VOGONS

First post, by thrawn235

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I have a really strange Problem with my Radeon 9800pro in conjunction with win98se.
The driver itself only gives me two options for resolutions 640x480 and 1280x1024.
Depending on the driver (ive tried several), widows either gives me an error when i try to choose any other resoltion or it changes it, but then i have that wiered scrolling effect. I only see a for example 800x600px area of the desktop, and if i move the mouse to the border it scrolls around.
Games don't change the resolution either.
I have tried Half life and Starcraft. both work but only une a small area of the screen (when i'm in 1280 mode)

Do you guys know whats going on there ? do i need a path for windows or a specific driver version.
Any help is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 5, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In addition to the list of resolutions supported by the driver, there is a list of resolutions supported by the monitor. For a resolution to be usable, the resolution must be in both lists. Have you tried using an older monitor?

Reply 2 of 5, by thrawn235

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is actually an older CRT Monitor. I've used it with an even older Dos only PC (its connected to a KVM switch).
It can do all kinds of resolutions on the Dos one.

It seems like win98 detects it correctly. The device manager shows the correct name. so it must be able to read the EDID Data.
Is there a way to see what resolution the monitor reports as beeing capable of ?

Reply 3 of 5, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thrawn235 wrote:

Is there a way to see what resolution the monitor reports as beeing capable of ?

My SIV utility has the Menu->Machine->Graphics panel which should do this and on this system I get as below.

file.php?id=70875

Attachments

• RED.png
    Filename
    RED.png
    File size
    64.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Menu->Machine->Graphics
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 5, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thrawn235 wrote:

Any other ideas ?

From display properties/screen resolution if you select Advanced there should be a List All Modes, what does that list?

I don't have a 98SE system booted so I can't be precise about what to look at.