VOGONS

First post, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons.
Recently I received the DFI G586IPV motherboard (it's Socket 7, 430VX, random photo in attachment). I'm using it with Pentium 166 MMX, 8MB SIMM.
Anyway, I have some issues with it:

- auto detecting the CD drive in BIOS takes ages (15-20 seconds); anyway it doesn't detect it at the end. I tried other cables, drives.
- when I try to boot from floppy, it starts to do it but after 3-5 seconds it stops. I've tried other cables, floppy drives, diskettes.
- sometimes my HDD is representing with many ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! characters
- once I had random characters in the boot screen - but my graphics card is 100% OK

Also booting the WIn95 from the HDD causes reset after 10 seconds from the start.
I've tried different power supplies, different RAM.

Looks like both IDE and floppy controller are dead, but... Artifacts, floppy, IDE, I think it's too much just for controller. It looks more like voltage issue, but I don't know which elements are most likely to dead.

No bulging caps, basically most of the caps are < 10 uF. Only two of them, from the voltage regulator circuit, are bigger (but still: visually they're OK).

Vogons, do you have any ideas how to start? I'd like to repair this motherboard and use it in one of my builds.

Attachments

• vog.jpg
    Filename
    vog.jpg
    File size
    1003.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What HDD are you using? Random characters can be a sign that it's not been detected properly. 8GB or less are best for testing.
How are you connecting the drives? HDD as primary on IDE1 and CD as primary on IDE2 would be best.

Reply 2 of 13, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried some 2GB and 6GB hard disks. HDDs are 100% OK.
I've also tried different channels.

It's definitely some defective element on the motherboard. But I don't know how to start with this case. (it's not only issue with IDE, but floppy, IDE, and sometimes graphics).

Reply 3 of 13, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It could be a cold solder joint on one of the chips. Try to push the chipset against the PCB before switching it on and keep it pressed. If it works then you have at least found a clue. I am not sure which chips are responsible for the IO.

Reply 4 of 13, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have experienced similar behaviors when RAM caching, burst and wait state settings in BIOS weren't appealing to the whole configuration. Resetting to defaults and tweaking the settings step by step helped. Otherwise you really might have some fault on the board.

Reply 6 of 13, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some earlier BIOS versions of that era won't detect a CD-ROM drive automatically and can cause a delay with boot, therefore setting it to "None" in the BIOS usually resolves that (DOS & Windows can still use it with this setting). Have you tried booting with the CD-ROM drive disconnected?

With regards to the random characters representing the HDD, I've seen that before with slightly damaged IDE cables. If the system fails to detect the HDD correctly, it may indeed stop it booting from floppy also. I see you've already tried changing cables, so my recommendation is try a known good working IDE cable with just the HDD connected as Master and try to boot from Floppy. If it boots, check FDISK to see if it's reporting the correct size for the HDD.

Reply 7 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As its not a photo of your actual board can we assume that yours is at least the same PCB revision (CA) :

- what combination of cache do you have? - onboard only, onboard + coast and totalling 256K or 512K

- do you have the latest bios for your boards revision / hardware?

I have this board revision with 512K onboard and latest bios - will check how mine compares.

Reply 8 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a follow-up to the above, I've checked with my board (pictured) and can't replicate any of your issues

DFI G586IPV_C_tested.jpg
Filename
DFI G586IPV_C_tested.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license

Board is rev. CA with latest bios (dated 03/07/97) and 512K of on-board cache, and tested with Pentium 200 MMX & 32MB memory (2 x 16 in Bank 0), S3 Vision868 video and a random PSU I had to hand with an ATX to AT converter cable .

I used an IBM 4.3GB HDD on primary master, an LG CD-ROM drive (set to None) on secondary master and a standard 1.4M floppy drive as A:. They were added individually, in that order, with a reboot in-between and there was no failure to detect, no lock-ups and no screen corruption.

After the Award copyright string appeared on-screen, I'd say it was 4-6 seconds to detect all the drives, maybe another 2-3 seconds to the secondary POST / configuration screen and the floppy started booting (in my case Win 98) within a second of this.

Can't think of much else to suggest - maybe double-check the voltage jumpers. Other than that, looking like a board fault.

Reply 9 of 13, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might be an I/O issue from the Southbridge, but, that's my theory. Do you have an ISA controller card that has FDD and IDE that you can test with? Make sure the on-board IDE and FDD are disabled.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10 of 13, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My board looks exactly like yours, @PC Hoarder Patrol.

Sadly, I tried some solutions, but nothing helped:
- I've reflowed the board to make sure it's not a cold solder joint,
- I've disabled L2 cache in bios.

Maybe I should reflash the bios? @PC Hoarder Patrol are you able to backup your bios and send it here as attachment?

Reply 11 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although I'd be surprised if it's a bios issue, I've attached a backup of my current version (the newest one issued prior to the Y2K one) and a shot of the bios string on the POST screen. Also, pretty much every version ever issued and associated manuals can be found here though.

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Dfi/man … 6ipv/index.html (read IPV.TXT first, to check what's what).

As I mentioned previously, remember there are different versions for 256K /512K cache boards (mine is 512K on-board i.e. no cache upgrade slot)

Filename
IPV_BAK.zip
File size
108.87 KiB
Downloads
46 downloads
File license
G586IPV BIOS String.jpg
Filename
G586IPV BIOS String.jpg
File size
401.85 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 13 of 13, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you @PC Hoarder Patrol for the BIOS image and for the link.

I'll try to update the BIOS. If it won't work - I'll try to swap the I/O chip from another motherboard as _UV_ said. I'll give the update then. Thanks