VOGONS

P3-450 or K6-2+ 450, which to use?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PIII or PII-450 in my eyes is kind of the definitive CPU for that platform. Sure, they made faster ones, but I think these were the most popular.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
precaud wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Whatever you finally decide upon, you'll probably be wanting more in the future.

I understand why you'd say that, but in this case, I won't. Once I transfer the 4-track analog masters and remix them, this unit will probably go back into the closet it came from...

lol, all my cases are stored in the closet, but that doesn't stop the belly from growing.

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-10-28, 03:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

The K6-2+ 450 has about the 3D accelerated gaming score (Quake 2) of a PII-300. Whatever you finally decide upon, you'll probably be wanting more in the future. I recommend building, both, a socket 7 and slot 1 system, and eventually, any other platform you have interest in. The largest obstacle for me is usually the case.

Funny. For me, it's usually the space.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 33, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
precaud wrote:

I wasn't aware that BIOSes set the vreg based on stepping codes.

Just to clarify, I don't think the BIOS has any involvement in this function.
The VID is a binary sequence of high/low voltage levels on a few pins (5 in this case) from the CPU. The CPU package is hardwired to set each of those pins to either a high or low state, forming the VID.
Those 5 signals are routed to the voltage regulator IC, which then outputs the corresponding voltage to power the Vcore rail. This should work even with no BIOS present.
BIOS support comes into play for setting up the software side of things like initializing registers or whatever (not sure exactly what it needs to do).

I don't know how the voltage regulation works on boards that support tweaking the voltage though. In those cases, I guess the BIOS is modifying a reference voltage somewhere to trick the regulator.

Reply 24 of 33, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
precaud wrote:

I'm thinking worse-case PCI use here will be while recording four channels of audio at once from two PCI soundcards with SPDIF inputs, and spooling it out to a wide SCSI hard drive through a 2940UW.

Hope you have a way to synchronize those word clocks. 😀

Reply 25 of 33, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

Hope you have a way to synchronize those word clocks. 😀

One problem at a time... 😀

Compared to the sound degradation of the LM741-based mixer I originally used, such issues are trivial!

Reply 26 of 33, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why a K6-2+ instead of a K6-3+? A K6-2+ is just a K6-3+ with half the cache, and they should not be too far off, price-wise. I got mine for about 10 USD not too long ago to upgrade my Cobalt Qube 3 Pro...

Reply 28 of 33, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote:
There is one BIOS dated february 2000 available on Driverguide (see below) oooooooooooooooooooo Vectra VE 6/xxx Series 8 HT.01.0 […]
Show full quote

There is one BIOS dated february 2000 available on Driverguide (see below)
oooooooooooooooooooo
Vectra VE 6/xxx Series 8
HT.01.08 Bios
February 4th 2000

https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … Pmtiv69GCIYreVj

I just checked, and that's the BIOS that is installed in this board.

Reply 29 of 33, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And more good news - the Coppermine 667 in a slocket set to 1.8V boots, ID's as "Unknown" running at 500MHz, and works fine.
EDIT - it benchmarks very slow, though, so something is amiss.
EDIT 2 - I see why now. Since it doesn't recognize the cpu, it disables the 256k cache. Or doesn't enable it. There's nothing inthe BIOS settings to change that.

So Coppermine is not compatible with this board.

Last edited by precaud on 2019-10-29, 01:09. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 30 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why, AMD of course!

Intel is so mainstream. K6-2+ is kind of niche. Also it's very overclock-able.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 31 of 33, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
precaud wrote:
And more good news - the Coppermine 667 in a slocket set to 1.8V boots, ID's as "Unknown" running at 500MHz, and works fine. EDI […]
Show full quote

And more good news - the Coppermine 667 in a slocket set to 1.8V boots, ID's as "Unknown" running at 500MHz, and works fine.
EDIT - it benchmarks very slow, though, so something is amiss.
EDIT 2 - I see why now. Since it doesn't recognize the cpu, it disables the 256k cache. Or doesn't enable it. There's nothing inthe BIOS settings to change that.

So Coppermine is not compatible with this board.

At least it's letting you boot. I wonder if there's a utility that can initialize the CPU properly. Anybody know?