VOGONS

First post, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Slightly newer than what most people would discuss in these forums, but I have a certain love and nostalgia for 08'/09' hardware 😊 . Be that as it may, I also love the mATX form factor and the much smaller cases one can get to make everything that much more compact. However, mATX has always been associated with lower end hardware especially during that era and outside of a few exceptions such as the Maximus II Gene from ASUS, I have not been able to find many decent mATX 775 boards.
I'm not picky at all, the only thing I really need is a board that's going to take my Q9550, perhaps with a slight overclock bump to 3GHz just because I have a thing for rounded numbers (back in the day I hated that my Q9450 could not do stable 3.5GHz and I had to bring it down all the way down to... 3.45GHz 🤣 ) ! So, that means a decent power phase and more importantly, some heatsinks for crying out loud! Other than that, I can't think of anything that'd be a deal breaker, perhaps some clearance for my CPU coolers would be nice, but I have two beefy ones that I can interchange at any point (Enermax T60-VD and Scythe Mugen ).

So, any suggestions? If this topic is popular, I might expand it to socket 370/slot 1 (were there mATX slot 1 boards I wonder?), socket 478 perhaps?

Reply 1 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably this ASUS board: (P5G43TM_PRO)
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5G43TM_PRO/overview/

Or if you can find an ASUS MAXIMUS_II_GENE that would be even better.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_II_GENE/

There were matx boards for S370:
Asus TUEP2-M
Chaintech 6VIA5T
Giga-byte GA-6PMM
Giga-byte GA-6VM7-4E
Epox 3VSM
Soyo SY-7VCM
AOpen MX3S-U
AOpen MX3S-T
AOpen MX34-U

and S478:
Intel D845GVSRL
Intel D845PEMY
Intel D865GLC
Intel D865GLCLK
ABIT iL-90MV
ALBATRON PX865PE
ASRock P4i65G
ASRock P4I65GV
ASROCK P4I945GC (DDR2 and even has PCIE 😲 )
ASUS P4S533-MX
ASUS P4P800-VM
Asus P4S8X-MX
ASUS P4P800-MX
BIOSTAR P4M80-M4
EPOX EP-P4MKI
Gigabyte GA-8GEM667
Jetway P4MDUT
PC-Chips M935CG
SOYO SY-P4RC350

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had quite a few matx S775 over the years - mainly Asus, Gigabyte & Biostar - but the best one I had for features and clocking was the DFI LANParty JR P45 T2RS with a Q9650

DFI_LPJRP45-T2RS.jpg
Filename
DFI_LPJRP45-T2RS.jpg
File size
192.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/motherboard … -jr-p45-t2rs/1/

and yes, there were slot 1 matx boards

Reply 3 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:
Had quite a few matx S775 over the years - mainly Asus, Gigabyte & Biostar - but the best one I had for features and clocking wa […]
Show full quote

Had quite a few matx S775 over the years - mainly Asus, Gigabyte & Biostar - but the best one I had for features and clocking was the DFI LANParty JR P45 T2RS with a Q9650

DFI_LPJRP45-T2RS.jpg

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/motherboard … -jr-p45-t2rs/1/

and yes, there were slot 1 matx boards

Doesn't that DFI only officially support DDR2-800 though? How high can it go when overclocking?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 13, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah, a lot of great choices here, thanks for the suggestions! Would love to hear about some more s775 mATX boards though, since both the Maximus II GENE and the DFI one are pretty hard to find and very steep in price when they do show up. That ASUS G43 board seems a little eh to be honest, it has no VRM cooling at all even!

Reply 5 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P45 chipsets from Gigabyte and Asus reliably overclock to higher FSBs and are generally of good quality. The UDP lineup of gigabyte boards always had quality capacitors and thick copper PCBs. MATX was not an exotic form factor back then. Biostar T-Power boards were excellent overclockers, but there none enthusiasts lineup is just decent. MSI is also decent. Intel branded boards were very stable but lacked overclocking features. Probably stay away from ECS.

Reply 6 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Doesn't that DFI only officially support DDR2-800 though? How high can it go when overclocking?

Max 1333MHz cpu / 1066 MHz mem at stock - can't remember what I mahaged but the article quotes

Overclocking […]
Show full quote

Overclocking

Using our Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, we managed to squeeze out an awesome 500MHz FSB from it, but the system cunningly forgot it had SATA function or BSOD'd until we dropped it back down the 485MHz FSB, and even then we had to draw it back again to 480MHz FSB to get it stable.

On a dual core--our E8500 to be exact--500MHz FSB was no sweat at all. Here we tried an interesting little file from the DFI site - we downloaded the ABS BIOS presets for an E8500 at 560-600MHz FSB! The process is remarkably simple; by just downloading the file and "writing" the settings to flash the CMOS Reloaded function now has these new settings available to use on the next reboot.

Did they work with our humble CPU to frequencies far in excess of what we've previously seen? Oh yes! 560MHz FSB? No problem. 600MHz? Yeah, alright then. That was our limit though - anything over and our OCZ memory rated to 1,150MHz just couldn't handle excess of 1,200MHz at 2.45V.

The bottom line is that if you're thinking of an E8x00-something and want some OC fun - buy the DFI LANParty P45 T2RS!

Another nice board I had, although maybe more enterprise targeted was the Asus P5Q-VM DO (the 'regular' board lacked the DO part)

Reply 7 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:
Max 1333MHz cpu / 1066 MHz mem at stock - can't remember what I mahaged but the article quotes […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

Max 1333MHz cpu / 1066 MHz mem at stock - can't remember what I mahaged but the article quotes

Overclocking […]
Show full quote

Overclocking

Using our Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, we managed to squeeze out an awesome 500MHz FSB from it, but the system cunningly forgot it had SATA function or BSOD'd until we dropped it back down the 485MHz FSB, and even then we had to draw it back again to 480MHz FSB to get it stable.

On a dual core--our E8500 to be exact--500MHz FSB was no sweat at all. Here we tried an interesting little file from the DFI site - we downloaded the ABS BIOS presets for an E8500 at 560-600MHz FSB! The process is remarkably simple; by just downloading the file and "writing" the settings to flash the CMOS Reloaded function now has these new settings available to use on the next reboot.

Did they work with our humble CPU to frequencies far in excess of what we've previously seen? Oh yes! 560MHz FSB? No problem. 600MHz? Yeah, alright then. That was our limit though - anything over and our OCZ memory rated to 1,150MHz just couldn't handle excess of 1,200MHz at 2.45V.

The bottom line is that if you're thinking of an E8x00-something and want some OC fun - buy the DFI LANParty P45 T2RS!

Another nice board I had, although maybe more enterprise targeted was the Asus P5Q-VM DO (the 'regular' board lacked the DO part)

Hmmm.. the product page and some other pages that quote the specs say DDR2-800. Saw a review on Newegg that said it was really tricky to even get it to 1066 and it wasn't completely stable so they went back to 800.

And that review was saying that all the negative reviews were because people didn't know how to set stuff up.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think DFI CS was a bit erratic and their bios support kind of patchy at times, but they did some nice OCing download files on the web. I ran the board with a full set of Geil Black Dragon PC2 8500 and it never missed a beat.

Reply 9 of 13, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to snag a couple of nice boards based on what people on this thread mentioned. Got myself an AOpen MX3S-T which is i815 based and supports Tualatin processors even (!), as well as an Intel based i865 mATX board which is going to replace an Asrock P4i65G which is a decent board but has caused me a lot of headaches with RAM timings.

Now, if only I could get my hands on a s775 board that doesn't suck!

Reply 10 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Garrett W wrote:

Managed to snag a couple of nice boards based on what people on this thread mentioned. Got myself an AOpen MX3S-T which is i815 based and supports Tualatin processors even (!), as well as an Intel based i865 mATX board which is going to replace an Asrock P4i65G which is a decent board but has caused me a lot of headaches with RAM timings.

Now, if only I could get my hands on a s775 board that doesn't suck!

Gigabyte EP45 UD3P is one of the best LGA775 boards out there. There are a couple other board from Gigabyte that are in the same model family that should be just as good.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 13, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't plan to overclock, intel branded boards are cheap and are very reliable. I found this model on ebay in the US.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … ard-dg45id.html

The G45 are the same as the P45 in most respects, they just come with integrated graphics.

An Asus P5Q-VM is a great board, but a bit pricey. You might have luck with the G41 and G45 chipset boards, but no guarantees about overclocking.

Reply 13 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Garrett W wrote:

I meant mATX 775 board 😜

Oops... I replied without realizing what thread I was replying in. 😊

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK