VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Badscrew wrote:

This also can be a 32 GB limit, some of the boards were limited to that. If your hard disk has jumpers for 32GB mode, worth trying that. If this indeed is working, you'll only loose a 1/4 of the drive space which is not that bad.
On my W98 machine I'm using a 80 GB drive in 32 GB mode, loosing more than a half... I'm going to try it with a SD to IDE adapter and a 32 GB SD card soon.

Indeed this is most likely the infamous award bios bug (because yes it is a bug) that crashes when a HDD bigger than 32gb is detected. However you can solve it by patching the BIOS. If you image your bios for me I can attempt to patch it ^^ (and no need for a eeprom writer either, you can do that with the motherboard).

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21 of 29, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
Badscrew wrote:

This also can be a 32 GB limit, some of the boards were limited to that. If your hard disk has jumpers for 32GB mode, worth trying that. If this indeed is working, you'll only loose a 1/4 of the drive space which is not that bad.
On my W98 machine I'm using a 80 GB drive in 32 GB mode, loosing more than a half... I'm going to try it with a SD to IDE adapter and a 32 GB SD card soon.

Indeed this is most likely the infamous award bios bug (because yes it is a bug) that crashes when a HDD bigger than 32gb is detected. However you can solve it by patching the BIOS. If you image your bios for me I can attempt to patch it ^^ (and no need for a eeprom writer either, you can do that with the motherboard).

I would like that very much. It would be nice to have that work with my original BIOS, especially since after using this other PC Chips BIOS I've actually had noticeably worse performance with games like GTA 1 and it also doesn't quite match the hardware listing features the mobo doesn't have. Here's the dump of the BIOS I made with UNIFLASH:
https://mega.nz/#!Op0XmDjK!USkQlRTO1pOyxyHJOY … Tax8obhaV2Y45mg

Reply 22 of 29, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would like to add that overlay software a la EZ-Drive will only work if the drive type is set to normal or auto, and the HDD is detected. It doesn't have to be "correctly detected", as in: The C/H/S values could be anything really, but the computer has to be able to at least boot with the HDD (or any card substitute) in place in order for the overlay to kick in and take over the geometry translation.

Reply 23 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There it is !

Filename
1997BIOS.zip
File size
113.35 KiB
Downloads
45 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I can't guarantee 100% that it'll work (that's what the patcher I'm using tells me), but I've tried it once on a slot 1 mobo and I didn't have any issues.

Here are the logs from the patcher itself :

BIOS Patcher ver. 4.23.
Attention! Advanced qualification is required!

Found 1Mbit BIOS!

1. New CPU Support : -> fixed.
2. P3-detect error : is not needed to be fixed.
3. New Koeffs Support : -> fixed.
4. 32Gb-problem : -> fixed.
5. Some HDD detect-problem : -> fixed.
6. "MB"/"GB" string search : -> fixed.
7. 65Gb-problem (1-st step) : -> fixed.
8. 65Gb-problem (2-nd step) : -> fixed.
9. Error display Freq>999MHz : is not needed to be fixed.
10.Error display Koefs>9.5x : not found.
11.New Stepping Support : is not needed to be fixed.
12.Tualatin L2-init error : not found.
13.New Freq in Setup open : not found.

14.Set "Y" as default on exit: -> fixed.

Write Allocate addinng: -> fixed.
UDMA for "big"-HDD on UDMA33_only_MB fix: -> fixed.

CBROM V2.07 (C)Award Software 2000 All Rights Reserved.
Adding modul.tmp 30.0%
Adding start.tmp 87.5%

if you can`t see all messages - choose 80x50 mode or run with ">report.txt".
(c)2002-2003 apple_rom, www.ROM.by

Here's the patcher I've used by the way. It comes from http://www.ROM.by but since it's a little difficult to find, I made a .zip file containing all the required files.

Filename
biosmod.zip
File size
119.91 KiB
Downloads
74 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 24 of 29, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:
There it is ! […]
Show full quote

There it is !

1997BIOS.zip

I can't guarantee 100% that it'll work (that's what the patcher I'm using tells me), but I've tried it once on a slot 1 mobo and I didn't have any issues.

Here are the logs from the patcher itself :

BIOS Patcher ver. 4.23.
Attention! Advanced qualification is required!

Found 1Mbit BIOS!

1. New CPU Support : -> fixed.
2. P3-detect error : is not needed to be fixed.
3. New Koeffs Support : -> fixed.
4. 32Gb-problem : -> fixed.
5. Some HDD detect-problem : -> fixed.
6. "MB"/"GB" string search : -> fixed.
7. 65Gb-problem (1-st step) : -> fixed.
8. 65Gb-problem (2-nd step) : -> fixed.
9. Error display Freq>999MHz : is not needed to be fixed.
10.Error display Koefs>9.5x : not found.
11.New Stepping Support : is not needed to be fixed.
12.Tualatin L2-init error : not found.
13.New Freq in Setup open : not found.

14.Set "Y" as default on exit: -> fixed.

Write Allocate addinng: -> fixed.
UDMA for "big"-HDD on UDMA33_only_MB fix: -> fixed.

Adding modul.tmp 30.0%
Adding start.tmp 87.5%

if you can`t see all messages - choose 80x50 mode or run with ">report.txt".
(c)2002-2003 apple_rom, www.ROM.by

Here's the patcher I've used by the way. It comes from http://www.ROM.by but since it's a little difficult to find, I made a .zip file containing all the required files.

biosmod.zip

Awesome, it worked! Performance is great, too, unlike the other BIOS I tried. Thank you so much for doing this for me. 😀

Reply 27 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Accoring to your BIOS' POST string and this website https://web.archive.org/web/20190127170901/ww … HTML1/xpro.html, you have a PCChips M537DMA33 which should be slightly different form the photo.

The latest BIOS for it is from 1998 and should still have the bug (but now you have the patcher to do the job :p) but it's newer than the current one you have ^^.

(Checkout this website, there's some cool infos concerning driver support 😁)

Reply 28 of 29, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2019-11-04, 22:14:

Accoring to your BIOS' POST string and this website https://web.archive.org/web/20190127170901/ww … HTML1/xpro.html, you have a PCChips M537DMA33 which should be slightly different form the photo.

The latest BIOS for it is from 1998 and should still have the bug (but now you have the patcher to do the job :p) but it's newer than the current one you have ^^.

(Checkout this website, there's some cool infos concerning driver support 😁)

Sorry for necroposting, but where to get the latest bios?

Reply 29 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would say here https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcchip … dma33#downloads