VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have a strange issue with my sb16 ct2290 and sony cdu311 ide drive, cd audio works fine when running dos games under win95 and using the default drivers for the card, but after i reboot to dos, cd audio will only play on the left channel. the cable is plugged into the black input on the card. i use a simple dosstart.bat to load atapi_cd.sys via loadsys (2.27a i believe), alongside with mscdex. i even tried running that mixerset utility from 95dosapp.exe, didn't see anything odd there. what could be the cause of this?

Reply 1 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a mixer program for your SB? Usually it's called MIXERSET. Maybe the balance is shifted / left channel is muted specifically for CD audio?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 3, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

turns out the sony atapi_cd.sys driver i had grabbed from my 95b bootdisk was to blame, when i replace this with oakcdrom.sys from the net cd audio works fine in dos. could be a corrupted file or some incompatibility with this version of mscdex i also grabbed from the bootdisk, it says 2.25 even though it's claimed on the net that 2.96 is the newest version, included with win95.

also the ct2290 doesn't need any drivers in dos, normally you'd initialize it with diagnose.exe /s but when rebooting to dos it just keeps the config from win95.