VOGONS

First post, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got a Libretto 50CT. Absolutely fantastic little thing. Still waiting on the AC adapter to arrive so I can use it - didn't come with one.

I ordered a PCMCIA Ethernet card on eBay for it, but upon arrival, the card did not fit. I then realized that this is a 32-bit card, and the Libretto is only 16-bit. Hence, the card would not properly insert.
That's no big deal, the card was cheap and I can probably find a 16-bit NIC at my thrift store. However, this does hinder my ability to get files/games onto it.

I have a USB hard drive reader, and one end is for laptop IDE/PATA drives. In theory, could I just use this? Can Windows 10 read/write onto a presumably FAT-formatted disk? And would doing this damage the hard drive in any way? I wouldn't do this for very long, as finding a 16-bit NIC is now a priority, it's tedious to remove the drive each time, and I'd try do it as little as possible to avoid connector stress. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ultrax
__
Presario 425|DX2-50|8MB|SB V16S|D622/WFW3.11 😎
Deskpro XE 450|DX2-50|32 MB|NT4.0/95
SR2038X|Athlon 64 X2 3800|2G|GT710 WINXP
Dimension 4400|P4 NW 2 GHz|256M|R128U AGP|WINXP
HPMini311|N270|2G|9400M|WINXP
Libretto50CT|P75|16MB|YMF711|WIN95 😎

Reply 2 of 9, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can put the hard drive onto your PC with a hard drive reader, however my recommendation for getting files on and off of the libretto (as the owner of a 50CT), is to use a PCMCIA to Compact Flash adapter, which detects in Windows 95 / 98 as an IDE drive and you can move it back and forth like a USB drive. Just use a USB to CompactFlash on the PC.

That allows you to ferry files across without restarting either machine and doesn't risk damaging the hard drive caddy / cover on the libretto 😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I definitely need to get one of those, along with the network card. This whole convoluted hard drive transport method will be very temporary. I'm not going to do it often because I don't want to break anything (not likely that I will because I will be incredibly gentle, but still) as this particular 50CT is in absolutely fantastic shape. But yes, I will certainly look into getting a PCMCIA to CF adapter for it. Thanks for the recommendation 😀

Ultrax
__

Reply 4 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ultrax wrote:

I definitely need to get one of those, along with the network card. This whole convoluted hard drive transport method will be very temporary. I'm not going to do it often because I don't want to break anything (not likely that I will because I will be incredibly gentle, but still) as this particular 50CT is in absolutely fantastic shape. But yes, I will certainly look into getting a PCMCIA to CF adapter for it. Thanks for the recommendation 😀

I've done this kinda thing so many times. no need to worry. I usually put 98 install files, drivers, apps on a separate patrician like this from another computer for every time I build a machine or restore it becasue its just much better.

Reply 5 of 9, by Ultrax

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:
Ultrax wrote:

I've done this kinda thing so many times. no need to worry. I usually put 98 install files, drivers, apps on a separate patrician like this from another computer for every time I build a machine or restore it becasue its just much better.

I might do something similar to that if I need to reinstall 95 on the Libretto: put the contents of the 95 disc on another partition, as well as the drivers, install to the other non-active partition, and set it as active and delete the one I installed from. Of course, all the partition management will be done on another PC 😀

I plan on dual-booting 95 and NT4 on this thing at some point. That might be a bit more complicated, but I could do it.

Ultrax
__

Reply 6 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use PCMCIA to CF reader on another computer, and if the libretto's has CF slot, use that, to shuffle files. Needs no driver when in windows 98SE. Around 1GB if I recall.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 9, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are many PCMCIA adapters for storage, the ones for Compact Flash cards are the simpler ones to use under Windows 9x, and even under pure DOS with dedicated software.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 8 of 9, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+ another vote for CF to PCMCIA adapter in a Libretto for ease of file transfers. The PCMCIA eject switch is not very strong and struggles to push a card out of the slot. I've made a small tab of tape on the PCMCIA card itself to freely remove the card. Great machines the 50/60/70CTs - I do note my 70CT's TFT is showing age, not being terribly bright, however I could just be spoilt by later TFTs in other machines.

JB

Reply 9 of 9, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Laptop ATA to USB adapter or a Laptop ATA to ATA adapter and plug it into a modern machine.

I'd recommend a CF to IDE for these things, with their size comes the possibility of easily dropping or shaking them a bit too much and damaging the mechanical disk. That, and CF to IDE will likely be faster and lower power, to extend the battery life. In that case, you can stick them on the CF card normally. SD to IDE is also an option.

Something else to consider - Use a PCMCIA / Parallel port CD-ROM drive, if you have one or can get one cheap. ZIP100 and other drives like this will also work fine.

I did my 50CTs and 70CT a bit differently - As soon as DOS / Windows was installed, I used an iomaega Clik! 40 drive and disk. Tiny things, I leave the drive in the Libretto and another drive in my Dell Latitude D630 (XP but still more modern). I have a couple 40MB disks I swap files between them with.

Oh, and if you feel comfortable running Windows 98SE or 2000 on your Libretto (HIGHLY recommend the 32MB RAM expansion, a fast hard disk or solid state solution, and probably should consider doing the clock mod shown here: http://retro.timb.us/Systems/Toshiba_Libretto … bretto%2070.pdf), then you can use a LAN card or a wireless card (I know my U.S. Robotics cards with X-Jack all work, and my Cisco Aeronet wireless B card also works great in Windows 2000).

Dualbooting 95 and NT4 sounds kinda difficult... And pointless. If you really want NT4 to run well, you'll probably need the 32MB RAM expansion, and at that point 98SE and 2000 will both run on it. With the clock mod, you might even get a patched XP to install. Better for a challenge than NT4 because you'll actually end up being able to do something!

EDIT: The software package for the Librettos will only run in 9x, it won't run at all in NT. Just thought of that. I think there are DOS utilities, but that's a huge downgrade just to use NT4.