VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine (who is also a fellow VOGONer BTW), has CT1600 which is in very nice visual condition (no scratches etc, other than two dented caps which shouldn't cause the described problem). A
Unfortunatelly card is not detected by the system - like it's not there. We compared it against mine CT1600 which works fine (tested in the same machine, same jumper settings).
Up-close inspection didn't revealed any cold solder joints under the smd chips (it was a cause of similar behaviour in one of mine CT1350Bs - cold solder joints under the smaller intel chip).
Friend of mine suggested to test the ISA goldfingers with the multimeter on both cards to see if there are any differences, but I'm not sure about it (I think it will hardly prove anything and actually may cause some damage - correct me if I'm wrong).
I guess that better option would be to test the goldfingers against corresponding pins on the chips/chip (which one?) to see if there is continuity but without schematics it would be very time consuming...
Any other suggestions on how to test it (again - I have working CT1600 for possible comparison).

On the bright side - we managed to fix his GUS today (midi is not working, but I guess it's more of a software issue) - card wasn't detected in the system, but after burning GAL with code ripped from another GUS - it started working!

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would replace those two dented caps just in case they are leaking (voltage) inside, might be causing the chips they are protecting to not function quite right or have shorted. I would not think using a DVM to check the Gnds and + supplies to each chip would do much harm though you may want to check the DVM's volts in resistance mode (if over a few volts then no) and check the data and address lines... just a thought.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not an expert on sound cards, but if any sort of card isn't being detected by PC, then it simply can't communicate with the card's main chip. Now you have to figure the reason for that, which usually are as follows: missing/wrong voltages, cut traces, missing SMD parts, faulty bus logic, firmware related, broken crystal resonators (or faulty clock gen circuits), shunting to ground active parts, ESD damaged ICs etc.

Reply 3 of 4, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, if you mean that the cans has been deformed by "dented", I'd definitely begin with replacing those caps. It's very possible that the electrode foils are shorted.

Reply 4 of 4, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:

Yeah, if you mean that the cans has been deformed by "dented", I'd definitely begin with replacing those caps. It's very possible that the electrode foils are shorted.

Yeah, serious dents... the smaller one is located near the main chip, definitely not an amp cap.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg