VOGONS

First post, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i revive my old xp system i built in 2003:) asrock K7VM4 duron 1600 which i run @2000-2100mhz 2x 256mb sticks of 333mhz. And a ati x800pro <<<--- yea good bit of a bottleneck with the duron 🤣.. Sytem always ran on a mx420 back than and than was upgraded too a 9600xt.

Would there be a nice worth while difference going too the xp 3000 over the duron? Pretty much im using this system for xp era games. Doom 3 plays okish but Has a good bit of slowdowns which the x800pro played perfect in my amd 64bit machine back than.

The x800pro was in my amd64 build amd64 3000 1gb 400 ram x800pro and the board was a dfi 250gb lanparty which i have always loved 🤣 which i wanted to get up and going and use that instead which i had it running 2 years ago...

But when i power the 64 up 2 days ago which took multiple times to get fans and lights going it just wouldn't post.. Tried multiple psus still the issue.. took it out of the case still the issue than yep 6 caps in the vrm area was bloated and leaking.... Never was like that before when i last powered it on 🤣..

So i tried putting some caps on which was the same volts but they did have lower uf reading which i thought they should be better than the bloated ones at least and show me something different when powered on before i spend money on new caps. Push the power nothing this time than i pulled the atx 4pin out and tried it and it powers on but yea still no post.... So in the future will get the right caps for it i guess its still worth trying to fix it? Found all the caps on amazon for 18$ total.

Another thing that sucked is the solder i was using.. wouldn't stick right and turns brown and burns up.. So that could be the issue also. Need to get some leaded solder...

Now i did find a bad cap on the asrock board too.. But doeisnt seem too effect it but will solder one on that too.

Reply 1 of 2, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would there be a nice worth while difference going too the xp 3000 over the duron?

Not really. Everything that's horrible on overclocked Duron will still be horrible on XP 3000+. Unlike Celeron to Pentium performance gap, Duron is much closer to Athlon.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 2, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm yea that's what i was thinking. If i can snag one for super cheap i might go for it but in the meantime i think the duron will be fine for now:)

At least till i get my 64bit setup hopefully solved... Going to try my ddr 400 1gb sticks so a total of 2gb in the asrock later tho does not support the speed but should still work. sense 512 that it has in it i see that's a bottleneck so far for some games.

Now I do have a socket 939 system lanparty rdx200 mb 4gb of ram operton 165 and the board works up to a a d 4890 which i also have . does not boot with anything newer than that tho. Just not sure if that's really the right era for a xp system 🤣.. I mean it ran xp at first when i got it back than so it has no issues with it than i went to vista than windows 7 on it till it was retired in 2010. Has nothing wrong with it so i will think of what to do with it 🤣