VOGONS

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i am building a new build and still not there yet but i am still debating with myself about cases but also thinking case fans

the case i am thinking of getting is corsair 200r which room for max of 8 fans (2x front, 2x top, 2x left panel, 1x rear, 1x bottom)

but the mobo (evga 780i) only has 4x 3-pin headers and thinking of using splitter cables but i am assuming each header max power is 1 amp

thinking of these nocuta fans for the case
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KF7R49 … 5RZ72I2JQ&psc=1

which says on the label DC-12V - 1.20W - 0.10A

PSU I will be using is EVGA 650 Watt GQ Gold Hybrid Modular (which has 54a on the 12v rail)

would i be safe using the fan splitters on all 4 headers with 2 fans on each and would it be enough power on the 12v rail along with GPU - GTX 580 (which it needs a min of 600w with 42a on 12v rail)

Reply 1 of 2, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robhalfordfan wrote:
i am building a new build and still not there yet but i am still debating with myself about cases but also thinking case fans […]
Show full quote

i am building a new build and still not there yet but i am still debating with myself about cases but also thinking case fans

the case i am thinking of getting is corsair 200r which room for max of 8 fans (2x front, 2x top, 2x left panel, 1x rear, 1x bottom)

but the mobo (evga 780i) only has 4x 3-pin headers and thinking of using splitter cables but i am assuming each header max power is 1 amp

thinking of these nocuta fans for the case
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KF7R49 … 5RZ72I2JQ&psc=1

which says on the label DC-12V - 1.20W - 0.10A

PSU I will be using is EVGA 650 Watt GQ Gold Hybrid Modular (which has 54a on the 12v rail)

would i be safe using the fan splitters on all 4 headers with 2 fans on each and would it be enough power on the 12v rail along with GPU - GTX 580 (which it needs a min of 600w with 42a on 12v rail)

Should be just fine. Although fans use quite a bit more amperage to initially begin spinning, as you see those modern Noctuas are very low overall and you should be fine to run 2 or 3 per MB header. I'm sure that PSU will be fine though you could always opt for an even more beefy PSU if you want headroom.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 2 of 2, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for replying and will keep that in mind and will try with one fan per header and see how it goes and hopefully it will keep the build I am build cool enough, if not I will think more fan and splitters