VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone been able to get a Voodoo2 or a Voodoo2 running on a socket 4 motherboard based around the Intel Mercury (430LX) chipset? I've been having the most difficult with this on two different socket 4 motherboards - Intel Batman's Revenge and Acer V12P. I'm using a Promise Ultra100 PCI controller card or a Promise SATA150TX2plus. I set the drivers are and try to run GLQuake in Win95c or in WinNT4, but keep receiving this error:

_GlideInitEnvironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo, none detected

followed by

grSstSelect: non-existent SST

followed by

Could not initialise GL (wglCreateContext failed)
Make sure you in are 65535 colour mode, and try running -window.

If I am using the Voodoo2 and check the display properties and view the Voodoo2 apelet, I see the spinning 3dfx, which I think doesn't occur if the Voodoo hardware isn't functional. Is the issue due to the PCI bus being too old? The Promise card is listed as bus master - is it having trouble sharing the PCI bus with the Voodoo?

I tried running other games like Quake II, Descent, MDF (3dfx mode), but the result is the same. It left me wondering if anyone has had success running a Voodoo 1/2 on a socket 4 Mercury. Any ideas to getting this hardware combination working? I am using the Pentium 133 MHZ overdrive in the socket 4 systems.

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-10-06, 19:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 53, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did nothing special when setting up my Socket 4 system with a Voodoo 1 (same board and CPU):

My Socket4 build with SCSI, 3DFX and Pentium Overdrive

Seems to me like you have a driver problem

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be. I've switched around from voodoo2 and voodoo1 drivers on this system. But I deleted all the 3dfx* and glide* files from the harddrive, even after installation. Then installed the 3dfx drivers again. Its possible that my Voodoo1 card (HIS Arcade 3D) has gone faulty in storage. I did a lot of benchmarking with that on a 486 over a year ago and it worked fine. My spare Voodoo2 card has always been flakey though.

Do you remember which cards were in which slots on your Batman's Revenge board when you ran that back in 2014? I found that my bus mastering Promise ATA controller would only work in the centre PCI slot. Do you remember which BIOS revision was on your motherboard? I'm using the latest 1.00.13.

Reply 3 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tested my HIS Voodoo1 on my socket 3 motherboard to ensure that it works, and it worked fine on the Biostar MB-8433UUD with a POD100. I tested it in both NT4 and W95c. Biostar socket 3 system below:

socket3_POD100_Voodoo1.jpg
Filename
socket3_POD100_Voodoo1.jpg
File size
1.99 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

With the same hard drive and same installation as on the socket 3, I tested it again with the socket 4 Batman's Revenge board using a POD133. All other hardware was the same (photos). The socket 4 board returns an error that it can't find the Voodoo. Tested in both NT4 and Win95c. Intel Batman's Revenge socket 4 system below:

socket4_POD133_Voodoo1.jpg
Filename
socket4_POD133_Voodoo1.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license

In Win95, there is a control panel for the Voodoo1, this is what it looks like.

socket4_POD133_Voodoo1_display_properties.jpg
Filename
socket4_POD133_Voodoo1_display_properties.jpg
File size
312.96 KiB
Views
File license

What puzzles me is that vetz mentions he was able to use a Voodoo1 in his Batman's Revenge board. Could the model of 3dfx card be of importance? From Vetz's thread, he is using a Canopus Pure3D 6MB Voodoo Graphics, whereas I am using a HIS Arcade 3D Voodoo card. I wonder what could be the issue. His system was using an Adaptec SCSI card, whereas I am using a Promise Ultra100. Could the Promise be ceasing control of the PCI bus? Do Voodoo's need bus mastering?

My STB Voodoo2 didn't work either, nor does the Voodoo's work on my Acer V12P socket 4 system with all other hardware identical. Is there some PCI compliance issue?

Reply 4 of 53, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it could be conflict between the Promise IDE controller and the Voodoo. Try physically removing th promise controller and use the onboard IDE. 😵

The problem looks like the BIOS isn't allocating resource to the card because that resource is being used by something else so windows can't see it.

remove promise card, disable all hardware except essential, completly uninstall voodoo 2, reinstall voodoo 2. 😲

Yes voodoo 2 doesn't use IRQ but it does use memory address space and thats where the conflict is.

Reply 5 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm using the Voodoo1 now. The onboard IDE may not work with a 32 GB CF card. I will try, but these early motherboards sometimes don't have extended BIOS translation for drives larger than 512 MB. Some had it up to, I think 8 GB?, then 32 GB, then I think 128 GB. The CF card is setup up such that NT4 is on the first 7.8 GB, then the remainder of the real estate is Win95c. I was concerned that my CF card might get garbled if I try to use it on a motherboard without extended BIOS translation.

The Acer board has more options in the BIOS compared to the Intel one. I can select which PCI slots are for BUS mastering, which slots use INTA/B/C IRQ to use, and a few more. But nothing seemed to help.

I might need to clone the CF card onto a SCSI drive so that I can try an Adaptec host controller as this is what vetz was using. I don't really have any non-noisy SCSI HDD's left to set the system up with though, so using a noisy SCSI drive would just be a proof of concept. I have dozens of unused quiet IDE drives though.

Reply 6 of 53, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do you have a pci sata card?

also i have same problem with alot of scsi hardware, and not alot of quiet scsi drives and i'm not intrested in buying any, so I'm looking to get acards and rare addonics sata to scsi stuff, maybe investing in scsi to sd things aswell.

Reply 7 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

... a Promise SATA150TX2plus.

Yes, I tried a Promise SATA card. The outcome was the same. I believe I also have two Adaptec SATA cards in my drawer, but they are quite a bit newer than the Promise. If I recall, one of them only worked with SATA CD/DVD drives, and the other only with HDDs. Thanks for the thought, I'll try to find them.

Finding a quiet SCSI drive these days is costly and time consuming. Seems like about 4 in 5 are too noisy (high pitch rotational noise). The ACARD IDE to SCSI bridge adapters are too expensive in my view. I have one of the ACARDs for HDDs (also one for SATA DVD drives), but it is in use.

I do have a second SCSI2SD device I use for testing. I'll probably clone the CD card onto that and test it with an Adaptec 2940U2W host controller to see if it fixes the Voodoo problem. But if the Promise Ultra100 card is somehow preventing the Voodoo from working, why would the Matrox G200 PCI card work?

Reply 8 of 53, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best 68 pin FDB scsi drive I ever owned was st373207lw. Its quiet at 10k rpm like it is quieter than some IDE drives and scale from 1-10 10 on reliable. But they are like 70 dollars and at that price acards make sense.but if i ever would see them for very cheap id jump on that in a second. Cause I have some that Ive used for 15 years and are still reliable and pretty quiet.

I owned some Fujitsu FDB map scsi drives or something at one time they were quieter than sata drives easy quietest scsi drives on the planet you can even hear them. they were 15k and u couldnt hear them But they were very unreliable and got bad sectors and stuff. So maybe i had a bad batch but i wouldn't recommend those, based on my experience.

I fell a quiet scsi drive needs to be around 3.0 bels +/- .3

Reply 9 of 53, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Feipoa, I've updated the broken pictures in my original thread. The 3DFX card was installed in the middle PCI slot.

I cannot remember which BIOS version I had, the computer is now in storage and I won't have access to it untill December.

I also agree that the Promise card is the main culprit here. I don't think the different 3DFX card is the source of the problems.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had identical models of SCSI drives with one noisy and one quiet. I think the bearing grease dries up over time. The drive with more hours and hotter temperatures probably wears out faster.

OK. I have tried an Adaptec 2940U2W host controller with a SCSI2SD drive, but the problem prevails. I tried deleting the 3dfx minigl files in the GLQuake and Quake II folders in an attempt to get the Matrox G200 to run these games, but

in GLQuake I receive an error:

Could not initialise GL (wglCreateContext failed)
Make sure you in are 65535 colour mode, and try running -window

Of course I tried 65535 colour mode and -window, but the error is the same.

in Quake II I receive a Windows NT Dr. Watson error:

An application error has occurred and an application error log is being generated. 
quake2.exe

It is looking like 3D acceleration just doesn't want to work on these socket 4 boards. I will try one more graphics card to be sure, probably try the TNT. I really wonder how vetz pulled this off.

I also tried using the onboard IDE controllers, but with the CF card plugged in, the system wouldn't even let me into the BIOS - it just hangs after memory count.

Reply 12 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:

yes problem prevails but not the same errors. makes me think its multiple things going on here.

I receive the exact same error noted previously when attempting to use the Voodoo1 card.

The error message I provided in my previous post was when trying to use the Matrox G200 for 3D acceleration. I have not tried this before.

Reply 13 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tried identical PCI locations for my expansion cards as vetz, but didn't help. I also tried the same model Adaptec SCSI controller as him, the 19160, but didn't help.

I have two other PCI SATA controllers which work with HDDs, but they do not have Win9x or NT4 drivers. They are the Adaptec AAR-2410SA and the AAR-1420SA. I'm running out of options. I'll try TNT card. Failing that, I'll try a fresh install of NT4.

If Vetz is willing to check his computer settings in December, I can try to copy them, e.g. BIOS version, settings, etc.

I thought this was going to be an easy system build, but turns out I was wrong.

Reply 15 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe a bit later. That is for Win9x, but my SCSI2SD card currently has only NT4 on it.

I just tested a Diamond Viper V550, which is a RIVA TNT card, and works on the Batman's Revenge board in GLQuake and Quake II. So not all 3D accelerators are dysfunctional on this board. My end goal is for a Voodoo1 though.

Reply 16 of 53, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Maybe a bit later. That is for Win9x, but my SCSI2SD card currently has only NT4 on it.

I just tested a Diamond Viper V550, which is a RIVA TNT card, and works on the Batman's Revenge board in GLQuake and Quake II. So not all 3D accelerators are dysfunctional on this board. My end goal is for a Voodoo1 though.

I wonder is its not all voodoo 1s that don't work. Wonder if vetz has same voodoo 1

Reply 17 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vetz is using a Canopus Pure3D Voodoo with 6 MB, I am using a HIS Arcade 3D Voodoo with 4 MB, but the 3dfx chipset model number is the same. The RAMDAC is different though. The main difference in components seems to be these two chips on vetz's card (circled in photo below), which my card does not have.

2014-06-28-23-02-39-small-edit.jpg
Filename
2014-06-28-23-02-39-small-edit.jpg
File size
241.84 KiB
Views
File license

EDIT: And looking eBay, it seems that not all Canopus Pure3D cards have these two chips, e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/182134728081

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-10-01, 10:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, probably.

I tried another 3D card, the Diamond Stealth III S540, which is based on the S3 Savage4 Pro+, but the screen showed up as all garbled on NT4's blue boot screen after installing the drivers.