VOGONS

Late 90's hardware, is it worth it?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NOTE: To check if your motherboard is compatable with Intel Coppermine CPUs, please check first if there is a blue sticker with the letter "C" located on the I / O chip. If it is present, that means your system will support Intel Coppermine CPUs.

The Winbond I / O chip is located near the Serial Port.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en& … 163&prev=search

If it does than you should be able to upgrade to 600hmz PIII w/ 100 MHZ FSB with the right BIOS. This is a pretty impressive upgrade over your current CPU.

Reply 21 of 22, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I checked, and is not compatible with Coppermine, but that's okay since Coppermine is too new. The Motherboard is an MSI-6163 Ver.1, I ended up buying the hardware and is pretty nice. I might post about it later... It has no floppy, because it doesn't work and I don't know why. Is an MMX/Pentium II 400mHz.

Reply 22 of 22, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another good cheap option for upgrading that video card, if you decide to upgrade it, is an nvidia Quadro2 MXR. I have one in my Pentium II, 300 MHZ rig and it works great. It is basically a slightly overclocked GeForce2 MX400. Can be had for around $10. The Quadro workstation cards are very stable and do have headroom for overclocking as well.