VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
since I don't have enough room for multiple PC's atm I want one laptop that can decently emulate DOS games but still has 4:3 screen.

Iam using T30 for this purpose, but later dos games run really slow.

What are possible upgrades ?

Thanks in advance 😊

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 2 of 3, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinkpad T60 or T61 - 14 inch in 1024 x 768 or 1400 x 1050. 15 inch in 1600 x 1200. Core 2 Duo. Someone was building a replacement motherboard for these to upgrade them to modern i5 while retaining the original form factor including display, but I can't seem to find the project page now so I guess they never finished.

Reply 3 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The project name (by 51nb) was T70 and they did finish it and even sold some units, but I believe they are no longer manufactured and are only available on second-hand market.

T60/T61 should be enough for solid emulation of DOS games. Best IMO are the 15" SXGA+/UXGA IPS screens available only on T60. T61 4:3 was only available in 14" screens, which were rather mediocre TN (on par with the T30).

"Frankenpadding" - putting T61 hardware in a 15" T60 IPS shell - is a thing. But even plain T60 should be enough for DOSBox (I have such a system myself).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys