VOGONS

First post, by sKeletoN_SN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

I know that this topic was really discussed back in the day, but to be honest I can't find any kind of documentation to offer answers for my all questions. Yes, I want to mod a Tualatin CPU to work on a motherboard with VIA Apollo PRO 133A chipset. As you may know VIA Apollo 133A does not officially support the Tualatin CPU lineup and it requires a physical CPU mod in order to regulate the voltage. For those who want to have no hassle with such a mod, VIA Apollo PRO 133T is a viable option as it supports tualatin CPU's right from the box.

My setup:
- motherboard: AOpen AX34
- ram: 2 x 256 SDRAM (512)
- gpu: GeForce 4 ti 4200 128MB
- cpu Pentium 3 Coppermine 1000/256/133

What I want is to change my current P3 Coppermine to a Tualatin 1.2 GHZ (NOT A CELERON!).
CPU World link: www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-III/Inte ... 0256).html

For those who already done such a mod or have some experience in this specific department I will kindly address some questions:
1. Is this physical mod valid at all? => http://www.geocities.ws/tuacubx/reads/MSMG.htm
2. Do I also need to somehow inject the Tualatin microcodes for the bios into my main bios of the motherboard?
3. How should I proceed with the CPU mod and what methods are better to use in order to insulate and link the necessary pins?
4. If It is needed for the bios to be updated with the necessary instructions for Tualatin CPU's, how to I proceed with that?

Thank you in advance.