VOGONS

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, yes, it's me again.

So I have this BX-6, which I covet for its 440BX chipset, as you all likely know. I recently moved it to a new case, but then it kept freezing on the memory check at boot. Turns out it was a modem card that I was just using to fill an empty slot, so I took it out.

Now I can't get it to POST properly. Upon resetting the CMOS, it boots defaults, but when changing settings in BIOS, I get problems.

It's a 450MHz Pentium III processor, but on default the BIOS reports it as 300Mhz. So I change that, and I set the IDE detection settings.

Once I do that, it simply refuses to POST. Blank screen.

I have resetted it tons of times, and tried to let it boot on just 300Mhz settings. It stops after the memory check reporting a CMOS settings error.

Help?

Reply 1 of 8, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gladders wrote:
Hello, yes, it's me again. […]
Show full quote

Hello, yes, it's me again.

So I have this BX-6, which I covet for its 440BX chipset, as you all likely know. I recently moved it to a new case, but then it kept freezing on the memory check at boot. Turns out it was a modem card that I was just using to fill an empty slot, so I took it out.

Now I can't get it to POST properly. Upon resetting the CMOS, it boots defaults, but when changing settings in BIOS, I get problems.

It's a 450MHz Pentium III processor, but on default the BIOS reports it as 300Mhz. So I change that, and I set the IDE detection settings.

Once I do that, it simply refuses to POST. Blank screen.

I have resetted it tons of times, and tried to let it boot on just 300Mhz settings. It stops after the memory check reporting a CMOS settings error.

Help?

Two things come to my mind:

1. Bad capacitors - they can explain almost ALL weird behavior
2. CMOS battery dead - if just on the threshold, it might produce weird results. For all it's worth, it is pretty easy and affordable to give it a try?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀