VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is case only if you don't use LBA48 patched ESDI_506.PDR. 128GB+ isn't a problem with variety of PCI RAID cards or any other thing that do not use the built in IDE driver of windows.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 21 of 23, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-12, 09:33:
tails wrote on 2019-10-17, 23:35:

I haven't been able to try any of the other suggestions yet but the mobo is an MSI 865PE Neo 2 and HDD is a 250GB split into in 3 partitions (111GB max) running on SATA.

Just for the record, since no one mentioned it so far: you can not use Win9x on hard disks larger than 128 GB! It doesn't matter if you make the partition smaller or not, it just won't work. Overflows will happen when Win9x addresses the sectors, randomly corrupting data. Get a smaller HDD if you want to install Win98.

Are you 100% positive on this? My 98SE machine has a 250gig drive (the 98se windows partition is 40gig) and has been running stable a long time.

Reply 22 of 23, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah -- I ran into this problem recently, too -- with Win95 OSR2. I had to skip ScanDisk, then it hung early in installation (copying the setup files or something, I think). It turned out to be because I used BeOS to partition the disk. I didn't look into what the difference actually was, but dropping the partition table and re-creating it with fdisk solved it for me as well.

Reply 23 of 23, by copper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to be getting this error because I have a 256GB sdcard in an IDE to SD adapter that apparently only supports LBA28 (up to 128GB). My BIOS supports LBA48, Windows 98SE is patched to support it, and my card (Samsung PRO Plus) all support it, but the adapter I got from Ebay does not.