VOGONS

Reply 160 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed that there are two versions of the system configuration utility (SCU), but the one with the later version number has an earlier date. So which is the latest one? They are from SCU.PDI for version 3.03 and from SCU14.EXE for version 1.4.

Item Number: 	ZDSFIUP00520100
Title: Z-Server WL SCU v3.03 Ovl 1.06
Version: 3.03
Entry Date: 25-Sep-1996
Operating System:
Description: Z-Server WL SCU v3.03 Ovl 1.06
Installation Notes: Pdi file, use the mcpy program to create the disk.
Technical Notes: To Use with bios 1.00.10.WL006
Download: Disk 1: scu.pdi size: 1040632, date: 25/09/96 15:03:00
Item Number: 	ZDSFIUP01170100
Title: Z-Server WL SCU 1.4
Version: 1.4
Entry Date: 05-Feb-1998
Operating System:
Description: Z-Server WL SCU 1.4
Installation Notes:
Technical Notes:
Download: Disk 1: scu14.exe size: 578457, date: 05/02/98 12:31:00

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 161 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suspect the v3.03 refers to the version of the bundled configuration files (Ovl) rather than to the version of the SCU itself. As I've mentioned previously, matching the bios & SCU levels is the 'ideal' scenario but the fact is that it's quite possible for an older SCU to work with a newer bios. As you've already updated the bios to 1.00.14 WL014, I'd just stick with the newer v1.4 SCU.

Reply 162 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stuck with v1.4, but also tried v3.03, which appears to function as well. I didn't notice any consumer-visible difference between the two revisions.

Reply 163 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-01-07, 23:49:

Maybe LOL. I popped it off the front of my cdr, from back side just tapped it with a screwdriver in the slot and on the peg.
BTW: The Adaptec BIOS version on my board is 1.24 which only supports up to 8.4Gb drive size. Have tried a few BIOS editors to see if I can replace it with 1.34 which support to 127Gb but no luck yet.

Did you try it in Windows to see if the OS recognises more than 8 GB?

Reply 164 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2020-01-12, 03:42:

Your board completely died after trying a hard drive on the 40-pin pads? But isn't there an option in the BIOS for IDE hard drives? I've temporarily put my case back in the closet so I can't check now - I found a leak on the roof and am going nuts with buckets.

All I did was clean out the solder holes so I could put in a 40pin header, never finished and did not connect an IDE drive. The spare board last few bootups would hang after mem count (and if hit reset would just flash a cursor top left indefinately), before that it seemed sluggish compared to the other board. Will check voltages, reset BIOS, remove cache, etc later when I have time.

feipoa wrote on 2020-01-12, 21:46:

Did you try it in Windows to see if the OS recognises more than 8 GB?

Yes ! and it does. What I did was FDISK and format a 18Gb scsi on the boards controller, it made a 8.4Gb C partition formatted using Win98se bootdisk. Then used a newer 2940UW (BIOS 1.34) and made a second partition D of the rest of drive, formatted with same bootdisk. Put drive back on boards controller and installed Win98SE. From Windows it sees and works with both partitions, wrote bunch files to D without issue, no corruption. From a DOS 7 boot can only see C drive and FDISK errors in "Display Partitions" (due to partition table being re-written while using the later SCSI BIOS with diff Int13 handling). So all good as long as you create just a 8Gb primary with SCSI BIOS 1.24

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 165 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like the 40-pin IDE header may still work.

I also tested a stand-alone PCI 2940UW with BIOS 1.34.3 and it does translate beyond 8 GB. It is unfortunate the SCSI BIOS on the Proserva wasn't updated. If going to use a PCI SCSI card, though, just as well use an Ultra2. EDIT: There is also a newer BIOS v2.20 for the 2940UW on the Adaptec website, https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/downloads … aha-2940uw.html

I have a 486 board which uses an AHA-2842VL SCSI card and it too can only translate up to 8 GB w/FDISK. I set it up such that w95 is 4 GB, NT4 is 4 GB, and remaining 60 GB is a FAT32 partition used for applications in Windows 95 and NT4.

I had hoped to install w98, nt4, and W2K on the Proserva, but the operating system files for each OS would need to reside within the first 8 GB, which means each partition can only be 2675 MB. This will be quite limiting. I don't like the idea of using a PCI SCSI card, as it would be wasteful of the onboard SCSI and to some extent ruin the authentic nature of the system.

I suppose I could use three hard drives, which would allow for 8 GB per OS. This is easiest done with a single SCSI2SD device, but it is limited to only 10 MB/s so the 40 MB/s Ultra Wide SCSI adapter would be under utilised. I don't have 3 spare SCSI drives, and even if I did, the noise of 3 drives would be too much for me.

How are you circumventing this delima?

Reply 166 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My plan is to use Win98se and maybe Win2k, just two OS. Probably with two 18Gb or one 18 and one 36Gb and some sort of boot menu to pick the boot drive.
I still will try to merge v1.34 bios into the NEC bios. I read about v2.20 but do not think it adds much I need to v1.34 unless you have some specific drives (Smart (self-monitoring, analysis, and reporting technology), Smart cable detection, CAM-3 support). CAM is more for Unix based systems afaik. Also do not want to try and up the bios beyond what the chipset may be able to handle.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 167 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No NT4? But NT4 was likely the target OS for this system; not using it removes some of the authenticity.

So you plan to use two HDDs, with each OS having 8 GB plus a second 8 GB partition?

I personally don't know how to merge the Adaptec BIOS update into the Proserva BIOS. Don't you need some software for this which recalculates the checksum once you've merged it, otherwise you'd get checksum errors when trying to run it?

Reply 168 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@feipoa, as far as the authenticity of the system goes re SCSI, although touting the OB SCSI as a plus, both Zenith & NEC were more than happy to supply upgrades - Zenith planned their own Z-RAID SCSI controller from the outset, later offering both the 2940UW and PCI UW SCSI-3 RAID as options, and NEC would appear to have been supplying the Mylex DAC960 range as an upgrade option. Also, when the Z-Server WL was introduced they had no 4 & 9GB UW drives to qualify for use.

Reply 169 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I started a post on VCForum to see if anyone is willing to assist with patching the BIOS. http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?731 … 2642#post602642

Otherwise, I think I'm going to create 4 partitions:

Win98se: FAT32: 2675 MB
WinNT4: NTFS: 2675 MB
W2K: NTFS: 2675 MB
and
Program Files: FAT32: 24 GB
with 3 primary folders for Win98, NT4, and W2K. FAT32 for NT4 installed.

Or make the 4th partition an extended partition with 3 logical drives, each drive for program files of the respective Win98, NT4, and W2K.

Reply 170 of 394, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2020-01-13, 02:59:

I had hoped to install w98, nt4, and W2K on the Proserva, but the operating system files for each OS would need to reside within the first 8 GB, which means each partition can only be 2675 MB. This will be quite limiting. I don't like the idea of using a PCI SCSI card, as it would be wasteful of the onboard SCSI and to some extent ruin the authentic nature of the system.

You should be alright, somewhat.
What I used to do

Primary partition: Fat16 if duel booting NT4 otherwise Fat32, Win98, 2GB
Extended partition, logical disk 1: Fat32, Data drive, As much space as possible
Extended partition, logical disk 2: NTSF, 2GB for NT4 or 4GB for Win2k

NT4 I needed to create a disk to get around the 8GB barrier, Win2k should be fine out of the box.

Update, after typing this I was looking for the NT4 disk and think it only affects IDE? Anyway if you go down to "Support for large IDE-disks" you'll see what I'm on about
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/nt4tips.htm

I totally agree with not using the onboard scsi seems a waste, even if it makes sense on many levels it just feels wrong

Reply 171 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're saying that I can have all w2k operating system files stored after the 8 GB mark? So I do something like 4GB (nt4), 4GB (w9x), 26GB (w2k)?

Reply 172 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-10, 13:56:

the advance logic is a pretty good card, the OPL3 clone is one of the few that sounds really good

But, unfortunately, it requires two IRQ's. Tried setting both to IRQ 5, but it did not like that. Also, the Proserva doesn't appear release IRQ 14 when the onboard IDE is disabled. The need for two IRQ's is also documented in the literature:

ALS100_two_IRQs.jpg
Filename
ALS100_two_IRQs.jpg
File size
193.09 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 173 of 394, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2020-01-14, 21:10:

You're saying that I can have all w2k operating system files stored after the 8 GB mark? So I do something like 4GB (nt4), 4GB (w9x), 26GB (w2k)?

Win2k Definitely.
NT4 maybe as your using SCSI, but I haven't tested this.

Reply 174 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK. I'll test for this, but I'm pretty sure NT4 must reside within the first 4 or 8 GB, even if int13 translates the full HDD size. Seems I've run into this issue before, but it remained unresolved. How to boot DOS partitions which reside beyond the 8 GB barrier

Anyone know if the XM-5401 CD-ROM drive that the Proserva comes with is able to properly read CD-R discs? Or could my drive's laser be going bad? I have a CD-R copy of my original W2K upgrade CD and have been trying to install W2K but keep getting read errors. I put the original Microsoft CD into the drive and stopped getting the read errors.

Reply 175 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That CDRom is an old Toshiba 4x with limited capability. I swapped in a Panasonic 8x newer one (man dated 1996) that can read cdr disks.
I should mention that the Tosh that came in mine is same model and man date is also 1996.
added: I have some Plextor 6x man dated 1995 so not sure why NEC/Zenith choose slower cdroms for their builds other than certified for whatever OS they were running....

Reply 176 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you are saying that the Toshiba XM-5401 cannot read CD-R discs? I'm wondering if my laser is bad or if the drive cannot read this type of media.

I three other SCSI CD-ROM drives, but the shade of beige on all of these do not match the NEC bezel colour to within my acceptance limits. Best I can do is a modern SATA DVD-RW drive, an LG GSA-H62N from 2007. The bezel matches very well to the NEC. I have an ACARD optical adapter I can use on this to convert the SATA to SCSI, but its pretty far out from being period correct.

Another option is to solder on the IDE header and use an IDE CD-ROM drive.

chinny22 wrote on 2020-01-14, 22:45:
feipoa wrote on 2020-01-14, 21:10:

Win2k Definitely.
NT4 maybe as your using SCSI, but I haven't tested this.

I can confirm that W2K doesn't need to reside with in the int13 limits to boot properly.

Reply 177 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably cost as much as anything else played a factor, especially when none of your target market segment are doing any better in such a relatively minor spec area. I guess if any other drives on the market at that time did CD-R it wasn't considered relevant.

http://files.mpoli.fi/drivers_1/HD2/toshiba/prss5401.txt

ZDS Z-Server WL Target Market.png
Filename
ZDS Z-Server WL Target Market.png
File size
104.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 178 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the drive is able to read some of the CD-R disc, which is why I was wondering if just my laser is failing.

In other news, I installed W2K with SP4. Device Manager shows the system is a Multiprocessor PC, but Task Manager and System Information only show one CPU! I wonder if one of my CPUs is dead. Unfortunately, my spare P200 is with sspec SY045, while the Proserva has two SY044, so I probably shouldn't mix sspec chips to test chips.

Alternately, can this board use one CPU with the second slot empty, or is a terminator needed in the socket?

Any other ideas what might be going on here?

Also shown in the screenshot is that it doesn't appear as if the Advance Logic ALS100 has W2K built-in drivers. I was able to find Win 3.1/w95 drivers on Vogons drivers, not not NT4/5. Anyone have NT4/W2K drivers for ALS100?

Proserva_W2K_Screenshot.png
Filename
Proserva_W2K_Screenshot.png
File size
71.39 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by feipoa on 2020-01-15, 05:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 179 of 394, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ALS100 Win2k driver, cannot verify it works but you can try it...

Attachments

• Filename
    ALS100_W2k.zip
    File size
    43.94 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception