Robhalfordfan wrote:
what about this cpu […]
Show full quote

what about this cpu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Pentiu ... SwZ4RcMVzQ

what about this motherboard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-GA-8ISXT- … kcAAOSwW95dJey6

cam ask the seller what cpu that it comes with is

The motherboard looks good. It is intel 845/ICH2 which is great. 865 is a bit faster and has more features but it shouldn't hold you back.

I think the price and shipping is pretty steep.

The link on the CPU is broken, but assuming it is a northwood processor of some kind, it is pretty hard to go wrong. Check the CPU compatibility on the board you choose just to be safe.

Reply 41 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
The motherboard looks good. It is intel 845/ICH2 which is great. 865 is a bit faster and has more features but it shouldn't hold […]
Show full quote
Robhalfordfan wrote:
what about this cpu […]
Show full quote

what about this cpu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Pentiu ... SwZ4RcMVzQ

what about this motherboard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-GA-8ISXT- … kcAAOSwW95dJey6

cam ask the seller what cpu that it comes with is

The motherboard looks good. It is intel 845/ICH2 which is great. 865 is a bit faster and has more features but it shouldn't hold you back.

I think the price and shipping is pretty steep.

The link on the CPU is broken, but assuming it is a northwood processor of some kind, it is pretty hard to go wrong. Check the CPU compatibility on the board you choose just to be safe.

sorry here the cpu link and cpu-world says it a northwood

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Pentium-4-SL … 9.c100903.m5276

if that would work and fit the bill what kind of cooler would excellent

shipping is free as i live in uk

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-11-21, 19:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
Robhalfordfan wrote:
ok thank you […]
Show full quote
MKT_Gundam wrote:
My Actual win98 manchhine is a p4 northwood 2.2, abit IS7-E2 mobo, Vortex1 and gf2mx. I wil upgrade for a 9600 or fx5500 for du […]
Show full quote

My Actual win98 manchhine is a p4 northwood 2.2, abit IS7-E2 mobo, Vortex1 and gf2mx.
I wil upgrade for a 9600 or fx5500 for dual boot xp and Nglide.
I still hunting for a celeron 420 mobo compatible. Because:
-Has agp support (VIA chipset by the time). Speed wise is just a northwood non-HT cpu.
-TDP is lower than P4 Celeron, even the early lga775 ones.
-The TDP is only 37w, the same of p3 copermines cpus. Also great underclock potential
Also exist very few win 98 speed sensitive games.
In my experience was Dracula The Resurrection
The first one run too fast on my Sempron 2.8ghz (am3) manchine witn winxp. The second game runs normal.

ok thank you

that a few saying p4 northwood, what are temps likes and assuming that stock coolers on these are not as good or am i wrong here

thank you to everyone helping and lets keep it going as it is all helping

Pretty much every P4 can get hot and loud on a stock cooler. Northwood is cooler than prescott. A lower clocked p4 runs cooler still. I zip tied a 65mm noctua fan to my northwood 3.06ghz model and it runs fine. A 2.2ghz model or a 2.4ghz model will have plenty of performance and more than enough umph for windows 98. The only reason to consider a faster model IMO is if you want to dual boot XP and try for early to mid 2000's gaming (which is period correct for that hardware, but still).

this will only be or windows 98 as i have a xp build already

Reply 43 of 67, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what do you mean by cant be a power issues on newer PSUs as i thought anything before p4 uses the 5v rail and doesn't have 4-pin 12v connecter

Indeed, however only AMD was stupid enough to create a Pentium 4 class power draw CPUs, WITHOUT it.

Pentium 3s will NOT overload 5V rail on decent modern PSUs.

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2019-11-22, 05:58. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 45 of 67, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

Indeed, however only AMD was stupid enough to create a Pentium 4 class power draw CPUs, WITHOUT it.

That wasn't down to AMD. Motherboard designers were free to use ATX12V to supply the CPU and some did.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 47 of 67, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

I always thought AMD should have forced 12V EPS connector on MB manufacturers.

AMD was small enough, I doubt they could "force" anything on anyone. They could have tried sweet reason to convince their partners it was a good idea, but ultimately it was up to the board companies.

Reply 48 of 67, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not to mention that the 12V was not 'necessary', a decent PSU should have had good amperage on the 5V rail anyway. If anything, it was a fail on the part of PSU manufacturers and OEMs.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 50 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

list of mobos:
Abit BD7-E
Intel D815PEA2
Abit SL6
Asus CUPLE-VM
would this psu work fine with any of these or overkill for this build (i got this a while ago for a something else)

https://seasonic.com/m12ii-evo#specification

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 67, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Not to mention that the 12V was not 'necessary', a decent PSU should have had good amperage on the 5V rail anyway. If anything, it was a fail on the part of PSU manufacturers and OEMs.

It was a potential issue with overclocking. More than one ATX connector self destructed due to large amounts of current on the 5V rail while cranking up a Barton CPU.

Reply 52 of 67, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robhalfordfan wrote:

would this psu work fine with any of these or overkill for this build (i got this a while ago for a something else)

https://seasonic.com/m12ii-evo#specification

Yes to both 😉 honestly a decent modern 400watt PSU would be plenty for anything but the latest and most power hungry AGP cards (HD 3870, GTX 7800+) EDIT: At least for a Pentium 4

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 53 of 67, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as a socket 478 Pentium 4 goes, literally the worst stock cooler or equivalent will be fine for anything from 1.6ghz to 2.8ghz Northwood core processors. A basic intel 845 chipset motherboard and any CPU in that range with almost any common and cheap as chips 478 HSF will do the job. Something like this : Mainboard Intel Socket 478 ms-6719 Ver 1 would be my suggestion.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 54 of 67, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No DOS games at all? Consider Windows Me rather than 98SE, then; it's a bit more modern, may be a bit more stable too.

Pentium 4 is probably overkill, but will probably be easier/cheaper to get than a high-end Pentium III.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 55 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

No DOS games at all? Consider Windows Me rather than 98SE, then; it's a bit more modern, may be a bit more stable too.

Pentium 4 is probably overkill, but will probably be easier/cheaper to get than a high-end Pentium III.

yes, no dos games for this build as i have a penitum 200 mmx pc with dos 6.22/win3.11 and windows 95 on it my first vintage pc build (Win 95) - RETIRED

i thought windows me was so bad, it nae worth it or heard it that way, i don't remember it being the worst

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-11-26, 17:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 56 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

As far as a socket 478 Pentium 4 goes, literally the worst stock cooler or equivalent will be fine for anything from 1.6ghz to 2.8ghz Northwood core processors. A basic intel 845 chipset motherboard and any CPU in that range with almost any common and cheap as chips 478 HSF will do the job. Something like this Mainboard Intel Socket 478 ms-6719 Ver 1 would be my suggestion.

had a look and not sure if seller will ship to uk and having trouble finding drivers etc

what about this - i can change the cpu to a northwood one and find drivers for win98se and has Intel 845PE / ICH4 chipset aswell

link to manufactor website

https://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/ab49 … tm#specificatio

since this board has agp 4x slot - i am assuming that i could use agp 8x card in that slot - it just wont use all the bandwith

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 57 of 67, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:

yeah win98 doesn't what to do with more than one core or ht if am guessing right

IIRC you'll need to disable HT in the BIOS for W98SE.

It's such a funny build, trying to use W98SE. It's probably my favorite Windows, but it doesn't do anything that you can't do as easily or better with older & newer builds in one's collection. And when you do a 'late' 98SE build, the later games that hardware can run, will run /much better/ on XP. You run up against 98SE's relatively low RAM cap, and its crummy memory management.

[And it crashes. But it wouldn't be W98SE without that.]

Reply 58 of 67, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
IIRC you'll need to disable HT in the BIOS for W98SE. […]
Show full quote
Robhalfordfan wrote:

yeah win98 doesn't what to do with more than one core or ht if am guessing right

It's such a funny build, trying to use W98SE. It's probably my favorite Windows, but it doesn't do anything that you can't do as easily or better with older & newer builds in one's collection. And when you do a 'late' 98SE build, the later games that hardware can run, will run /much better/ on XP. You run up against 98SE's relatively low RAM cap, and its crummy memory management.

[And it crashes. But it wouldn't be W98SE without that.]

it is a funny build but i already have an xp build that more or less covers the 2000s

this is for games that is too slow to run on my dos/win95 build which is p200 mmx and too fast (cpu and/or gpu) to run on my xp build which is core 2 extreme at 3 ghz and it is also partly for nostalgia and mid/late 90s into early 2000s games that doesn't play/look correctly without modding the files etc (since a lot on old pc games i own are roughly from that time period)

if all that makes sense

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-11-27, 18:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 59 of 67, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pewpewpew wrote:
Robhalfordfan wrote:

It doesn't matter. Windows 98 can't address more than a single thread anyway. That is more of a problem in XP.