VOGONS

First post, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, hoping someone can help with this 8433UUD issue. Visually the board seems fine, but I can't get any beeps or video out of it. So far I've tried removing the cache, externally flashing feipoa's BIOS that I found on vogonsdrivers, and also tried removing the RTC. I know the DX33 works, as does the FPM ram and ISA video card. Here are some pics. I believe I have the jumpers set correctly.

Any ideas? Would be a shame to have this board go to waste 🙁

Attachments

• xHGVRGO.jpg
    Filename
    xHGVRGO.jpg
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • SpxC0EN.jpg
    Filename
    SpxC0EN.jpg
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • qaH7C7G.jpg
    Filename
    qaH7C7G.jpg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IEIjT8T.jpg
    Filename
    IEIjT8T.jpg
    File size
    1.17 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 3tCwwpA.jpg
    Filename
    3tCwwpA.jpg
    File size
    670.13 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A POST card would come handy. Have you tried to move the RAM from slots to slots ? Also did you try other sticks (are you sure it's truely FPM and not EDO since they look exactly the same)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 18, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

A POST card would come handy. Have you tried to move the RAM from slots to slots ? Also did you try other sticks (are you sure it's truely FPM and not EDO since they look exactly the same)

Thank you for the response. Yes I'm sure it's FPM as it works with other boards that don't support EDO. I've just ordered a POST card from Amazon, should arrive tomorrow.

Reply 3 of 18, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd quadruple check the CPU jumpers and cache jumpers.
Any chance you can try a different CPU?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 4 of 18, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:

I'd quadruple check the CPU jumpers and cache jumpers.
Any chance you can try a different CPU?

Tried two other CPUs - no dice 🙁 Some questions..

1. What jumper settings should I use for no cache?

2. Does this board require an RTC to boot? The socket is just empty right now.

3. What BIOS is recommended for v3.1? At the moment I have the last official one flashed.

The POST card arrived this morning, but just shows ————

Attachments

Last edited by airs on 2019-11-07, 17:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 18, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the BIOS chip inserted the right way (notch on the socket meets the notch on the chip)? Could be a bad trace somewhere or the RTC Dallas needs to be replaced/scraped a bit to add a CR2032 battery holder on top.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 6 of 18, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Is the BIOS chip inserted the right way (notch on the socket meets the notch on the chip)? Could be a bad trace somewhere or the RTC Dallas needs to be replaced/scraped a bit to add a CR2032 battery holder on top.

Yes, I have it inserted the correct way. Double checked.

Reply 7 of 18, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
airs wrote:

Most certainly. I've never encountered a board that would boot without the RTC.

Reply 8 of 18, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quicknick wrote:
airs wrote:

Most certainly. I've never encountered a board that would boot without the RTC.

Thank you - I've just ordered a DS12887A+ from DigiKey.

Reply 11 of 18, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One voltage seems low according to the status LEDs. Maybe you can investigate on that ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 18, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that pin next to CB17 on the chipset on top of the empty cache slots looks a bit funny, is it bent, bridged or just a angle of picture?

Reply 13 of 18, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote:

that pin next to CB17 on the chipset on top of the empty cache slots looks a bit funny, is it bent, bridged or just a angle of picture?

Yeah, I think there are bent legs and a short on the UM8886BF chip and the UM8881F chip. Try using a thin blade to carefully bend them apart and hope there is no break.

8-11-2019 11-21-03.png
Filename
8-11-2019 11-21-03.png
File size
452 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
8-11-2019 11-19-47.png
Filename
8-11-2019 11-19-47.png
File size
390.06 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

1982 to 2001

Reply 14 of 18, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Yeah, I think there are bent legs and a short on the UM8886BF chip and the UM8881F chip. Try using a thin blade to carefully ben […]
Show full quote
treeman wrote:

Yeah, I think there are bent legs and a short on the UM8886BF chip and the UM8881F chip. Try using a thin blade to carefully bend them apart and hope there is no break.

8-11-2019 11-21-03.png
8-11-2019 11-19-47.png

Thanks for pointing those out! I've fixed the two bridges but unfortunately no change in the board's behavior. The new Dallas RTC should arrive tomorrow - hopefully that does the trick.

Does anyone know which BIOS I should be using for this version of the board?

Reply 15 of 18, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since u had some bridges go over the whole board looking for inconsistencies like this, there maybe more.

It would be nice to locate a pinout for the chips that were bridged see what pins were touching, hopefuly not your vcc in bridged and shorted a chip

a burnt chipset would def prevent the boot.

A quick way to see if your chipsets are shorted is power it on and keep touching both chips if one or both get excessively hot this is a bad sign.

apart from that you could check some or the pins with a multimeter on the chipset if they don't get hot and show bo obvious signs.

I have 2 of these boards, my one does boot with a low charge rtc however it won't boot with no rtc/dead rtc fingers crossed when u get new rtc it will live

Reply 16 of 18, by airs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the new RTC arrived - no change in behavior 🙁

Used my multimeter to check that the socket is getting 3.45v and it is.

Also - another, working 8433UUD arrived. I swapped the CPU, BIOS, and memory from it to the non working board and duplicated the jumper settings - no change. About to give up on this board. Only thing I’m unsure about is the cache jumpers - what should they be set to if I have no cache installed? Or does it not matter?

Reply 17 of 18, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

cache matters, it won't boot misconfigured, you need to consult the manual for this. I always could not find the configuration for no cache chips. Can you move the chips from the other board temporarily over just to test?

Apart from this first we eliminate what works, bios we can move/test on the other board, rtc is new.
cpu ram video card work too.

From here Power delivery is next, psu works/tested I assume.

Next is measuring voltages on the power plug. After voltages check out check continuity on the power lines, start at the power plug and trace them as far back and use voltmeter on continuity mode to confirm they all are connected.

Check violate on isa, pci slots (find pinout on Google check for the main voltages)

Next check cpu socket, turn on the board for a few minutes see if the cpu is getting warm means getting power. You can also boot with no cpu and check power pins under the socket for correct voltages (google for socket pinout)

I think cache is a good thing to start with here because it won't boot if no chips but configured for cache or tag chip is not there

Reply 18 of 18, by Overload1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the board has a setting in the BIOS to disable the external cache then the board will normally boot with the external cache disabled. The external cache will be enabled after POST if it is enabled in the BIOS. Remove the tag ram from the working board and see if it will POST.

If the CPU is getting warm then it is probably getting a clock signal.

If you remove the RAM from the board and you are not getting any beeps you might want to check the data/address lines from the CPU to the UM8881F for continuity and possibly the data lines from the UM8881F to the BIOS ROM. There's probably no datasheet available for the UM8881F so you will have to work out which pins are what. If you can't get your probes into the CPU socket you can measure from the RAM sockets. I fixed a board recently where even though all the data lines looked good (UM8498F), one pin (D27) had separated from the board. It took me about 4 days to find the fault.

If you had a logic analyzer you could populate the external cache and monitor the data lines, checking reads against a copy of the BIOS ROM.