VOGONS

Reply 360 of 390, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not surprising given that VIA C3 CPUs tend to focus more on low power consumption. Nehemiah is comparable to a Coppermine Pentium III at 700-800 MHz and the idea of using them isn't for absolute performance but flexibility when dealing with speed-sensitive software.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 362 of 390, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cryptowhale wrote on 2024-01-17, 18:16:

Is it possible to add 3/2 multiplier for Pentium Pro?

In theory, the BIOS already supports the 3/2 multiplier, though the item is hidden in the dropdown. If the CPU is recognized as unlocked (i.e. you get to choose the multiplier in setup), it might be as easy as unhiding the item. Would you like to test this on a specific board?

Reply 364 of 390, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have a CUV4X-D mobo with ViA chipset.
a few notes after i installed 1010 patched version.

1. is there any chance to fix a PCI latency issue with bios mod?
2. 2x memory interleave mode enabled by default. can we mod it to 4x w/o using windows path? ( +100mb/sec to ram bandwidth)

Reply 365 of 390, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
overdrive333 wrote on 2024-01-27, 10:50:

Thx.

Nice. 😀

dm- wrote on 2024-02-01, 05:14:

1. is there any chance to fix a PCI latency issue with bios mod?

Depends. There seem to be dozens of settings/patches around to improve PCI performance on VIA chipsets. Do you have any specific setting in mind?

dm- wrote on 2024-02-01, 05:14:

2. 2x memory interleave mode enabled by default. can we mod it to 4x w/o using windows path? ( +100mb/sec to ram bandwidth)

Might be possible. I've added a test BIOS to this post, which -- assuming I have found the right place -- should set the lowest two bits of northbridge registers 0x64-0x67 to "10" to enable 4-way interleave.

(No idea what happens if you try to use this with SDRAM modules that don't have 4 banks, though.)

Some sources say the in-order queue depth should be set to 4 along with the interleave to enable full performance. I haven't checked what value the CUV4X-D sets.

Attachments

• Filename
    cuvd1016_20240201.zip
    File size
    489.5 KiB
    Downloads
    12 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 366 of 390, by dm-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. a PCI latency patch from George Breeze.
i have a couple of PCI graphics cards and they just won't work properly until i install George Breeze patch for PCI latency. Of cource it is not possible to use patch in case of Linux OS.
2. Tnx. I'll try this version!

Reply 367 of 390, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dm- wrote on 2024-02-02, 04:35:

1. a PCI latency patch from George Breeze.
i have a couple of PCI graphics cards and they just won't work properly until i install George Breeze patch for PCI latency. Of cource it is not possible to use patch in case of Linux OS.

Ah, I see. According to the history, the patch changes various settings depending on the chipset; not sure if all of them are documented. Unfortunately, I won't have time to go through all of them. If you know of a certain setting that would help you, we can see whether it's feasible to mod the BIOS.

Reply 368 of 390, by Sispik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ASUS CUBX-L (rev 1.01) update successful, ty!
Does anyone remember if on-board Trend ChipawayVirus was toggleable? I can't find the option to turn it off, I think there was with ASUS 1007.A (initial release) BIOS.
But I have two 440BX boards, I might confuse them. Plus its not a real issue, not enough to downgrade and see myself

Reply 369 of 390, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sispik wrote on 2024-02-09, 00:04:

ASUS CUBX-L (rev 1.01) update successful, ty!

Glad to hear!

Sispik wrote on 2024-02-09, 00:04:

Does anyone remember if on-board Trend ChipawayVirus was toggleable? I can't find the option to turn it off, I think there was with ASUS 1007.A (initial release) BIOS.

Should be "Boot" | "Boot Virus Detection".

Reply 371 of 390, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I previously modified the P2B 1014 Beta 003 BIOS to accept my 6B4 CPU ID Tualatin Celeron 1.4 without a warning. But, I successfully flashed the P2B (with hardware monitor) BIOS from 1014-003_20230728.zip in order to get proper power supply fan monitoring.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 372 of 390, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
riplin wrote on 2024-02-13, 23:57:

Hi, I know this is a long shot, but how hard would it be to add support for the Gigabyte GA-6BXD?

Hi, since this would be pretty much a new build, I won't have enough time to do a complete port in the near future. Is there anything specific you would like to try?

Reply 373 of 390, by riplin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DenizOezmen wrote on 2024-02-17, 12:23:
riplin wrote on 2024-02-13, 23:57:

Hi, I know this is a long shot, but how hard would it be to add support for the Gigabyte GA-6BXD?

Hi, since this would be pretty much a new build, I won't have enough time to do a complete port in the near future. Is there anything specific you would like to try?

I was hoping for Tualatin support, but I managed to pick up a CUV4X-D for cheap that you already made a BIOS for, so I'll probably run some Coppermines in the GA-6BXD. 😀

Reply 374 of 390, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
riplin wrote on 2024-02-17, 21:39:

I was hoping for Tualatin support, but I managed to pick up a CUV4X-D for cheap that you already made a BIOS for, so I'll probably run some Coppermines in the GA-6BXD. 😀

Okay. 😀 You can still try the attached mod, if you like. There a no fancy changes, just a few tweaks to make the BIOS handle Tualatins like Coppermines. (At least in some obvious places.)

Attachments

Reply 375 of 390, by riplin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DenizOezmen wrote on 2024-02-18, 13:10:
riplin wrote on 2024-02-17, 21:39:

Okay. 😀 You can still try the attached mod, if you like. There a no fancy changes, just a few tweaks to make the BIOS handle Tualatins like Coppermines. (At least in some obvious places.)

Awesome, thank you so much! 😁

Reply 376 of 390, by Gustl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you
Your bios updates for the cubx l worked great with the award 2.21. Now I have a cosmetic question. Is it possible to change the white color of the boot screen from white to green when everything is running normally, similar to the old computer?

Reply 378 of 390, by DenizOezmen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gustl wrote on 2024-02-19, 10:31:

Thank you
Your bios updates for the cubx l worked great with the award 2.21. Now I have a cosmetic question. Is it possible to change the white color of the boot screen from white to green when everything is running normally, similar to the old computer?

This is kind of possible, at least pretty easily for the short phase after VGA ROM init and before OS takes over. Don't know what would be necessary to influence other parts of the boot process.

(Though on a personal note -- it looks kind of weird to me.)

Attachments