VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I showed last week, I got tons of stuff : Bought these (retro) hardware today

So now in this topic I'll give you some update about the testing I made, the boards/HDDs/video cards I managed to revive (everything is bought as "Untested" and some of the things clearly can't work anymore, at least not with some repair)

So here are some boards I tinkered with :

Zida 4DPS (Aka Tomato)
BBwMYm4l.jpg

DataExpert 8049 MISSING BIOS, and I can't find it anywhere on the internet. If you have it, PLEASE upload it 🙁
zR6GaZhl.jpg?1

Octek Hippo 15
XfHVQ7ml.jpg?1

Shuttle HOT433
ZREfBrMl.jpg?1

DFI K6XV3+
DPAI1Vjl.jpg

Now they look quite nasty, don't they ?

Let's clean them !!

mQy2qgCl.jpg
3o0miMel.jpg
vYy3dPVl.jpg
iPCvfxXl.jpg
0w0MkZKl.jpg

Aaaahhh much better !!

Well now let's summarize. Before the clean, the tomato board was the only one to POST, the HOT 433 didn't work and the other were untested.

After the clean ... well it was the same ... But I noticed something odd with the HOT 433. First, the board definitely had some life left as my POST card did show, but its RTC chip was gone (someone clipped it off I believe). So I removed the pins that were left in the mobo, I installed a socket, put a new DALLAS chip ... and boom the board works 😁

Now I have some hope for the DataExpert as it also shows some code in my POST card meaning something's happening, but like I said, I can't find its BIOS rom on the internet, so until I find it, this board will remain dead ...

Now this leaves me the DFI super socket 7 board and the Octek board ... The octek board was super nasty and after the clean, its slots feel quite crusty ... getting the POST card properly connected to that board is quite hard. I sprayed some contact cleaner. It helped but it's not adequate. But at some point I got a POST code, so it may be possible to revive it as well, but I need to treat the corrosion inside every single slots including the socket ...
And the DFI don't want to turn on at all. And if I force it by shorting the PSU's pins, the board displays "C1" on the POST card and it beeps, makes a pause, beeps, makes a pause, and repeats that pattern forever. There's definitely a problem with some of the logic of that board somewhere that prevents it from starting when I short the proper pins, but I have no idea what circuit does that ...

I also tinkered with some boards and some HDDs. I'll bump this topic another time for these ^^. Just to tease you, most slot 1 mobos don't give any POST codes. Two have visible flaws : one is the ABIT bh6 which has a chip with a crater ; may be fixable if that's the failure and not a symptom of a greater problem, and the other one is a MSI one with bad caps) and all 386s are working or giving signs of life, but two have battery leakage that need to be treated asap and two have bad tantalum caps with some that blew up in front of me (now I'm scared to turn them on 🤣).

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really nice work and am jealous of the big haul of goodies !

Deksor wrote:

The octek board was super nasty and after the clean, its slots feel quite crusty ... getting the POST card properly connected to that board is quite hard. I sprayed some contact cleaner. It helped but it's not adequate. But at some point I got a POST code, so it may be possible to revive it as well, but I need to treat the corrosion inside every single slots including the socket ....

I have a Protek 286-12 that looked like that, was so dusty and gummy that it took many bottles of 99% ISO alc to get it clean enough to at least beep at me. Good luck and let us know how you cleaned the cpu socket if you do get it to at least beep.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I've discovered something that might have flawed some of my testing. It seems that my testing AT PSU has some issues with its connector. This may be a reason why the HOT433 didn't work at first actually and why the hippo15 didn't work either. My POST card displays the voltages on it and I saw that some light didn't turn on at some point. I thought that the hippo 15 was just doing that because it was crusty but the HOT433 (which I got to work) did that too, and some of my other boards too, and by moving the AT connector a little it changes.

I've used this PSU countless times so it's not that surprising. I'll clean its connector and maybe swap it once I'm back next week.

Now in case you missed it, if any of you have a dataexpert 8049, please send me a copy of its bios rom 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DataExpert stuff is a royal pain in the posterior. I was stuck with my DataExpert Opti-495SX-2VL until I tried a generic MRBIOS for that chipset. Worked for me, but unfortunately there's no MRBIOS available (at least here) for your ALi chipset.

What you could do is look for any BIOS for any board with the same ALi chipset and try that. It might work completely, it might work partially. Worst-case you're no worse off than you are now.

Reply 4 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's pretty much what I've tried, but no luck, the board acts the same with and without the BIOS.

Reply 5 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you're missing more than BIOS...

exp8049.gif

That second socket next to the BIOS needs an 8042 keyboard controller.

As for a BIOS... digging deep I found a 128kB/1Mb BIOS at archive.org for the MSI MS-4134, with the same ALi M1439/1445 chipset. It might be worth a shot:
https://web.archive.org/web/20011119012908/ht … _files/AL57.EXE

Edit:
Scratch that - it's M1429/1435, not M1439/1445 🙁

Edit again:
MSI was a fruitful avenue, the MS-4143 does have M1439/1445. Here are two (!) BIOSes to choose from:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020602233252/ht … p?model=MS-4143

Reply 6 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I tested that msi bios but I might be wrong. I know it's missing the kbc but it should do something even without it if the bios is correct, right ? Anyways thanks for the help, I'll try that next week ^^

Reply 7 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd always be careful with assumptions about behaviour with known bad configurations. If everything is right, it should work. If not, not.

I'm not sure what behaviour should be expected with missing keyboard controller, but I've had boards refuse to do anything at all (even start POST) with various bits and pieces that sounds optional missing. Definitely worth trying a 8042 or clone.

Reply 8 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're right, I'll do that, but I expected it to do at least something on the bus with my POST card 😒

Reply 10 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey ! I'm back again 😁

And I have some good news !

So I tested the AWARD bios from MSI on my DataExpert motherboard ... and after fiddling with the RAM, I got a POST !! ... and then it crashed when attempting to boot ... Well let's try the AMI bios instead ? Success !! I can now use that motherboard, thanks dionb !

@imi, you like that zida ? Me too ! Well let me introduce you another small motherboard :
UFm6ju5l.jpg

A PCChips M396F ! It may be PCChips, but it's a 386SX platform, so it's tough to scam people with fake chips on a 386SX platform, so this board is ok. However as you can see, the battery has started to leak ... The first time I tried this board, it worked with no issue, after a while I couldn't use the keyboard anymore and now I can't get it to POST at all !!

Well, let's put some vinegar ... There are few traces that are a bit damaged, but nothing is cut ... I hope the problem isn't bigger than I expected ...

Apparently not ! After cleaning it with vinegar, the board is working again and I can use the keyboard again too ! Well this was actually simpler than I expected 🤣.

Reply 11 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

Hey ! I'm back again 😁

And I have some good news !

So I tested the AWARD bios from MSI on my DataExpert motherboard ... and after fiddling with the RAM, I got a POST !! ... and then it crashed when attempting to boot ... Well let's try the AMI bios instead ? Success !! I can now use that motherboard, thanks dionb !

😀

Did you need to add the 8042 keyboard controller, or would it work without one? Looks like some later 486 boards were so generic they came with silkscreen or even sockets for components required by different chipsets to the one actually implemented. I also have one "lacking" 8042 that works fine as the UMC chipset has integrated keyb controller.

Reply 12 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I added it anyways, maybe it's not required, but I'll check that later.

I agree, if you take a look at the HOT433 you'll see that it has no KBC, but since it has a UMC chipset it's not required as it's integrated.

Reply 13 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got some new boards working !

This nice 286 (unknown manufacturer but "G2-12HS-16 1.0" is written underneath) with a Headland HT12/A chipset :
OuDyy6Kl.jpg

This opti 386 (unknown manufacturer too, there's "KMA-300G-25" written on it but I can't find anything with that 😒 ) :
ksI6zPjl.jpg
I got this board right at time, the battery leaked quite badly on that one and the populated RAM slots are corroded. Thankfully no traces are cut (but I might still remove these RAM slots just to make sure everything's ok there and to clean them)

This GMB-486SG rev 2.2 motherboard :
j9Q7JHXl.jpg
(this one had a bad trace preventing the keyboard from working. This is now patched and it works flawlessly 😁)
I also have a rev 1.1 board which has only 2 72pin simms (and 4 30 pin simms) and no VRM, but that one doesn't work (the corrosion on that one is more important. Maybe this can be fixed).

I also have good news concerning the Octek Hippo 15 ! I managed to get some POST codes and beeps 😁
Like I guessed, the CPU socket is really crusty (and the AT connector too actually. I'm going to clean it the best I can and maybe replace it). The motherboard must be crashing though as I can't get past the POST code "C5". I managed to get it in that state by putting the CPU halfway in the socket, locking the socket, and then pushing the CPU all the way down which must have the effect to scrub the connectors in the socket a little. This is still very finnicky and stops working the moment I move the mobo, but this is a good sign 😁

Hopefully this board WILL live !!
If the socket is totally dead, I might just steall the socket from another dead mobo 🤣 (I grabbed a PCChips M919 which doesn't seem to work at all despite being in a great visual condition, and pcchips boards are actually great donnor boards because it's quite easy to desolder stuff from them).

I also gave a shot at this unknown XT board :
t37rSIVl.jpg

but nothing happened. According to my POST card, the reset line is stuck. I think it's missing a chip actually (a NEC D8255AC-2).

To summarize, I have now 7 working motherboards out of 29-ish with 4 486, a ti486, a 386DX and a 286. I also have great hopes for two identical 386SX-16 motherboard, but they have bad tantalum caps that need to be treated first (two already exploded and I don't want to burn my house 🤣). Also, if I manage to fix the GMB-486SG rev 1.1 and the Octek motherboard, every 486 (except the PCChips) motherboards will be saved 😁. I managed to get some socket 5/7 boards to POST as well, but they're not my main goal yet. And finally, I got two slot 1 motherboards to POST.

I'm still disappointed that the Super Socket 7 DFI board doesn't work though 🙁 I hoped the pcchips super socket 7 would work, but it's dead too :'( (but maybe a good cleaning would revive it ?? this board is quite nasty as well, as nasty as the XT motherboard at least)

Reply 14 of 25, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:
I also gave a shot at this unknown XT board : http://i.imgur.com/t37rSIVl.jpg […]
Show full quote

I also gave a shot at this unknown XT board :
t37rSIVl.jpg

but nothing happened. According to my POST card, the reset line is stuck. I think it's missing a chip actually (a NEC D8255AC-2).

Looks an awful lot like a generic DTK motherboard. I've seen a couple people with these on here now - it looks like it's similar to or based on the DTK Turbo 640, though seem to have a different style for the setup switches. It also looks like your DRAM type jumpers are actually hardwired instead. Hell of a cost saving measure.

The two empty large DIP sockets at the top are for an Intel 8087-2 and an NEC 8255AC-2. The DRAM sockets at the bottom are probably for 4164s only, since the board can only handle 640K and the first two banks are 41256s.

Also, what BIOS do you have? I'd love a dump if you can get around to it.

Reply 15 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure I can dump that, but last time I tried with my other turbo XT, I couldn't find the ROM type at all (it was a generic Phoenix bios chip with no indication of which kind of chip this was ...). Hopefully this one is simpler. Anyways, I'd like to revive this board first if it's still possible.

I believe the NEC8255AC-2 is required. I'll buy one soon if they're still available.

Reply 16 of 25, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably a 2764 EPROM. The sockets only accept 2764 and 27128 types, so it can't be that hard to determine. You've got a 50/50 shot at guessing.

Also, if you can get it to boot, you should be able to use some program to dump it without removing it from it's socket.

The 8255 is an I/O controller, so it's almost certainly required for proper operation.

Reply 17 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some bad news 🙁

The m396f isn't fixed afterall
x1G82nAl.jpg
But I can't find any bad trace here even though there must be one somewhere ...

Here's a close look of the area :

p6Lcztal.jpg

SDzaTEul.jpg

I've also tried another kbc, but no luck 🙁

I know this board works and it mustn't be that big of a deal because it worked at first, and then it started to not work.

Reply 18 of 25, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
Got some new boards working ! […]
Show full quote

Got some new boards working !

This nice 286 (unknown manufacturer but "G2-12HS-16 1.0" is written underneath) with a Headland HT12/A chipset :
OuDyy6Kl.jpg

Would you dump BIOS for me?

I have two motherboards like this (I fixed them last weekend) - both work, but they have AMI BIOS, and I prefer Quadtel... I guess it's just some generic HT/12 Quadtel BIOS, but who knows...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 19 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's already available there :p 80286 BIOS image collection
Predator99 also added a phoenix bios for this board, so you could also add your Ami bios to get the full "bios pool" for this board 😀
Anyways, if anybody has an idea of what trace could be bad to cause this kbc issue please let me know ^^