VOGONS

Reply 320 of 391, by karakarga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Deniz, the bios files are increased, I don't have those mainboards but, a few left. Those are i820 based P3C-2000 (SD-Ram), P3C-S (SCSI on board) and P3C-D (dual Slot 1). There are also BX chipset based P2B-S (SCSI on board) and i810 based P3W (SD-Ram) not in the list. You may add those as well if you wish....

Good work, good luck!

Note: P2B-S is on the list, I have seen it lately. 😀

Last edited by karakarga on 2023-09-02, 22:14. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 321 of 391, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2023-08-06, 22:40:

Thanks! Confirmed working great as expected... Best wishes.

Excellent, thank you! 😀

karakarga wrote on 2023-08-07, 08:49:

Deniz, the bios files are increased, I don't have those mainboards but, a few left. Those are i820 based P3C-2000 (SD-Ram), P3C-S (SCSI on board) and P3C-D (dual Slot 1). There are also BX chipset based P2B-S (SCSI on board) and i810 based P3W (SD-Ram) not in the list. You may add those as well if you wish....

Thanks for the hint. Yes, there are still various boards left. I might add some of them if it seems sensible, but I would rather prefer not to publish too many untested builds, especially since some of these boards have soldered flash chips.

Reply 322 of 391, by nizce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DenizOezmen wrote on 2023-08-06, 12:55:
nizce wrote on 2023-08-05, 20:27:

I also have an another 440BX motherboard called P2BXA made by a company called DCS.

Would it be possible to make a compatible bios for that motherboard as well in the future?

Thanks!

A mod for this board would need fresh reverse engineering work and possibly a new code base. As I don't own related hardware, I'm probably not going to port all kinds of changes blindly. If there's something specific that doesn't work for you, I can try and take a look at that, though.

If it would be possible someday, it'd be great to have microcode support for Tualatin and also possibility to set lower voltages than standard. 😀

Reply 323 of 391, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nizce wrote on 2023-08-16, 14:29:

If it would be possible someday, it'd be great to have microcode support for Tualatin and also possibility to set lower voltages than standard. 😀

Additional microcodes are usually no problem. (If you have the 1 MBit version of the BIOS, you will have to sacrifice other microcodes, though, since there's not enough space for all of them.)

Could you provide the BIOS image? Having searched for a while, there are at least three different incompatible(?) branches of the BIOS and seemingly a similar number of manufacturers who offered the board, so I'm thoroughly confused now. 😀

Regarding the voltages: Does the BIOS currently offer any VCore change at all? I haven't delved too much into this, but I currently doubt it's possible to extend the BIOS with this feature if the hardware is not prepared to support it.

Reply 324 of 391, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zerthimon wrote on 2023-07-22, 13:54:
DenizOezmen wrote on 2023-07-22, 13:42:

In case you want to try it sometime, here's a test build for the DLS.

Thanks, Deniz!
Will test it next week and report back.

Better late than never ....

Hi Deniz!
I've tested your BIOS for the DLS board.
It works, however LSI SCSI BIOS ROM doesn't run during POST.
I tried different setting for enabling the SCSI BIOS in the setup and clearing CMOS, but nothing worked.

Reply 325 of 391, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zerthimon wrote on 2023-08-23, 11:23:

I've tested your BIOS for the DLS board.
It works, however LSI SCSI BIOS ROM doesn't run during POST.
I tried different setting for enabling the SCSI BIOS in the setup and clearing CMOS, but nothing worked.

That's weird. You're referring to the onboard host adapter, not the Symbios option ROM, right? (I just noticed that both the CUV4X-D and -DLS are missing the usual module for Symios cards.) Have you used the 2023-07-20 or 2023-07-23 build? (The former should have no changes for SCSI initialization.)

And the original BIOS works as expected?

Reply 326 of 391, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DenizOezmen wrote on 2023-08-23, 16:01:

That's weird. You're referring to the onboard host adapter, not the Symbios option ROM, right? (I just noticed that both the CUV4X-D and -DLS are missing the usual module for Symios cards.) Have you used the 2023-07-20 or 2023-07-23 build? (The former should have no changes for SCSI initialization.)

And the original BIOS works as expected?

Yes, I'm talking about the the on-board SCSI adapter. I've used the https://oezmen.eu/bios/files/vdls1016_20230723.zip file.
Yes, the original https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock370 … model=CUV4X-DLS file works as expected.

Reply 327 of 391, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zerthimon wrote on 2023-08-23, 16:11:

Yes, I'm talking about the the on-board SCSI adapter. I've used the https://oezmen.eu/bios/files/vdls1016_20230723.zip file.
Yes, the original https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock370 … model=CUV4X-DLS file works as expected.

Ah yes, I noted a wrong offset for the routine that reads the setup options. Additionally, handling of the NIC ROM was missing.

Please give this new build a try.

[Edit: Moved attachment to download site.]

Last edited by DenizOezmen on 2023-08-24, 18:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 328 of 391, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DenizOezmen wrote on 2023-08-23, 22:22:

Please give this new build a try.

Hi Deniz!

This BIOS works perfectly!
SCSI BIOS, LAN boot ROM and SMP work.
Thanks a lot!

Reply 330 of 391, by riplin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m getting a boot hang all of a sudden with post code 61h. Searching online says it’s a reserved code. 4.51 bios says “set boot speed”? I don’t understand why I’m all of a sudden getting this issue when the only thing I changed was putting one of the side panels on the machine. 🙁 this is on a p3b-f with a coppermine 1GHz. 256MB memory.

Reply 331 of 391, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
riplin wrote on 2023-08-27, 22:54:

I’m getting a boot hang all of a sudden with post code 61h. Searching online says it’s a reserved code. 4.51 bios says “set boot speed”? I don’t understand why I’m all of a sudden getting this issue when the only thing I changed was putting one of the side panels on the machine. 🙁 this is on a p3b-f with a coppermine 1GHz. 256MB memory.

Are you employing an adequate mechanism to center the CPU at the socket? If it's leaning forward or backward and not perfectly centered, then you will have issues with the pins not making good contact. There is a good, inexpensive DIY method to achieve this, if you're interested in hearing it, make it known in your reply.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 332 of 391, by riplin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2023-08-27, 23:35:

Are you employing an adequate mechanism to center the CPU at the socket? If it's leaning forward or backward and not perfectly centered, then you will have issues with the pins not making good contact. There is a good, inexpensive DIY method to achieve this, if you're interested in hearing it, make it known in your reply.

I tried reseating everything and that didn’t help. I then swapped the cpu for an identical model and it now boots. I’m a little skeptical that it’s the cpu since that’s just not my experience with Intel cpus. They either work or they don’t. Never had one fail on me without serious abuse. Then again, if that was the solution, I’ll take it. Still curious what post code 61h is though.

Reply 333 of 391, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
riplin wrote on 2023-08-28, 00:42:

I tried reseating everything and that didn’t help. I then swapped the cpu for an identical model and it now boots. I’m a little skeptical that it’s the cpu since that’s just not my experience with Intel cpus. They either work or they don’t. Never had one fail on me without serious abuse. Then again, if that was the solution, I’ll take it. Still curious what post code 61h is though.

What you do is the following (this will require that you have the right and left CPU mounts installed at the slot on the motherboard, but the CPU can be bare):

Take some rectangular erasers from the dollar store. Measure an inch or so of length and cut it at that length. Now measure the width of the inside of the CPU mounts, cut the rubber to that width (or to a width that fits snugly in the mounts). Next, cut out a slot on one side of each of these pieces of rubber (you will have had to have cut two, one per side). This slot that you chisel out is where the CPU edge will rest in. Make certain that the slots are symmetrical so that the CPU sits evenly when slotted into each one of the pieces of rubber on both sides.

This is an ingenious little solution that I read here on this forum from another user and it works quite well and is free, except for the price of the rubber eraser.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 334 of 391, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
riplin wrote on 2023-08-28, 00:42:

Still curious what post code 61h is though.

From a quick look, this is roughly what happens after POST code 61h is emitted:

• enable/disable L2 cache (only relevant for Pentium Pro and Via CPUs)
  • enable/disable L1 cache
  • configuring various settings by means of PCI configuration space (like setting PCI 2.1 compliancy), SMBus communication and direct writes to chipset registers; would take a while to find out exactly what each of these operations does
  • check CPU temperature(?)
  • set VCore as defined in setup
  • show system summary screen and PCI device listing

The following POST code would be 62h.

From the known points above, if you want to continue debugging (and assuming you can enter setup), you might

• check the CPU temperature in hardware monitor
  • disable L1 cache
  • up VCore a notch

Reply 335 of 391, by karakarga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Deniz,
Here is a bios modification tool called UBU at https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/tool-guide- … dater-ubu/30357 and discussion thread at: https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/mc-extracto … ssion/31555/261

The guy preparing it called SoniX retired, related with health concerns. You are within a few people who can maintain this program. (latest revision v1.79.17, last updated: 06/30/2020) would you like to think about a new work over it?

Reply 336 of 391, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found another CUBX-L with the first release BIOS.
At first it was funny, then I got tired of it and I flashed the BIOS with hot swap. 🙁
It looks like we need a flasher who won't ask too many questions.

Attachments

• bios missmatch.jpg
    Filename
    bios missmatch.jpg
    File size
    44.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 338 of 391, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-09-11, 16:04:

uniflash

If I'm not mistaken, this flasher is for DOS.
Cubx does not see the flash drive when loading with an CD-rom.
You need either a floppy disk or a CD-RW disk.
Which is annoying.
PS. There are not many of these boards left, so it is unlikely that I will have a third one.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 339 of 391, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-09-11, 16:14:
If I'm not mistaken, this flasher is for DOS. Cubx does not see the flash drive when loading with an CD-rom. You need either a f […]
Show full quote
Nemo1985 wrote on 2023-09-11, 16:04:

uniflash

If I'm not mistaken, this flasher is for DOS.
Cubx does not see the flash drive when loading with an CD-rom.
You need either a floppy disk or a CD-RW disk.
Which is annoying.
PS. There are not many of these boards left, so it is unlikely that I will have a third one.

Yes it's for dos, this is your best chance for update\downgrade the bios without too many hassle. I usually keep a bootable floppy disk with a uniflash and the bios I like to flash.