VOGONS

First post, by bubish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just picked up a PS/1 on CraigsList with a 486sx 20MHz. And it cost me a grand total of free 😁
I had to drop a new CMOS battery in it, but otherwise it works great. I'd like to upgrade the CPU to a faster 486 (a DX2 66MHZ, if possible), but I have a couple questions on how to do it.
The board has the 487 socket on it, but the sx chip is also in a socket - rather than having to find an overdrive chip to work with the 487 socket, can I just swap the sx for a regular old dx2?
Also, I can't find any way to change the bus speed on this thing. There are no jumpers on the board, nor do I see anything in BIOS setup. Is the board stuck at 20MHz? If so, can I drop in a dx2 anyway and just run it at 40MHz?

Reply 1 of 8, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) I think that's slot 1 so you need a 5V processor, whatever you get.

BUT we could use the machine type number (like 2155, 2168, etc) from the sticker if it's there.

2) If you can find a "487", they're kind of rare, they're actually DX's that disable the SX you have installed, so that *is* an upgrade, though I'm not sure what limits you have on frequency (i.e. 20MHz, does it automatically switch to 25MHz if you put a DX2-50 or DX4-75 in there).

3) Aftermarket upgrades like the Evergreen 5x86, though faster than you were looking for, have been used successfully.

4) Here's a service manual for the PS/1: http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/aptiva/63g2028.pdf

5) Here's an article on PS/1 upgrades: http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/4886.htm

Disclaimer: Never even touched a PS/1, just looked a few things up. You can do an internet search for specifics (like "PS/1 487", "PS/1 Evergreen upgrade", or even "PS/1 CPU upgrade".

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 2 of 8, by bubish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good call on the model number - it's a 2155-G44. As for searching on processor upgrades, most of what I find relates to machines with the processor soldered in, whereas this one actually has it in a socket. I'd rather use the bog standard 486dx2 (5v, of course) if possible, since they seem cheaper and easier to come by than anything that'd work in the 487 socket.
After spending some more time digging around on Google, I'm thinking I'm going to have to swap out the oscillator by the processor with a faster one in order to increase the clock speed.

Reply 3 of 8, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bubish wrote:

Good call on the model number - it's a 2155-G44. As for searching on processor upgrades, most of what I find relates to machines with the processor soldered in, whereas this one actually has it in a socket. I'd rather use the bog standard 486dx2 (5v, of course) if possible, since they seem cheaper and easier to come by than anything that'd work in the 487 socket.
After spending some more time digging around on Google, I'm thinking I'm going to have to swap out the oscillator by the processor with a faster one in order to increase the clock speed.

If the money isn't a problem, you could always buy the parts and try it, and report back so we know how it worked!

If you already have a DX2-66, then yeah, at the very least you'd have to replace the clock crystal.

The only thing that makes me doubt that would be that all the 30-pin motherboards (I think yours would be a 30-pin memory board) were 20 and 25MHz procesors, the DX2-66 (33MHz bus) was a 72-pin motherboard.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 4 of 8, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Merovign wrote:
If the money isn't a problem, you could always buy the parts and try it, and report back so we know how it worked! […]
Show full quote
bubish wrote:

If the money isn't a problem, you could always buy the parts and try it, and report back so we know how it worked!

If you already have a DX2-66, then yeah, at the very least you'd have to replace the clock crystal.

The only thing that makes me doubt that would be that all the 30-pin motherboards (I think yours would be a 30-pin memory board) were 20 and 25MHz procesors, the DX2-66 (33MHz bus) was a 72-pin motherboard.

I have a PS/1 with 30 pin simm that have installed a 486DX33 (swap to a 486DX2 by me). so, 30 pin not means slower bus. IBM made a moltitude o combination of every computer they made, absolutely a nightmere.

Reply 5 of 8, by bubish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good to know that 30 pin SIMMs can work - thanks!
I think I'm gonna start with dropping in a dx2 and see if it will work underclocked. If it does, than I'll try swapping the oscillator. I wonder if that's something I can put in a socket for? Then I wouldn't have to keep de/resoldering the board if it doesn't work out.

Reply 7 of 8, by bubish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success!

At least partly. I picked up a dx2 66 of off eBay. I swapped the sx for the dx, set the jumper on the board to dx and... Nothing.
I tried the jumper back on sx and still nothing. Tried pulling the BIOS battery for a few minutes and still nothing.
I pulled the dx2 out, and was about to pop the sx back in when I figured I may as well give the dx2 a shot in the 487 socket and (with the jumper set back to dx), it booted up!
I haven't picked up a new clock crystal yet, so it's only running at 40MHz, but there was a noticeable improvement in both the benchmarks and the few minutes of Doom I tried.
The processor got rather hot, so I'll probably pick up a heatsink before long.
So next step for me will be to pick up a 66MHz crystal. Does anyone know what details other than pin layout and speed I need to look at when getting a new one? I tried searching the model number printed on the existing one (UC7-1A), but haven't had much luck. I'm attaching an image of the existing one, if that helps.

IMG_20191021_191918~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20191021_191918~2.jpg
File size
1.82 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 8, by bubish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I picked up a 66MHz oscillator from my local electronics supplier (shout out to Gateway Electronics!), soldered it in place of the 40MHz one, and nothing 🙁
There are no beep codes or anything. I pulled the RAM out in the hope that maybe the bus speed is just to fast for the existing RAM, but still no beep codes or anything.
I'm not sure where to go from here, to be honest. I don't know whether the issue lies with my solder job, the oscillator itself (wrong specs of damaged while soldering), or if there's something else on the board that needs to be changed as well.
I suppose I could put the 40MHz back in just to make sure I didn't wreck the board itself.