VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So if I have a motherboard where I can set the multiplier to say as high as 6x (via DIP Switches), yet I put in a CPU that has a locked multiplier (so the switches are ignored) of 10x, what will the motherboard see? Will it go up to 10x, or only go up to 6x?

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

10x. But the board might or might not accept it and may also display wrong CPU speed/name at POST

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 5, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaverX wrote:

It won't go above 6x. Depending on the motherboard it will be 6x or a safe value (minimum value, probably). Or some other value, again, it depends on the motherboard.

Thus is wrong. Put a 10x multiplier slot 1 cpu in a max 6x mp motherboard and the cpu will run at 10x (or refuse to boot as the mobo blocks unknown cpus.) It wont fall back to some safe value but usually just run. That the bios most likely wont correctly identify the cpu that might be another issue.

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not all slot 1 CPUs were multiplier locked, but for those that were, this is correct.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder