VOGONS

First post, by gear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

How do you store your hardware ?
Do you have any advices or tips ?

I personnaly use letters for graphics/sound card and newspaper sheet for RAM. still searching for a good way to store CPU.

Reply 1 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For larger items, I use antistatic bags, ESD safe foam pads. Place into cardboard boxes or large plastic tote bins. (don't stack in a way to cause board warping.
For RAM, I use memory holders: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Sticks-Tray-H … ar=452565378451
For CPU's I use clamshell holders: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xeon-LGA771-CPU-Clam … ar=461593933273

Here's some of my CPU's and RAM:
w4LWdk1h.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 8, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am jealous of your RAM inventory. 😉

I have a small assortment of spare CPUs as well. I thought about creating a kind of flip-book for them with a couple layers of anti-static foam. One layer would be the backing, and the top layer would be cut to form for the CPU's shape to hold it in place. I would lay them out a few to a "page", maybe sized for 2x2 of the larger ones (Pentium and S423 P4), then cut holes for binder rings or something. I dunno... the idea is a WIP.

For motherboards, I keep them in anti-static bags and have them stored in a cardboard box like a bunch of vinyl albums. I can see the I/O side from the top of the box, so I can tell approximately which platform it belongs to, and can pluck it out with minimal fuss.

CD-ROM drives, similar -- they're arranged on their sides in alternating direction. But the box filled up, so I have a few stacked on top as well, which isn't very convenient.

For hard drives, I had planned to go with another box, but I would like to keep them from banging into each other. I know drives in bulk would ship in a foam carrier with individual slots. If I find anything like that, I'll definitely salvage it. Might have to get crafty though.

Reply 3 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find plastic 3.5" hdd packets handy for cpus. I pack similar types pin to pin to prevent pin damage. HDDs go in drawers. Ram are bundled in small anti static-static bags. Cache memory in old clear floppy storage boxes to easily ID. Most other stuff is just in boxes sorted as 8-bit, 16-bit, pci whatever they are. Mobos stored withe o/i up as per previous poster. Stuff for scrapping or stripping components from just goes lose in a box to keep it all together.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm hoarding tons of cardboard boxes in all sizes, bags, etc. so I can pack away smaller pieces easily. But in the end, all stuff is grouped and will end up in those IKEA boxes:

IMG_20191012_101022934.jpg

Once a pile of 3x4 is ready, it goes into storage.

Reply 5 of 8, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

I'm hoarding tons of cardboard boxes in all sizes, bags, etc. so I can pack away smaller pieces easily. But in the end, all stuff is grouped and will end up in those IKEA boxes:

I'm doing the very same thing. Cardboard first, plastic box later except for motherboards.
I store them in pizza boxes for easy access because I have like 50 and don't want to pile them up.

Reply 7 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

IMG_20191012_101022934.jpg

The good thing is you can see inside them is well. I still label mine though.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anti-static silver bags + Ikea plastic boxes (small and medium sizes only). But mosty I use motherboard and other cardboard boxes.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs