VOGONS

First post, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't been actively doing any repairs lately, however I got this board hippo octek vl+. I have had it for a long time its always been dead, anyway from time to time ill do a little test with a multimeter here and there just poke around 5-10 minutes every few weeks.

Quick history is board is clean no visual damage, it doesn't power up but does measure voltages on isa slots and power rails from what I recall, cpu even gets warm but no beep bo pciture.

This is the history might not be too relevant to my question.

Today I decided to focus on the 5 capacitors next to the power plug, 3 of them go through the power rails.

This is my question:

I test 3 capacitors that go through the power rails (circled in red) each capacitor shows 0 resistance, no continuity between - and + terminals, however after testing them for continuity they obviously charge up and using multimeter in dcv mode I can see each capacitor holding 2.4V and drain down as I measure it, they discharging normally.

When I do the same procedure on the 2 outside caps (circled in blue) they show a resistance of 100, so not full continuity but a measure resistance. But in dcv mode they hold 0 charge.

all 5 caps are the same, however the blue circle caps do not go through the power rails, the red do.

Is this expected behaviour? I was expecting if it is same type of capacitor they would all behave same and hold charge?

all 5 capacitors show continuity from - pin to ground (screw holder on board) so they should all discharge at same rate?

I do realise they are in circuit and should all behave different depending what they are connected to, but not that much difference not to show any charge.

Draw-Over-Photo1569567846223.png
Draw-Over-Photo1569567885857.png

Reply 1 of 6, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you de-solder the caps before measuring them? It makes very little sense to measure them in the board. And if you de-solder them, might as well solder new ones back in, they're cheap. I say just go ahead and replace all 5.
I've recently fixed a dead mobo by repllacing 14 caps that were ever so slightly bulged at the top. It fixed the mobo, but the interesting thing was that the caps generally measured more or less OK and indicated measured capacity 1.5x their nominal value. I don't have an ESR meter, unfortunately, I bet their ESR was through the roof.

Reply 2 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no I didn't desolder them, thats why the kind of weird question because I wasn't sure if they should all hold charge in circuit as a rule or not. I have been considering to change all 25 caps but the 5-10 minutes I give this board every few weeks just isn't enough time.

Yeah your right perhaps ill just change the 5 for the start, shouldn't take more then 15 mins

Reply 3 of 6, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
treeman wrote:

I wasn't sure if they should all hold charge in circuit as a rule or not.

The way I see it, it heavily depends on the circuitry around them, and the voltage they're charged to as certain voltage will start opening diodes and transistors in the ICs and on the board. That's why I think any in-the-board measurements have zero diagnostic value. Short of maybe measuring LF and HF ripple with a decent oscilloscope while the board is powered up.

Reply 5 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah thanx guys, changing the 25 electrolytic caps and 7-8 tantalums that this board has was the right thing to do in my mind since it has 0 visual damage and looks very clean and yes I tested the bios in a external reader and the image looks fine.

However I could never bring myself to invest 1-2 hours for a full recap as playing the mental chess game of what if and what's next always brings me to the point that this model is just not that interesting at the moment to me, so when I am really bored I sometimes poke 5-10 minutes at it.

I guess maybye ill recap it in stages.

Reply 6 of 6, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the tantaulms voltage rating vs the voltage they're being used at. If they're rated at 2x or more their working voltage, they are very reliable. Check them for a short; if they're OK, then leave them.

Lytics need to be tested with AC, not DC, and your resistance meter inserts a DC current, which is what charges the capacitors up. As has been said, to test them individually, you have to remove them (or disconnect one leg), so if they're old you may as well just replace them. If there's room, I like to use the next step up in voltage rating; the higher-voltage parts tend to have lower ESR and more thermal mass to withstand temperature extremes. Definitely use 105ºC-rated parts.