VOGONS

First post, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I purchased this Packard bell Legend from FB marketplace last night, I know I know, don't give me money or matches or vintage computers...

anyways the system is extremely clean inside and out, and overall mostly seems to work. "mostly"

486SX2 50mhz, 4mb ram, 428mb hard drive

AMpA93Bm.jpg
025QY2um.jpg
25bgIDkm.jpg
tyRUJ0Em.jpg
6JMtcmFl.jpg

yup, the barrel battery leaked 😒

what I mean by "mostly" is the floppy drives.

the system will boot from the hard drive into dos, CD rom drive works (connected to the sound card)

but neither floppy drive works, I've tried different known working drives, different cable, and even an ISA I/O card (with the onboard i/o disabled by jumper)

the drives refuse to boot, and under dos the cursor will just blink, and activity LED will turn on, the drive will eventually give up, the LED will go out, but the system just sits there with the blinking cursor.

my only guess is some of the traces on the board (3 that I can visually see) have been damaged that have something to do with the floppy control logic, and they have to be repaired.

if anyone has any advice, or has been there, or has had experience with these systems I would appreciate hearing about it.

my life runs on X86

Reply 2 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nicely done, congratulations 😀

I'm about to start a similar repair on another Abit AN4 board, but this one is in far better condition than my first one. The first one I did looks a bit horrific where I tried to re-do so many of the corroded bits of solder.