VOGONS

First post, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So a while ago one of my contacts sent me some photos of available stuff, and there it was, the one that you don't know you're missing until you see it: a Socket 4 board! It was an Intel Hendrix in a very good state and I was excited as this would be my first contact with this platform. Unfortunately, no CPU on board so not much testing I could do.

Meanwhile I searched the 'net for a compatible CPU, and few days ago I found on Ebay for an ok-ish price a SX948 Pentium-60 together with its cooler and a defective Batman's Revenge motherboard. Stuff arrived to me recently and I was able to test my board. Things didn't go very smooth as I encountered the bug where you cannot enter Setup - board freezes when you try, and the display on the POST diagnostics card would show all gibberish (or maybe digits in a very rapid succession). Thinking it might have something to do with the depleted Dallas module I proceeded to mod it, adding a CR2032 battery on top of it. Still, the problem persisted, but seeing that the board would happily boot from a floppy I've connected a drive and it loaded MSDOS without a problem. Using the date and time commands returned some weird values, and changing these to some more earthly ones cured the board of the freezes when entering Setup. I managed to run some tests (under DOS), board seems perfectly OK.

Hendrix-1.jpg
Filename
Hendrix-1.jpg
File size
824.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now, the dead Batman is a whole another story, one of the most botched repair attempts I've seen. Seems like someone tried to unsolder the Dallas module using a propane blowtorch or something similar. On both sides of the board. There is widespread damage, not at all obvious on the photo. Both white SIMM slots are warped, some chips around the Dallas have "migrated" from their proper position and there is an area the size of a small coin where the PCB has swollen (de-laminated?) because of the heat. Amazingly, the board booted in this sorry state, although just once and the keyboard wasn't connected so I couldn't do anything. The very small movement when connecting the KB was enough to de-stabilize it and it never started again. (Photo taken after I unsoldered the work-of-art Dallas)

Batman-1.jpg
Filename
Batman-1.jpg
File size
763.42 KiB
Views
File license

Best part? The person that did this didn't even connect the battery properly on the "modded" Dallas (used pins 16 and 21 instead of 16 and 20) 🤣

Dallas.jpg
Filename
Dallas.jpg
File size
305.58 KiB
Views
File license

I don't think the Batman is beyond repair, but I don't know when I'll have the time to try and fix it, so my next project will be centered on the Pentium 60 - Intel Hendrix combo and this spawns a few questions:
First, is there a manual for this board / does it have an "official" name, because I suppose they weren't being sold as Hendrix, Batman and Joker back in the day (or...?). Stason page about this board is like 80% accurate, there are some unaccounted jumpers.
Second (but somehow more important than first), would it be possible to enable PS2 mouse support? There are solder pads for two mini-DIN connectors like on the Batman board, but it came from the factory with the 5-pin DIN soldered over them. I can't see any parts missing except for three SMD inductors, three capacitors and the connectors themselves, but I believe the BIOS must support this as well. There is a mouse option on the main Setup screen, but cannot be changed from "not installed". What would be the options? Hendrix seems to be such an uncommon board that I don't expect to find for it another BIOS with PS2 mouse support enabled; maybe take the chance and flash it with the Batman's BIOS?
Third, how bad is the CMD 640 IDE controller? Are there workarounds for its bugs, or another PCI IDE card is an absolute must?

Last edited by quicknick on 2019-10-17, 22:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

regarding the name and BIOS, this post should help: Re: Intel-built 486/Pentium/PPro/PII motherboard guide

from what i've heard the CMD 640 issues are patched out in win95 and later, at a minor performance cost.

Reply 2 of 7, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I followed the link. Archive.org doesn't have the files anymore, but at least I found out a filename (4378.pdf).
Found it here, but it's a different board. Riser instead of PCI/ISA slots. Also jumpers placed/labeled differently. So the search is still on 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

does it show the BIOS version at startup? if so you could try to find the name in this list: http://www.kva.kursk.ru/bios1/HTML1/intel.html

could be the 1.00.xx.BP0: Mercury one, as we already know the "hendrix" board is not a batman/batman's revenge (AF1/2) and all other socket 4 boards listed seem to have that low profile formfactor with riser.

Last edited by auron on 2019-10-17, 23:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BIOS Version 1.00.02.BL0

Forgot to take a picture or write down the longer BIOS string at the bottom of the screen, and now the motherboard is back in storage 😒

Reply 5 of 7, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh, it actually did list the "hendrixx" name in the list i posted, somehow missed that 🤣

according to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/intel … her/TEWDD-XK6u4 you already have the latest BIOS and it's an unsupported OEM board, hence why it was never listed on their website.

Reply 6 of 7, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I always thought the naming scheme was a bit confusing those days, and somehow this confirms it. But slowly starting to sort them in my mind, also with the help of this list.
No less confusing I find Intel's BIOS updates: I downloaded 1.00.06.BC0 for the Robin/LC that seems to have the same feature set (Cirrus Logic onboard VGA, CMD640 IDE), but looking inside the archive the BIOS is split into 2 images which add to less than 128KB. To spice things up, the Flash chip is soldered to the board and I don't feel like risking to flash another BIOS before backing up the current one.

If I manage to flash the Robin/LC BIOS without bricking the board and the PS2 mouse option is still unavailable, is there any way to edit/mod the BIOS to enable it, or does this require the AMIBCP variants that vanished from the face of earth / is this BIOS customized by Intel and thus un-moddable?

Reply 7 of 7, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this is just a guess but perhaps the PS/2 support works via autodetect? there's nothing in the manual to suggest otherwise and the manual for the later endeavour board even mentions autocorrection for misplugged keyboard/mouse connectors. so i would think that if you solder on all the components it should just work.

though if i'd absolutely require PS/2, personally i'd rather use something like this: Another PS/2 Mouse ISA (ISA8) card adapter