VOGONS

First post, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have noticed that enabling the "486XX Internal Cache Status" for TI 486DLC 40MHz increases the 3DBench score but makes Speedsys to crash 😕

Attachments

• 486DLC-2.jpg
    Filename
    486DLC-2.jpg
    File size
    169.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 486DLC-1.jpg
    Filename
    486DLC-1.jpg
    File size
    472.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have exactly the same problem with one motherboard (M-321) while other MB is fine (MS-3131) when 486dlc is used. Both boards work 100% correctly with 386dx.

I didn't notice other problems, but speedsys was unusable... 🙁

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were some compatibility problems with some Cyrix 486DLC & motherboard combinations.
Alternatively, try enabling the Cyrix L1 cache via the Cyrix utility as opposed to using the motherboard BIOS - https://www.philscomputerlab.com/cyrix-486dlc.html

Reply 3 of 11, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

I have exactly the same problem with one motherboard (M-321) while other MB is fine (MS-3131) when 486dlc is used. Both boards work 100% correctly with 386dx.

Does MS-3131 work fine while running speedsys? are you sure that L1 is enabled?

Reply 4 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The reason this is happening is because your cache is not configured correctly. You need to make sure your cache is coherent, either by using the FLUSH# method (hardware) or the BARB method (software). The FLUSH# method is more efficient, but sometimes the boards lack the circuitry to make it happen. However, you can modify boards to add it. The easier way is the BARB method, but you need to make sure your board supports hidden refresh.
I suggest using 3rd party cyrix.exe. In order for BARB to work, you need to specify a memory exclusion range for cacheable areas. Cyrix.exe is case sensitive and has odd syntax, so you have to use it with care.

Try this in your autoexec.bat: (exactly as written)

cyrix.exe -e -b -m- -xA000,128 -xC000,256

I had the same issues as you guys and this fixed it. I had much less success with the FLUSH# method, even on boards already wired for it.

Register settings for various CPUs

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 11, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RiP wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Yes. All fine, everything enabled.

I did play around with cyrix utility on M-321, but i didn't exactly try to disable anything. On the contrary, i tried to enable various things to make it work, but couldn't make it this way.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 6 of 11, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:
RiP wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Yes. All fine, everything enabled.

I did play around with cyrix utility on M-321, but i didn't exactly try to disable anything. On the contrary, i tried to enable various things to make it work, but couldn't make it this way.

Did you enable the internal cache from BIOS or with the utility?

My motherboard is MB-4D50L

Reply 7 of 11, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@RiP, both. I kept it enabled in bios and i played around with utility enabling everything i could.

To be honest, i think i even had Windows 95 successfully working well on it even when the speedsys wasn't able to run. I concluded speedsys being not compatible with this cpu+mb combination. But maybe there's something that can be done? 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

@RiP, both. I kept it enabled in bios and i played around with utility enabling everything i could.

To be honest, i think i even had Windows 95 successfully working well on it even when the speedsys wasn't able to run. I concluded speedsys being not compatible with this cpu+mb combination. But maybe there's something that can be done? 😀

I think you're right. It's speedsys that isn't fully compatible with 486DLC.
It doesn't detect the clock speed correctly or even the 1KB internal cache:

l5F4amSl.jpg

Reply 9 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my opinion, the graphics corruption you're seeing is the classic sign that the cache is not configured correctly. Things may appear to be working well until you try to do some kind of DMA related activity, and then it'll all come crashing down. I've spent countless numbers of hours trying to get the DLC working correctly in my SCSI based systems, and I've seen the exact same speedsys problems you're having. It only happens when the cache is not setup properly. Speedsys may not detect the DLC properly, but it should still work.

Also, I think it's better to leave the Cyrix cache setting disabled in the BIOS, and enable it with the utility. I've had a lot of boards with DLC support, and the BIOS cache enable never works properly for me.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 11, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to bump this thread, but as i played around a bit, i found some information.

The MS-3131 board i have, that worked well with the Cx486DLC-40 CPU, just accidentally had it working well. When i used the command line utility to remove all disabled regions of caching, i got similar speedsys graphics error, as i did with my M-321 board. When i disabled the video ram area from caching, everything went back to normal.
I assume (Haven't tried on my M-321) that this video ram caching makes it incompatible with speedsys.

Right now, with MS-3131 board, i execute the cyrix.exe file like this:
cyrix.exe -f -m -xA000,64

No other regions needed exclusion for all phil's dos benchmarks to work properly.

NB: For fun, i also used AMISETUP to improve some mobo-cache timings and other things like that. I get 25,21MB/s memory bandwidth, 21,08 cpu score with speedsys.