VOGONS

Reply 20 of 53, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:

those maybe for composite and svideo out if it has that.

My card has S-VIDEO og composite output. Canopus have their own design on the 3DFX cards and I used Canopus drivers. I can try and install a generic 3DFX card in December to see if it makes a difference.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you happen to have a download location for the particular canopus drivers you used? Maybe they will work on my HIS Arcade 3D?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, my Batman's Revenge motherboard stopped working after I tried about a dozen PCI graphics cards. The Creative and Diamond branded TNT card's both worked. Then I tried:

GeForce2MX, Radeon 9250, Stealth III S540 (S3 Savage4 Pro+), Matrox G450, TNT2 Vanta, 3DLabs Oxygen VX1, Riva128

None of these worked, but when I put my loyal Matrox G200 back into the PCI slot, the screen stayed blank. Screen stayed blank for the TNT cards as well. Tried a VirgeDX, screen stayed blank. Performed a BIOS recovery using the BIOS recovery disk to bring the system back to 1.00.08. POwered back on, screen stayed blank. Used recovery disk for 1.00.13. Powered back on, screen stayed blank. Put my POST card into the ISA slot. The boot process is stuck on whatever "d9" is. THe bootlet which came with POST card doesn't have an entry for D9 for AMI BIOSes. The booklet's entries go up to d6.

Did some graphics card break some IC on the motherboard?

Reply 24 of 53, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sorry that happened to you. 😢
Here is somthing.

https://ami.com/ami_downloads/AMIBIOS8_Checkp … _Beep_Codes.pdf

D9 Store the Uncompressed pointer for future use in PMM. Copying Main BIOS into memory. Leaves all RAM below 1MB Read-Write including E000 and F000 shadow areas but closing SMRAM.

Reply 25 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boot block damaged? Probably not because the recovery disk works, which requires the boot block. I'll check for cold joints tomorrow. What a bummer. There's always my Acer V12P, but it doesn't even work with the TNT.

Reply 26 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the board at least boots again. I removed the RTC module with external battery and let it sit over night. Then put it back in - noboot. Then I removed the VirgeDX card I had installed in slot 1, then jammed it into slot 2 with an unnecessary amount of force, and the damn thing turn on again. Perhaps there is some cold joint on the board that gets disconnected with the pressure of PCI card insertion. Could this be related to my Voodoo1 problem? Seems unlikely, but will try the Voodoo1 once more. At least one decent 3D accelerator card works on this board.

Reply 28 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried glide in DOS yet, but when I run Quake in DOS, the screen lightens up, which seems to only happen with it detects a Voodoo card. I'll give some DOS glide game a go this evening, that is, assuming the board still works by then. I need to inspect the QFP solder points on the PCIset chip and others.

Reply 29 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, its back to not booting. The Diamond TNT card was working fine, so I thought I'd try the Matrox G200 again, which had worked flawlessly before, and we're back at POST code D9. I'll have to check the traces. I bought the board with a cut in the traces a while back, but had repaired them. Photos here: Re: Unknown socket 4 - need manual Everything was fine until I started goofing around with various 3D graphic cards. The graphics cards weren't installed very long, just long enough to see that they didn't work, then power off. Could they have drawn too much current for the PCIset chip? If I had to pick a card to blaim, it would be the S3 Savage4 Pro+ as it showed a garbled screen image.

Savage4_Garbled_Screen.jpg
Filename
Savage4_Garbled_Screen.jpg
File size
317.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Perhaps I should try the 3.3 V AUX connector for PCI cards? I'd have to use a ATX power supply with AT conversion though.

Reply 30 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I discovered an open trace that I just now patched. I had patched it in the past, but only using a solder bridge between the traces. I used a jumper wire this time. Motherboard works as before now. I guess all the flexing of inserting graphic cards opened up the solder bridge. Nonetheless, I still cannot get the Voodoo1 working on this board.

Open_Trace.jpg
Filename
Open_Trace.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
New_patch.jpg
Filename
New_patch.jpg
File size
1.96 MiB
Views
File license

By the way, I don't know what happened to the board previously, I bought it used and it came with that gouge across 16 traces. I have jumpered 4 with wire and the other 12 have been tinned/bridged. If I recall, there were only 2 or 3 of these traces which were disconnected before I tinned it.

Does anyone else have a Batman's Revenge, Acer V12P, or any socket 4 motherboard based on the Mercury chipset and are able to test a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2? Even my NexGen board works with a Voodoo, so I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I'll try a fresh Win95c install on the SCSI2SD + Adaptec.

Reply 31 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:

does the voodoo work in dos?

I tried running Descent and Carmagaddeon from DOS. I can't recall if the Descent 3dfx patch works in DOS, but I know Carmagaddeon works in DOS. The result is as follows.

Carma.jpg
Filename
Carma.jpg
File size
350.02 KiB
Views
File license
Descent.jpg
Filename
Descent.jpg
File size
380.16 KiB
Views
File license

Also attached is a screenshot from the Windows 95 Device Manager showing that the Voodoo card is found. A memory range is assigned to the card.

Win95_Voodoo_Detection.jpg
Filename
Win95_Voodoo_Detection.jpg
File size
367.34 KiB
Views
File license

Vetz, do you have another Voodoo1 card or a Voodoo2 card that you'd be willing to test in your Batman's Revenge system come December?

Reply 32 of 53, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahwile ago I found the specification update for that board that listed errata and board revisions. I was trying to decide if I anted to buy one after I found a very cheap one and it was like NOS and latest revision, but it seems like no one around this forum thought that this is a good board and I didn't buy it. I've been trying to help but ya, you might just have a buggy board revision, If I can find that errate sheet again ill share it, 😒 😐 😀

Reply 33 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A motherboard revision list would be interesting to view, but perhaps not the motherboard itself is the issue but some revision of the Mercury chipset? Remember my Acer V12P motherboard exhibits the same problem with the Voodoo's.

I might see if I can get that Gateway BIOS back on here, but I may be at risk of buggering up the BIOS entirely.

Reply 34 of 53, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some documentation. Looks like these are for premire/pci II

https://web.archive.org/web/20000815075053/ht … /premierepciII/

https://www.datasheetarchive.com/pdf/download … pe=P&term=430NX

https://web.archive.org/web/20030320162746/ht … bd/28162602.pdf

edit
https://web.archive.org/web/20000815080806/ht … enmbfaq.htm#10A

Last edited by Warlord on 2019-10-02, 10:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 35 of 53, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is for just normal Premire/PCI 1st one non II
Not sure why there are so many revisions
Premiere/PCI II
Premiere/PCI ED
Premiere/PCI GX
Premiere/PCI LC
Premiere/PCI LP
Premiere/PCI LX
https://web.archive.org/web/20000815054629/ht … esktop/archive/

Reply 36 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those first set of links are for the socket 5 version (Premiere II) of an almost identical socket 4 motherboard (Premeire). Not sure if using the socket 5 BIOS is advisable. The socket 4 manual is attached.

Not much documentation concerning using 3D cards on this board. I found that the Riva TNT drivers only work properly in NT4. In Win95c, the system won't startup after installing the drivers. I've tried numerous versions.

I'm also not sure what all those suffixes are for - ED, GX, LC...

Attachments

Reply 38 of 53, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Vetz, do you have another Voodoo1 card or a Voodoo2 card that you'd be willing to test in your Batman's Revenge system come December?

yes, I have multiple ones. I was thinking of testing the Diamond Monster3D.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 39 of 53, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
feipoa wrote:

yes, I have multiple ones. I was thinking of testing the Diamond Monster3D.

OK, thank you. I have a feeling I won't resolve this issue in the next few months. By any chance did you take a photo of the boot screen which notes the BIOS revision you are using?

This is interesting, in one of those links you provided, Intel described this method for changing your graphics adapter,

Graphics Questions

How should I add a PCI video card into my Advanced system?
You can do the following:
Perform a CMOS clear. The procedure is as follows:
Note your current settings
Turn power off
Set the CMOS Clear jumper or switch to the CLEAR position (see the product documentation)
Turn power on
After approximately 30 seconds turn the power off
Set the CMOS Clear jumper or switch to the OFF or NORMAL position
Turn your system on and enter the CMOS setup to change settings as you require (hard drive, etc.)
Some PCI video boards have issues with PCI burst transfers. Using an ISA video board you can disable 'PCI Burst' in the Advanced Chipset submenu found in the BIOS Setup. You should remove any add-in PCI video board before installing the ISA video board.