VOGONS

Fast Ethernet on ISA

Topic actions

First post, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I wanted to know how actually fast are those "100 Mbps" NICs for ISA...

Client machine:
* Celeron 266
* typical ISA/PCI/AGP board
* ISA NIC: 3Com Fast EtherLink ISA (3C515-TX)
* PCI NIC: Davicom 9102
* "LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS" in CMOS SETUP
* Linux Knoppix 5.0.1CD

Server machine:
typical modern Core i5 box, running modern Linux, with FTP server

I wanted to measure TCP and UDP throughput using ttcp or nuttcp, but couldn't get any of them to work on both sides: ttcp does compile on modern Linux, but then often exhibits "Segmentation fault", while nuttcp fails to compile on that ancient Knoppix.

So I had to settle on FTP...
In order to prevent the slow HDD on the Client machine from affecting the results, the procedure was the following:
Server -> Client: wget -O /dev/null ftp://...
Client -> Server: put /proc/kcore

ISA NIC results:

Server -> Client: 1.43..1.47 MB/s
Client -> Server: 1411 KB/s

PCI NIC results:

Server -> Client: 10.94..11.05 MB/s
Client -> Server: 10138 KB/s

Well...
I didn't expect the ISA NIC to even approach 100 Mbps, but I didn't expect it to be this slow, either - it's not even 15 Mbps!
The machine is pretty fast by ISA standards, and fast enough to come close to the theoretical limit of Fast Ethernet: 100 Mbps = 12.5 MB/s, and considering the overhead of IP+TCP+FTP, it has to be somewhat less, about 11 MB/s is perfectly OK.

Am I missing something?
If you have a Fast Ethernet NIC for ISA, try it yourself!

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 1 of 24, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently did a benchmark of both throughput and CPU load of 10MbE NICs under old Knoppix using iperf, which was available on my Knoppix (iirc also 5) and also saw disastrous results for most ISA NICs, with most NICs able to send a P3-500 to 100% load trying to push through a paltry 8Mbps. Tellingly there was no difference with designs supporting DMA or shared memory. My strong suspicion is that Linux drivers for ISA nics are woefully primitive and just using the most basic - and CPU-intensive - IO possible. The one exception, 3C509, seened to underscore that point: despite being an unremarkable design, it vastly outperformed the rest in terms of CPU usage without less throughput. That driver obviously does work...

My guess it that it's your CPU limiting performance here. To check that, run top in another window while doing your speedtest. If I'm right it should shoot past 97%. If so, performance in another OS with better drivers might be (far) better.

Reply 2 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't forget that ISA on newer systems (past 486) is slower. This can be easily shown by using an ISA video card on a newer than 486 system that has ISA slots.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have three different brands of 100 mbit ISA ethernet cards - 3com (same as yours), Intel, and IBM. The IBM one uses the Intel chipset, but with its own drivers (Intel drivers won't work on it). In practice, I have found 100 mbit ISA cards to be roughly 2-3x faster than 10 mbit ISA cards, but nowhere near the 100mbit limit. It was enough of a difference for me to upgrade all machines that use ISA ethernet with 100 mbit cards.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

My guess it that it's your CPU limiting performance here. To check that, run top in another window while doing your speedtest. If I'm right it should shoot past 97%. If so, performance in another OS with better drivers might be (far) better.

There may be something to it.
During transfer, top shows about 85% CPU in "hi" (servicing hardware interrupts), and only about 2% "id" (idle).

However, if there's something wrong with Linux here, Windows is even worse - I just tried it with Windows 98SE, with Win32 port of wget (wget -O nul ftp://...), and it only achieves about 1.33 MB/s.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 6 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

In practice, I have found 100 mbit ISA cards to be roughly 2-3x faster than 10 mbit ISA cards, but nowhere near the 100mbit limit. It was enough of a difference for me to upgrade all machines that use ISA ethernet with 100 mbit cards.

Any details?
I mean, what CPU, what OS, and how was the speed measured?

Reply 7 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Can you run the same tests with a 10 mbit 3Com Etherlink III?

Yes, in a few days, when I'm done experimenting with 3C515, I can replace it with a 3C509B...

Reply 8 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I have three different brands of 100 mbit ISA ethernet cards - 3com (same as yours), Intel, and IBM. The IBM one uses the Intel chipset, but with its own drivers (Intel drivers won't work on it). In practice, I have found 100 mbit ISA cards to be roughly 2-3x faster than 10 mbit ISA cards, but nowhere near the 100mbit limit. It was enough of a difference for me to upgrade all machines that use ISA ethernet with 100 mbit cards.

That tracks given the normally quoted three tick cycle time for 16 bit transfers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, replaced the 3C515 with a regular 10 Mbps Ethernet NIC:
3Com EtherLink III (3C509B-Combo), using RJ-45 port

Linux:

Server -> Client: 891 KB/s
Client -> Server: 917 KB/s
CPU usage during download: 35% hardware interrupts, 45% idle

Windows:

Server -> Client: 1002 KB/s

Conclusion:
100 Mbps is faster than 10 Mbps, even on ISA - but in my case the speedup was only about 50%

Reply 10 of 24, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about the speed. But you can avoid the FTP by using netcat. Something like:

On one end:

nc -l 8888 > /dev/null

on the other side:

dd if=/proc/kcore bs=1000 count=1000 | nc <ip> 8888

Then you can experiment with block size

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 11 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only 50% faster. Hmm... Its possible that I used an underpowered computer for the 10 mbit and a much faster computer for the 100 mbit. I'd have to run these tests again.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Random fact:
3C509B doesn't use DMA, 3C515 does

I suspect DMA may help a lot in certain configurations...

Reply 13 of 24, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote:

Random fact:
3C509B doesn't use DMA, 3C515 does

I suspect DMA may help a lot in certain configurations...

You are right. I confirmed on the pcb for 3c509b. I wonder how they got the CPU usage down when running 3c509b? Optimized driver?

Reply 14 of 24, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wasn't this card designed around/for windows NT environments? I have one of these cards in front of me and i'm curious now.

Also with late isa cards like this, I find its very helpful to assign it all the irq/dma requirements in the BIOS. Dont let the OS use PNP. Linux might do it better, and i'm sure one of you is waiting for an opportunity to tell me, but I've had much better success with a manual assignment.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 24, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1.4MB/sec looks pretty close to what ISA IDE cards get for data throughput. BIOS disk routines use a REP INSW instruction to read sectors from the IDE port. Maybe network drivers are also using this. I imagine that ISA DMA using the 8237 wouldn't be any better, since the DMA controller was spec'ed at half the ISA clock in the AT.

Judging by the performance achieved by ISA video cards, a memory window that could be read using REP MOVSW would probably be somewhat faster. I wonder if any ethernet cards use such a setup. I recall reading that an IDE interface for 8-bit machines or the PC Jr. or something used memory-mapped, mirrored registers to get better performance on 8088s that lack INSW.

Now I am also wondering if pre-allocating a space in write-back cache on 486 systems for the destination memory area (by reading it ahead of time) would make ISA I/O go faster by getting the bus cycles closer together.

How about overclocking the ISA bus? (usually makes sound cards unhappy though)

Reply 17 of 24, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I run an 3C509B at 13.3MHz and no wait states very happily in one of my 486 machine, and on another 386 machine a slightly newer version that has Parallel Tasking written on the chip at 16MHz.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 18 of 24, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simple DMA is actually slower than PIO. What these cards need is Bus Master DMA. As we know ISA Bus master is a kind of black magic.

I'd check if it is enabled. Run the config tool for the card in DOS and make sure it is on and there is DMA channel set. Looking into 3C515.c source code, it looks like the bus master mode can be forced by module option.

In general as far as early ISA cards in Linux, the bus master is known to be the most reliable with DEC 21040 or AMD Lance chipset.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 19 of 24, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakemono wrote:

Judging by the performance achieved by ISA video cards, a memory window that could be read using REP MOVSW would probably be somewhat faster. I wonder if any ethernet cards use such a setup.

Yes, there are such cards, eg. 3C507
But not 3C509B nor 3C515 - they only use memory address space for Boot ROM.

mpe wrote:

Simple DMA is actually slower than PIO. What these cards need is Bus Master DMA. As we know ISA Bus master is a kind of black magic.
I'd check if it is enabled. Run the config tool for the card in DOS and make sure it is on and there is DMA channel set. Looking into 3C515.c source code, it looks like the bus master mode can be forced by module option.

So I did some more tests...

modprobe 3c515 options=7 (media type autoselect):

wget: 1.45 MB/s
put: 1413 KB/s

modprobe 3c515 options=15 (media type autoselect, full duplex):

wget: 1.55 MB/s
put: 1418 KB/s

modprobe 3c515 options=23 (media type autoselect, bus mastering):

fails to work!

modprobe 3c515 options=31 (media type autoselect, full duplex, bus mastering):

fails to work!

So, two important conclusions:
* even though the card claims to support NWay, it doesn't run in Full Duplex by default, and it's a good idea to enable FD
* bus mastering on ISA is black magic indeed, and this computer obviously isn't magical, it's even mentioned in the docs that "Some computers do not fully support bus mastering...", along with instructions how to disable bus mastering with NDIS and ODI drivers

I think I'm done with testing 3C515 on this machine.
I'm going to give it another try when I have a machine this card was actually intended for, ie. some pre-PCI 486...