Does one even exist?!?

regards,
Law

Reply 1 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First though: why on earth pair a V5-5500 with a Prescott?

They're hardly from the same period, and if you don't care about that, why not go for a Northwood, which:
- is at least as fast as Prescott
- runs cooler
- has far wider choice of motherboards when it comes to AGP

But if you really want to team the two up, you need a Prescott-supporting So478 board with universal AGP, so 4x (2.0). It's the chipset that determines the AGP version, so you'll want something from Intel i845 or i850 series, SiS 645 or 650, Via P4X266, ALi Aladdin-P4 or ATi RS2xx - and then find a board with one of those, 3.3V AGP and Prescott support. That's going to be a challenge, as these are 2000-2002 era chipsets and Prescott wasn't launched until 2004... a quick check of Asus and MSI support sites shows that their flagship models with the latest of these chipsets don't do Prescott (BIOS limitation and probably TDP too).

Asrock is the only manufacturer with multiple boards that will do stuff like this, take a look here:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/SiS/GE%20PRO-M2/index.asp#CPU
https://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/M266A%20R3.0/index.asp#CPU
(note: 2.4GHz Prescott is supported, 3.06GHz not, almost certainly due to TDP)
(also note: Asrock's Intel 845x chipset boards do AGP 4x, but only at 1.5V, so no V5 possible)

Last edited by dionb on 2019-11-12, 09:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too problematic. Easier to get Athlon XP 3000+ with KT333.
Alternatively you can just buy AGP-to-PCI adapter and use any Pentium 4 board you like.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 13, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LawAngTee wrote:
Wondering if there's a fitting mobo around for a Voodoo5 5500 AGP A0 1900 supporting a Pentium 4 Prescott... […]
Show full quote

Wondering if there's a fitting mobo around for a
Voodoo5 5500 AGP A0 1900
supporting a
Pentium 4 Prescott...

Yes. Some motherboards with the SiS 651 chipset support Socket 478 Prescott P4 CPUs and AGP 2X. (You don't want just AGP 4X or AGP 1.5V support. Only acquire a motherboard if its manufacturer states that it supports AGP 2X, Universal AGP or AGP 3.3V and its AGP slot has no key.)
Further reading: /viewtopic.php?f=46&t=47310
And when you've acquired this motherboard, first test it with a cheap AGP 2X card with no 1.5V notch (such as a RIVA TNT or a Rage XL) before you put an expensive Voodoo 5 AGP in it.

Last edited by STX on 2019-11-12, 13:23. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 4 of 13, by LawAngTee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:
First though: why on earth pair a V5-5500 with a Prescott? […]
Show full quote

First though: why on earth pair a V5-5500 with a Prescott?

They're hardly from the same period, and if you don't care about that, why not go for a Northwood, which:
- is at least as fast as Prescott
- runs cooler
- has far wider choice of motherboards when it comes to AGP

But if you really want to team the two up, you need a Prescott-supporting So478 board with universal AGP, so 4x (2.0). It's the chipset that determines the AGP version, so you'll want something from Intel i845 or i850 series, SiS 645 or 650, Via P4X266, ALi Aladdin-P4 or ATi RS2xx - and then find a board with one of those, 3.3V AGP and Prescott support. That's going to be a challenge, as these are 2000-2002 era chipsets and Prescott wasn't launched until 2004... a quick check of Asus and MSI support sites shows that their flagship models with the latest of these chipsets don't do Prescott (BIOS limitation and probably TDP too).

Asrock is the only manufacturer with multiple boards that will do stuff like this, take a look here:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/SiS/GE%20PRO-M2/index.asp#CPU
https://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/M266A%20R3.0/index.asp#CPU
(note: 2.4GHz Prescott is supported, 3.06GHz not, almost certainly due to TDP)
(also note: Asrock's Intel 845x chipset boards do AGP 4x, but only at 1.5V, so no V5 possible)

thx for your detailed answer.

reason = because I've gotten these 2 procs for free and would love to build a powerful V5 machine... 😉

it's that simple.

but finding the right mobo isn't...

Reply 5 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LawAngTee wrote:

reason = because I've gotten these 2 procs for free and would love to build a powerful V5 machine... 😉

it's that simple.

but finding the right mobo isn't...

Well, since it's about having gotten the CPUs for free, you have to factor everything in...

For example, if you could get "the right mobo" for this setup for $200, or as an alternative you can get a different mobo for, say, $100 and a compatible CPU for another $10, which would make your build easier / more stable - what would be the better choice? 😉

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed, you can get Northwood CPUs for (near) free as well, and AthlonXPs too. Both would be a far easier, more natural choice for the V5, cheaper too as you can take pretty much any universal motherboard, and it's unlikely the Prescott would be faster.

Reply 7 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and it's unlikely the Prescott would be faster.

It's more or less on par or slightly slower, when it comes to old software and games that Voodoo 5 can handle.

Reply 8 of 13, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really want find the Northwood p4 1.4A. TDP is only 38 W.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 10 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MKT_Gundam wrote:

What about a Socket 478 Northwood Pentium 4-M? Is there a way for them to work in any desktop motherboard?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asus CT-479 adapter.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Downclock Pentium 4 2800/800 to 400Mhz bus and drop voltage below 1.45v (1.1-1.2v if your motherboard can allow it). TDP below 30w should be possible.

Reply 13 of 13, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

What about a Socket 478 Northwood Pentium 4-M? Is there a way for them to work in any desktop motherboard?

IIRC the mobiles are locked to the lowest multiplier and there is no way to change it = slow and useless... as AGP 3.3V boards are not very good at overclocking.

meljor wrote:

Asus CT-479 adapter.

As far as I know only works on few selected Asus i865 / 875 and later boards. Also it is meant to run Pentium M on desktop board, not Pentium 4-M.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware