VOGONS

First post, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this card.

it's an Everex RAM 8000 AT EV178

gT6xBhvl.jpg

My woes are in the software for this card, I'm hoping that someone has archive of the EV178.exe that is used to configure the eeprom on this card.
I have tried the Archives of the software for other similar cards that I can find, such as the 3000 and 10000 cards from Everex.

C974PROl.jpg

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-34252.html

this old forum post is about the most information I've been able to find, unfortunately I don not have an EEPROM programmer nor do I know how to use one 😒 besides I'd rather not have to desolder the eeprom from the board.

if anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated!

my life runs on X86

Reply 3 of 16, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Found the EV159.EXE, maybe worth a try.

Unfortunately I've already Tried this, and a few others. They dont seem to be compatible with eachother.

my life runs on X86

Reply 4 of 16, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

What IC do you think is the EPROM here..? Dont see any on your picture?

I'm told it's the small IC between the large main chip and the DIP switches.

my life runs on X86

Reply 5 of 16, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah OK, cannot read the label. Does not look difficult to desolder as last chance...maybe you can already try to find out the current configuration and if you can use it without modification.

Reply 6 of 16, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Ah OK, cannot read the label. Does not look difficult to desolder as last chance...maybe you can already try to find out the current configuration and if you can use it without modification.

unfortunately it doesn't appear to be configured correctly. the board has 4mb of ram installed, but the system is only detecting 2mb of expanded memory when the card is installed 😒 (ontop of the 2mb already in the system)

my life runs on X86

Reply 8 of 16, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:

unfortunately that's an I/O card, not a ram card. 😒 from what I'm finding it has to be that specific one for that specific card.

https://www.recycledgoods.com/everex-axp-1300 … xpansion-board/
if only someone had an archive who purchased one of these new old stock -_- at this point I'd be willing to buy another one if it included the software

my life runs on X86

Reply 9 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about EV158A.exe.. available here:
ftp://retronn.de/mirrors/metropoli/MISC/EVEREX/

If the cards EEPROM is configured, you should be able to use it even without the configuration utility.

See here:

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 16, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's funny, I could have sworn I saw an EV178 for sale on eBay not too long ago. I don't think it came with diskettes, unfortunately, and I couldn't find switch / jumpers on TH99.

I'll see if I can't find the software somewhere.

Reply 11 of 16, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
What about EV158A.exe.. available here: ftp://retronn.de/mirrors/metropoli/MISC/EVEREX/ […]
Show full quote

What about EV158A.exe.. available here:
ftp://retronn.de/mirrors/metropoli/MISC/EVEREX/

If the cards EEPROM is configured, you should be able to use it even without the configuration utility.

See here:

EV158 doesn't work. I've tried.

The issue is the card is configured incorrectly. I need to reconfigure the card, as I only have 2 of the 4mb on the card showing up.

my life runs on X86

Reply 12 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lol... I misread what you wrote... looking some more.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just checked the cards that I have in my boxes, both are 159's so I cant be of any direct assistance.

However, I'd go post over here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum.php?

I'd be genuinely surprised if someone there doesn't have it. That site caters more to the MUCH older systems.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the old everex download page.. but of course it goes to an ftp...

http://web.archive.org/web/19961104093708fw_/ … ib/techlib.html

During my searching, I discovered that FIC took over the Everex brand.. or maybe Everex turned into FIC?

In any case, none of the old FIC ftp mirrors I could find had anything for Everex except for the laptops that they sold under the Everex brand.

Here is a page that lists EV178.EXE that was on a BBS at some point:
https://defacto2.net/f/a41c09a

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 16, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tell ya man, you couldn't have picked a harder card to find a driver for. 🤣 I have looked at all my FTP haunts and nada thing. I hope you do find it eventually. I had an ITT Xtra XP XT/AT hybrid clone system that had a VERY proprietary memory card in it (pictured below) and without the ITT driver it was completely useless. It was frustrating to see it count all that extra memory at post and then not be able to use it. Ugh. I actually am glad those days of early PC hardware are over. Total pain in the butt.

ITTMEMSLOT.jpg
Filename
ITTMEMSLOT.jpg
File size
98.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
postmemtest.jpg
Filename
postmemtest.jpg
File size
90.49 KiB
Views
File license
ittxtrapp2.jpg
Filename
ittxtrapp2.jpg
File size
92.34 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 16 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

During my searching, I discovered that FIC took over the Everex brand.. or maybe Everex turned into FIC?

I highly doubt VIA took over anything other than the name, but who knows. VIA bought up a whole bunch of stuff including S3, Cyrix and Symphony Labs. All of those were formerly good companies which unfortunately didn't seem to help VIA not suck.

I'll keep my eyes open for the EV178 files. It may be out there, but possibly not under the name you're looking for. Sometimes OEMs buy parts from other companies and relabel them as something else. I've found some obscure hardware manuals that way (usually by accident).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium