even if somebody was yelling at me when I had it turned up while playing games. I had the speakers positioned maybe 3-4 feet behind me.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
That's exactly what I did in the 90's. […]
Show full quote
Warlord wrote:

That's exactly what I did in the 90's.

Panasonic radio/tape/amp with some 3-way speakers with 10" woofers.

I could literally not hear anything else even if somebody was yelling at me when I had it turned up while playing games. I had the speakers positioned maybe 3-4 feet behind me.

yup pretty sure that sounds 10 times better than 50,000 dollar BMW speakers. Guarantee 🤣

Reply 12 of 16, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, for those with a modest budget, and no special hospital-grade AC outlets to plug their new stereo into:

Klipsch ProMedia were the shizzle in the later 90s.

klipschpromed.jpg
Filename
klipschpromed.jpg
File size
6.04 KiB
Views
File license

Mid-late 90s, for the musicians and the rich kids with the MT-32s, a set of Rolands:

rolandspk.jpg
Filename
rolandspk.jpg
File size
95.62 KiB
Views
File license

For most of the 90s, this was a respectable setup for someone who cared about audio -- the Cambridge Soundworks satellites:

cambsw.jpg
Filename
cambsw.jpg
File size
21.94 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 13 of 16, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:
OK, for those with a modest budget, and no special hospital-grade AC outlets to plug their new stereo into: […]
Show full quote

OK, for those with a modest budget, and no special hospital-grade AC outlets to plug their new stereo into:

Klipsch ProMedia were the shizzle in the later 90s.

klipschpromed.jpg

Mid-late 90s, for the musicians and the rich kids with the MT-32s, a set of Rolands:

rolandspk.jpg

For most of the 90s, this was a respectable setup for someone who cared about audio -- the Cambridge Soundworks satellites:

cambsw.jpg

The soudworks are awailable in my area for around 20 USD are they worth getting ?

Reply 14 of 16, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Violett'Blossom wrote:

The soudworks are awailable in my area for around 20 USD are they worth getting ?

Maybe not at that price, but they sound OK if you keep the volume down. The problem with cheap plastic cases is the hollow sound they give after you cross the limit. There are several 2.1 systems that sound better made from proper speaker materials and you can find them at a similar price.

Reply 16 of 16, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$20 is reasonable, I would say. If I found them at that price -- in reasonably good shape, so as not to sully the place 😉 -- I would do it. I'm not intimately familiar with their sound. I had my PC connected to my stereo -- a DPL Kenwood receiver I got in .. 93? But, from the little I've heard of them (usually store demos) they sounded .. well, I mean, better than the cheap plastic tubs that shipped in multimedia kits anyway. Worth it to me just for a compromise between SQ and retro-aesthetic.