VOGONS

Reply 60 of 103, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alll those '80s 8-bit systems were so colorful in their blacks, silvers etc. You would've thought it was a modern thing going by some here.

Yeah, and almost all of those late 70s and early 80s computers were also all show and no go, just like the box art for the "games".

*edit* Damn, you edited your post and now my reply doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2019-10-07, 12:11. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 61 of 103, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only thing I had to do with them were C64s a breadbin and C64c for the kids. They seemed quite happy at the time, late 80s.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 62 of 103, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
j^aws wrote:

I still have these somewhere in storage:
iMac G4 with Harmon Kardon speakers

imac_g4.jpg

Aye yes, those speakers were really fitting with the iMac G4's design, such a shame that the membranes don't hold up well (same issue is plaguing the iMac G3's speakers too)

As for the other Harman/Kardon speakers (the SoundSticks), these are still made today believe it or not.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 63 of 103, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

Some people are just, just, how shall I put it , soooo beige

Sir, you are being racist and rude! ;D

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 64 of 103, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

Folk are just far too PC these days :p

Reply 65 of 103, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote:
HanJammer wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

Folk are just far too PC these days :p

🤣 nice pun

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 66 of 103, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of my better works....

Reply 67 of 103, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the rubber on my Mac Pro speakers and the Sound Stiks has turned to goo. I've got some replacement drivers I think will fit the Pros but I haven't gotten around to that particular project yet. Not sure about the Stiks. Might have to get creative with those.

Reply 69 of 103, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But not as creative as Apple. Using recycled used condoms in your products is not good practice longevity wise. Full dis-closer I own a Mac.

Reply 71 of 103, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

But not as creative as Apple. Using recycled used condoms in your products is not good practice longevity wise. Full dis-closer I own a Mac.

I'm sure there's a stamina joke in there somewhere...

Reply 72 of 103, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
I have a new thing that looks like it should have come from the early 2000's :D (I specifically bought this colour because it re […]
Show full quote

I have a new thing that looks like it should have come from the early 2000's 😁 (I specifically bought this colour because it reminds me of the cheap toys and stuff from the late 90's 🤣)

IkzNe5A.jpg

eCaH74G.jpg

Another miracle made in China 😵 What a copycats!

The screen looks much better than the original though.

Reply 73 of 103, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is! Also it's 100% compatible with the original carts, in this pic I'm actually using a much cheaper Pokemon yellow clone cart. 🤣 It will even work with the multiplayer cable and communicate with original gameboys. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 74 of 103, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

I used to have a Bondi Blue iMac G3, the original one. I paid $20 for it, it came out of a barn. It eventually died and I bought a Grape iMac G3 rev C(?) to replace it. It's 333MHz and it runs Mac OS 9.2.2 really well, almost as well as my early PowerMac G4!

Oh yeah, my USB to IDE adapter is also translucent blue. So is my Teac USB floppy drive (which recently died, but I bought a NOS one of the same model).

Fun fact, all of these devices came from the same store (except the Grape iMac).

I have a bondi imac too but it's unfortunately dead, it chimes but it will only turn on if i hook up an external monitor. I guess that the flyback in it is shot since it has been the common issues with those macs, they had flakey flyback transformers. I replaced it with a Power Macintosh 6500/250 which still works to this day but the Quantum fireball HDD died in it so i replaced it with a seagate hdd that works. I had to sell the Apple USB keyboard and hockey puck mouse since the 6500 does not have USB. I like the mac but sadly it's beige instead of the cool translucent color.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 75 of 103, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

L0L, I needed a couple of electrical outlet timers, and guess what I found? Had to bite on these, mostly so I could add them to this thread (but also because they were cheap! Probably for good reason.)

CameraZOOM-20191014140359274.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20191014140359274.jpg
File size
231.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CameraZOOM-20191014140443582.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20191014140443582.jpg
File size
284.53 KiB
Views
File license

^^ OGODNO

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 77 of 103, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Screenshot_20191123-090854_eBay.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_20191123-090854_eBay.jpg
File size
352.67 KiB
Views
File license

I love this case, but there's no way I'm paying that price, nevermind $70 shipping.

I don't remember seeing cases like this back in the day, but if it was like $20 at a local yard sale or CL, that'd be a impulse buy all day.

Reply 79 of 103, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone recognise this? There's one for sale (for $10!) on my local site:

88217385_934.jpg

I really, really don't need it, and I really, really want it, partly because of this stupid thread which I started so it's my own dumb fault. I'd love to do a build like Wiretap's on the first page though. 😀 Is it a custom job, or did some case maker out there actually produce these for retail?

Although TBH I'd be concerned about static electricity, in my experience smooth acrylic like this usually carries so much charge you could stick a cat to it. Unless it's made out of very different stuff than what it looks like.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!