VOGONS

First post, by RetroSpector78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have a couple of old Compaq machines where the compaq bios / setup program is located on a hidden partition on the hard drive.
What is the best way to create an exact "backup" or "mirror" of this harddrive, including not only the data but also the hidden partitions.
And how could I restore such a "backup" or "mirror" onto another hard drive (with the same size or bigger size).

I know in Linux you can do a copy using dd and copy an entire medium (sd card for example) byte by byte into an image file, and then re-write that back onto another medium

Would that be an option for an old hard drive ?

My requirements :

1. Extract an image file from the hard drive containing everything (files / partition info / .....). That image file can then be stored somewhere (on my NAS).
2. Be able to restore that image file to the same hard drive (or perhaps another hard drive, probably larger in size).

I don't know to what extend the last one is possible given the differences in geometry of the source and target hard drive.
For example, if you have a source hard drive with Heads X , Cyiinders Y, Sectors Z, can you "trick" a computer to think that the target hardrive (perhaps with Heads A , Cylinders B and Sectors C) is in fact a hard drive with (Heads X , Cyiinders Y, Sectors Z) or is that not possible / not needed ?

Reply 1 of 1, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a Linux computer that still have a IDE port, then sure this could be a viable option. By the way I know under Linux you can do this from the "Disks" applet, because dd can be destructive (and belive me, I learned it the hard way...)

Or else, if the hard drive is new enough to support LBA, get one of these IDE to USB converters and use HDDRawCopy, this should be sufficient.

So when you restore the image of the previous disk, I think dd will restore it to the new drive, even if it is larger than the original drive, same thing for HDDRawCopy. You'll just have to expand the partitions on the new drive afterwards.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]