VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
When using Pent.1 MMX should I use 2.7V or 2.9V jumper selection for core voltage ?
- There is simply no 2.8V selection which is suggested voltage.

P5I430VX/250 Explorer I.

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Qdi%20- … ls/430vxe13.pdf

Reply 1 of 7, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use 2.7 and see if it is stable.

If it's not (which I doubt), just use 2.9, as it's still within safe limits.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested one of my 233MMX and it would run fine even at low 2.2V. So just use 2.7V or even lower if you won't overclock. It will run cooler.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which MMX CPU exactly? Some of the later PPGA (black&metal case) versions were hugely overengineered and could run at 300MHz at stock voltage (2.8V) or be underclocked to 2.2V (as kixs did) at stock speeds. The earlier CPGA versions could be pickier, but even there 2.7V should easily work.

To generate that one hour full load, use SuperPI, it's uniquely sensitive to errors from overclocking/undervolting. If SuperPI works, pretty much anything else will too.

Reply 5 of 7, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

P1 200MHz MMX= "SL27J".
Upgrade to ceramic P1 120Mhz. Took 2h to install Win98SE with it and I had industrial CF-card and all max.RAM in it for fast speed. So I bought a better CPU.

Reply 6 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
user33331 wrote:

P1 200MHz MMX= "SL27J".
Upgrade to ceramic P1 120Mhz. Took 2h to install Win98SE with it and I had industrial CF-card and all max.RAM in it for fast speed. So I bought a better CPU.

That's one of the good PPGA CPUs.

Intel spec:

VID Voltage Range 2.7V-2.9V

So 2.7V is actually within official spec. No reason whatsoever to go for 2.9V.

Reply 7 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Some of the later PPGA (black&metal case) versions were hugely overengineered and could run at 300MHz at stock voltage (2.8V) or be underclocked to 2.2V (as kixs did) at stock speeds. The earlier CPGA versions could be pickier, but even there 2.7V should easily work.

From what I recall, the CPGA and PPGA versions of the PMMX were available at the same time, neither being older or newer than the other. It always confused me why intel offered the chip in two packages, and my only conclusion is they must have had a lot of leftover CPGA packages from the classic Pentium line they wanted to get rid of.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium