VOGONS

Reply 220 of 385, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DenizOezmen wrote on 2023-02-19, 09:18:
Sorry for the absence. Glad to see that others chimed in and helped, though. […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the absence. Glad to see that others chimed in and helped, though.

maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-02-18, 21:26:

To get this thread back on track - I can report there is no observable difference between p3bf_no_acpi_tables and p3bf_no_ACPI_tables_no_A0_A1_handlers.

Both builds allow Win2k setup and Acronis True Image 2011 to load without issue, but both also suffer from the same shutdown bug.

I have also noticed that pressing the soft power button on the case at a DOS prompt will trigger the bug as well. If you simply press and release the button the machine freezes. To make it shut off you must hold it down for 4 seconds.

Thanks for the tests! Thinking about this, it kind of makes sense. Pressing the power button will make the chipset generate an SCI or SMI, which in turn causes the same BIOS handler routines to be called that would be triggered by an APM shutdown command via int 15h.

The problem lies not within writing to/reading from port 0xB2 itself. If that was the case, the board wouldn't post at all. It's something within the handlers that causes the hang. Possibly not easy to track down.

Well if it can't be solved it's no big deal for me at this point. The system is completely usable with the ACPI tables removed. The shutdown bug is nothing more than a mild annoyance.

Reply 221 of 385, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-02-19, 14:18:

Well if it can't be solved it's no big deal for me at this point. The system is completely usable with the ACPI tables removed. The shutdown bug is nothing more than a mild annoyance.

Good to know.

Currently, I wouldn't know what to do except for inserting debug outputs at various places and iteratively checking the results via a POST card. Maybe i386 has a better idea.

In any case, we'll let you know when there's news. Thanks for your time so far!

Reply 222 of 385, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DenizOezmen wrote on 2023-02-19, 17:19:
Good to know. […]
Show full quote
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-02-19, 14:18:

Good to know.

Currently, I wouldn't know what to do except for inserting debug outputs at various places and iteratively checking the results via a POST card. Maybe i386 has a better idea.

In any case, we'll let you know when there's news. Thanks for your time so far!

Oh, I recall as I inserted debug outputs (0x80 port) at various code places and I very long searched
problem with P3B-F (why it stopped on POST code 0x63 with PPro). Initially I even did not suspected
about the SMM problem (write to port 0xB2) at all! I've made jump around 0xB2 writing (if PPro was
detected), but of course it is not solution of problem.

My guess - source of problem maybe due extended energy saver modes in Pentium2 core.
Currently, I have no PPro->Slot1 converter, but now I tinker with my P2L97-DS board and
of course I'll let you know, if I'll get any idea about!

PS. I also remember about MCA problem with PPro and FreeBSD, but currently I forgot details,
it needs rechecking on the my native PPro board.

A lot thanks for your work, very appreciate!!

Reply 223 of 385, by MadYoshi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the modified Bios. I run an ASUS CUBX Rev. 1.02 with a Tualatin and it's running superb.

Could ist possible, that you can modifying an ASUS CUV4X-D Bios the same way, with the features which you added to the others?

Thank you,
MadYoshi

Reply 224 of 385, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@DenizOezmen
Hello, outstanding work, truly congratulations. I have an ASUS CUBX-L on the way and I can't wait to try your MOD Bios. I have a question, in your first post you updated the development to 12-01-2023 saying you restored VCore mod (if I understood correctly), however the bios that you can download are updated to 07-01-2023 or when you had disabled the mod; so are these the last bios to use or are you preparing a new surprise? Thank you for your time and congratulations again for the work done 😀

Reply 225 of 385, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the feedback!

MadYoshi wrote on 2023-02-24, 09:06:

Could ist possible, that you can modifying an ASUS CUV4X-D Bios the same way, with the features which you added to the others?

I'll give it a try. Since it's a dual CPU board, it works a bit differently in parts, so no guarantee. I'll get back to you as soon as I have a test build ready.

igna78 wrote on 2023-02-25, 10:42:

I have a question, in your first post you updated the development to 12-01-2023 saying you restored VCore mod (if I understood correctly), however the bios that you can download are updated to 07-01-2023 or when you had disabled the mod; so are these the last bios to use or are you preparing a new surprise? Thank you for your time and congratulations again for the work done 😀

No surprises planned, I'm afraid. 😉
The 2023-01-07 builds are currently the latest ones. There was no intermediate build without the VCore mod, I just pulled all the files. While looking for a possible VCore bug, it became apparent that the dynamic upper limit in the VCore menu specifically for 1.50 V CPUs (up to 1.70 V for Tualatin cores, up to 1.80 V for other cores) would not work -- 1.80V would always be shown --, so I fixed this, but waited for the feedback on the 12th until publishing.

Reply 226 of 385, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MadYoshi wrote on 2023-02-24, 09:06:

Here's a test build. Could you check whether this does anything useful at all?

[edit: removed obsolete attachment]

Last edited by DenizOezmen on 2023-03-12, 09:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 228 of 385, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I successfully running a Via C3 1200 Nehemiah on my CUBX-L. CPU now is properly detected and working just fine. Thank you very much for your work on this modified bios, DenizOezmen!

Reply 229 of 385, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MadYoshi wrote on 2023-02-27, 13:00:

I didn't expect you to be so quick. I will check it the next days. Thank!

There are likely bugs in the first build. Here's a hopefully fixed version.

pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2023-03-09, 20:04:

I successfully running a Via C3 1200 Nehemiah on my CUBX-L. CPU now is properly detected and working just fine. Thank you very much for your work on this modified bios, DenizOezmen!

Glad to read, thanks for the confirmation!

[Edit: Moved attachment here.]

Last edited by DenizOezmen on 2023-03-25, 23:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 230 of 385, by 1nightmaregamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DenizOezmen wrote on 2019-09-23, 18:57:

Hi everybody,

i see theres no dm function on this website so do u know any one who could make modified version of the 945gcm478 of the 1.2 bios that alows me to over clock cpu and ram settings sucks that the 478 pcie board is locked down

Reply 231 of 385, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
1nightmaregamer wrote on 2023-03-16, 08:49:

i see theres no dm function on this website so do u know any one who could make modified version of the 945gcm478 of the 1.2 bios that alows me to over clock cpu and ram settings sucks that the 478 pcie board is locked down

I'm not specifically aware of someone who has worked with AMIBIOSes of that period, but then again I haven't paid close attention to the P4 platform.

There are certainly many capable people, but the main problem will be the initial time investment. If there's already a mod for a similar board, chances might be better.

(There is a DM function, but maybe you can only use it after a certain number of posts?)

Reply 232 of 385, by MadYoshi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DenizOezmen wrote on 2023-03-12, 09:09:
There are likely bugs in the first build. Here's a hopefully fixed version. […]
Show full quote
MadYoshi wrote on 2023-02-27, 13:00:

I didn't expect you to be so quick. I will check it the next days. Thank!

There are likely bugs in the first build. Here's a hopefully fixed version.

pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2023-03-09, 20:04:

Glad to read, thanks for the confirmation!

Actuelly i had the time for a test. The CUV4X-D works fine with the Tualatins. Thank you! Did you do anything else besides the microcode update? Which I don't notice at first glance.

Reply 233 of 385, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MadYoshi wrote on 2023-03-25, 17:37:

Actuelly i had the time for a test. The CUV4X-D works fine with the Tualatins. Thank you! Did you do anything else besides the microcode update? Which I don't notice at first glance.

Excellent, thanks!

The mod contains the changes listed in the first post, as far as applicable/needed for this build:

• fixed display of CPU brand names
  • support for multipliers beyond 12.0x
  • support for additional Via C3 chips
  • added option to force load Symbios ROM
  • PSU -5 V rail fix (unhid -12 V and -5 V items in the hardware monitor menu)

Reply 234 of 385, by SpringyCZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's really great that you made such a BIOS upgrade for all my BX and VIA motherboards from ASUS. Is there any chance that you would create a similar upgrade for MSI (BX Master) or SOYO (SY-6BA+ IV / +100) boards in the future?

Reply 235 of 385, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpringyCZ wrote on 2023-03-28, 12:54:

It's really great that you made such a BIOS upgrade for all my BX and VIA motherboards from ASUS. Is there any chance that you would create a similar upgrade for MSI (BX Master) or SOYO (SY-6BA+ IV / +100) boards in the future?

Well, I'm not ruling it out. 😉

It's pretty time-consuming, however. The mods in this thread could be done relatively quickly because the BIOS builds are all so similar, and I had the first boards in my possession. So I'd probably have to come across those boards (or others from the same time period and manufacturer) to really get started.

Reply 238 of 385, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DenizOezmen wrote on 2023-05-18, 18:28:
voscoboss wrote on 2023-05-17, 06:41:

Just dropping in to say the BIOS works great on my P3V4X. Thanks for your work!

Glad to read, thank you!

My slocket8 P3B-F system is also still going strong!

Reply 239 of 385, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also run two p3b-bf 's with your awesome bios. Thanks a lot for your work @DenizOezmen. Any chance you would create a modded bios for p2b-ds ?