VOGONS

First post, by Galap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install windows 98SE on a Dell Dimension 3000. Since this hardware is a little newer than the 98 era, there are some difficulties involved in this (once I'm done, I'm planning to make a post about how to get past them, since figuring out how to do it wasn't succinctly collected in one place, and took quite a lot of searching for drivers and info), but I think it is worth it since these dell towers have pretty strong processors for the 98 era and are quite cheap.

There is one driver that I am looking for that I have not been able to find: this motherboard has an intel 865GV chipset, and while I've found the chipset driver, I haven't been able to find the windows 98 graphics driver for the onborad graphics. The correct one should be the Intel 82865G graphics controller for win9x, which has disappeared from their site and seemingly the rest of the internet. Does anyone have this driver? I'm probably going to get another graphics card going eventually, but for now I want to get the onboard graphics working. thanks a lot!

Last edited by Galap on 2019-10-24, 08:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just uploaded to my Google drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qzV0ewnJHPv … rJd6fuVzlPouBMH

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by Galap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, I don't think this is quite right. In the install screen, it doesn't list 865GV as a supported chipset, only 865G, IDK if it will work, but I don't want to fire it off and potentially cause myself trouble. Anyone have a version that supports 865GV?

Reply 4 of 6, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Galap wrote:

it doesn't list 865GV as a supported chipset, only 865G

The 865GV and 865G are basically the same chipset with the main difference being that the 865GV does not have AGP support. I am at least 99% sure the same VGA driver will work on both chipsets.

The same datasheet applies to both chipsets.

Attachments

• Filename
    82865G-datasheet.pdf
    File size
    3.71 MiB
    Downloads
    108 downloads
    File comment
    865G/GV datasheet
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 6, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have the 865G chipset in the PC I am using and the drivers seem to have worked, however, I run into issues when running DOS games from Win 98. The screen goes black in full screen. If I press alt + Enter, I go to windowed mode and Win 98 complains that I need to run in full screen, but I can then see a frozen image of the DOS program in windowed mode. Not sure your experience and wondering if this is working correctly for you.