VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
Germany PC-store sent me 2pcs of different "Samsung 32mb 72pin SIMM RAM-combs".
- Same chips=8x "KM44C4104CK-6" but different placement and height is different 25mm vs 20mm...
- What exactly have I received are these even 32mb afterall ?
Will these work as a pair on a Pentium1 ?

Frustrated because I thought they would be identical. Are these Samsung ram combs ?

Attachments

• Ramsimm.jpg
    Filename
    Ramsimm.jpg
    File size
    109.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SIMMs are completely different, but if they have the same humber of the same chips they will work the same way.

You've only photographed one side, but both have 8 km44c4104ck-6 4Mx4 16Mbit chips on them. That's 16MB on one side. If there are 8 identical chips on the other side, they'll be 32MB in total per SIMM. If not, it's 16MB per SIMM, 32MB for the two.

Last edited by dionb on 2019-11-12, 14:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SIMM is itself is just a piece of PCB, so long as the traces are good it's not relevant for performance or compatibility - it's the chips that determine that. No idea as to the brands.

So yes, if both have 16 4Mx4 chips on them, they are both double-sided 32MB SIMMs (note: "double-sided' doesn't refer to chips physically on both sides, but to 64 data lines per SIMM, as opposed to 32 for single-sided - usually that means chips on both sides, but not necessarily) with the same structure, so will work together. If they are good.

Reply 4 of 6, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone recognize this logo of a Germany RAM maker ?

Attachments

• Ram22.jpg
    Filename
    Ram22.jpg
    File size
    43.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Ram12.jpg
    Filename
    Ram12.jpg
    File size
    65.79 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just for the record: while the Pentium 1 needs pairs of PS/2 modules due to its 64-bit data path, there is no such thing as dual channel, interleaving, or similar. That means you can use completely different modules without any issues. There's no rule saying that you must use matching pairs. As long as they meet the required specs, they will work.

Reply 6 of 6, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of the Simms I bought have extremely thin small surface mount looking RAM chips.

Not sure if this was common or just EOL chip work
The specs of these modules was nothing special but they looked interesting