VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote:
konc wrote:

I always thought "period-correctness" means more "mainstream during that period" than "elite latest model but could be bought if you're a millionaire"

I feel the opposite of that
period correct to me simply means that the components existed at that moment in time

I agree but amend "existed" that to "being made" at that moment in time.

The manufacture dates on parts is more important to fit the year as than if it was the top of the line and just released that year but the part you have is made 2 years later IMHO. If you want a true period correct then it should have parts from that same year. Much like when restoring an old car or pickup you use parts from that same year when at all possible.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21 of 28, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a good question for everyone.

Why is the length of a period only 1 year or less than 1 year. Also if a period is only 1 year or less than a year, can periods exist between years? I am going just going to answer that for you, periods are not 1 year or less than 1 year, a period defines technological leaps in advancement. There is no major CPU technological advancement between 1999 and 2000. There are also no major platform or chip-set advancements. Pentium 4s didn't become a thing until 2001, even tho you might read the paper launched them in 2000 no one was using Pentium 4 until 2001. That being said early Pentium 4s were out performed by Pentium 3s and tualatins.

An example of a CPU technological period of advancement is going from Pentium 3 to Pentium 4. This is a major architectural design change. Going from a Pentium 600 to a Pentium 800 amounts to a 200 mhz bump which amounts to high overclock improvements only and no platform change.

Id consider periods broken down like this.

Conro/core 2

2006 --------->

Pentium M

2003-2005

P4

2001-2006

PIII Era
1999- 2001

PII Era
1997-1999

P6
1996-1997

P5 Era
1995-1997

Pentium 1
1993-1995

Reply 22 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would call each of those a Generation, not a Period, in time. What happens with core, core2 and then the i3, i5, i7 series which each covered nearly decade. Are each of those still in the same time period even though many tech changes came within each of those generations?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 28, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote:

I would call each of those a Generation, not a Period, in time. What happens with core, core2 and then the i3, i5, i7 series which each covered nearly decade. Are each of those still in the same time period even though many tech changes came within each of those generations?

It's a argument over semantics really but id say Generations are further apart than periods also but a generation normally is 30 years, but in technology terms id say a generation is more like the difference between windows or dos gaming platforms.

Those are like generations
windows 10 gaming
Windows 7 Gaming
windows XP gaming.
windows 98 gaming
Dos Gaming

For CPU Theres not major Architectural changes between Pentium Pro to lets say Pentium M. They are all I686. Pentium 4 is i786 netburst. And core2duos are closer architecturally to a Pentium II than they are to a Pentium 4.

I3-5-7 are somewhere like a cross between AMD K8 the original Opterons and Athalon 64s and I686. where the memory controller was moved off the north bridge and onto the CPU die itself.

Motherboards Id say the major architectural changes were going from

ISA/VLB boards _____>>>>> ISA/PCI _______> ISA/PCI/AGP _________> PCI/and PCIE with north bridge________> PCIE no north bridge This is like 5 generations. But there can be a couple periods per generation.

The first I7s like the ones that ran on X58 were actually not massively faster than the top of the line Core 2 platforms like skull trail at the time running dual Xeon and I think i remember in some cases not faster.. So even if those are major architectural changes id still consider both of those the same period and not a generational leap.

Reply 24 of 28, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:
Id consider periods broken down like this. […]
Show full quote

Id consider periods broken down like this.

Conro/core 2

2006 --------->

Pentium M

2003-2005

P4

2001-2006

PIII Era
1999- 2001

PII Era
1997-1999

P6
1996-1997

P5 Era
1995-1997

Pentium 1
1993-1995

Where's the Pentium D in that list? I feel personally attacked and overlooked at the same time. 😁

Reply 25 of 28, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Period-correctness, and this hobby at large, is mostly emotionally driven (nostalgia) and that's something personal to everyone - you're going to find plenty of contradictions and irrational behaviours like people shelling out for another PC133 DIMM just cause it has a 99 datecode on it 😊
Everyone's free to adhere to their own definition of 'period-correct'. To an outsider we're all equally wrong.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 28 of 28, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:
It's a argument over semantics really but id say Generations are further apart than periods also but a generation normally is 30 […]
Show full quote

It's a argument over semantics really but id say Generations are further apart than periods also but a generation normally is 30 years, but in technology terms id say a generation is more like the difference between windows or dos gaming platforms.
Those are like generations
windows 10 gaming
Windows 7 Gaming
windows XP gaming.
windows 98 gaming
Dos Gaming

For CPU Theres not major Architectural changes between Pentium Pro to lets say Pentium M. They are all I686. Pentium 4 is i786 netburst. And core2duos are closer architecturally to a Pentium II than they are to a Pentium 4.

Ok, makes sense.

Big Pink wrote:

Period-correctness, and this hobby at large, is mostly emotionally driven (nostalgia) and that's something personal to everyone - you're going to find plenty of contradictions and irrational behaviours like people shelling out for another PC133 DIMM just cause it has a 99 datecode on it 😊
Everyone's free to adhere to their own definition of 'period-correct'. To an outsider we're all equally wrong.

Hahaaa, I have spent $$ on a replacement vid card just because it was exactly the same model and build year as a dead one from and old 486 Leading Tech that I was restoring. Except for a couple of times am not as period anal as I previously posted about 🤣